Dental Collection In Texas

Hi I need some help with a dental bill from December 2020 in Texas. My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed and both myself and my wife had dental coverage.

The dentist billing office through a series of screwups didn’t properly submit the claim to my insurance as secondary insurance within the time period allowed by the insurance company.  The billing department kept submitting my information to my wife’s insurance instead of my daughters information to my insurance 

I have tried for months after the procedure to get it straightened out and have emails I sent to the dentist office and a voicemail from them stating they will take it out of internal collections and submit properly to the insurance. They stated this could take 6-18 months in the voicemail from around sometime in 2021. 

today I received a collection notice from TEK Collect out of OH.

i am not trying to beat the system but i have done everything i could to assist in getting them paid . However i don’t feel i should pay the entire amount when a large portion would have been covered by insurance.

i would appreciate any help 

Edited by forthekids

I hope you kept records of your attempts to get this resolved.

At this point you are almost past the 4 year SOL (statute of limitations) for being sued for this "debt".

https://whychat.me/States/state-tx.html

If you receive any communication from the CA you need to respond with a request for validation and a denial of the claim.

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

Please use the pertinent portions .

If you have not recently checked your credit reports please do so immediately:

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Meanwhile contact your insurance Co. and get whatever records they may have about this claim. It is possible that they did in fact pay something to the dental office or denied the claim for some reason.

You should also "google" the name of the dental office and add the word "complaints" to your search.

Posted (edited)

Thank you whychat 

I have emails to the dental office giving them exact details of how to submit the claim that I received from delta dental . I also have a voicemail from the dentist stating they are going to submit the claim.

The insurance didn’t pay because the dental office submitted the claim outside timely filing.it and was filed almost two years after service. During all of this the insurance company suggested I file a grievance through them. 

everytime I think this is over it pops up again. It was taken out of collections over a year ago and here we are again. 

Do you think I should call the dentist and offer to pay what would have been out of pocket should they have submitted on time ? 

also do I use this letter you are referring to ? Is this the first step ?

There is nothing on my credit report as of today . I only received the CA letter yesterday 

This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed.
Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), I have the right to request validation of the debt you say I owe you. I am requesting proof that I am indeed the party you are asking to pay this debt,the date of the alleged medical service, the name of the patient and that there is some contractual obligation which is binding on me to pay this debt.

Edited by forthekids
Additional clarity

I do NOT suggest you contact the dentist or the CA in any manner that would suggest that you are willing to pay anything. That would be an open invitation to file suit against you for the entire amount plus legal fees.

The language in the letter that you copied to this post is ABSOLUTELY necessary as the CA would have to submit not only complete account records but an assignment from the dentist of the account that INCLUDES YOUR SIGNED HIPAA RELEASE.

Without a COMPLETE assignment the CA has NO right to collect on a medical debt,

Make sure you have a copy of your insurance company's EOMB and a copy of their denial of the claim because of their failure to file in a timely manner.