Master 2024 Approvals and CLIs Thread (Post Yours!)

TheVig

On 3/20/2024 at 8:19 PM, greendeh said:

At least for the Chase Amazon Prime there is a "Request a Credit Limit Increase" under the "More" drop down on the website.

I have used it. Soft pull.

I don't know how I missed this post, but I also requested a CLI on my CFU quite recently through their web site and was not notified of a hard pull.  I am waiting a couple days to pull my full reports and make a comprehensive post.

@DarkSteel

I can answer that, but not sure how relevant it is.

I applied on 2024-02-18

Experian was someplace between 730 and 748

I applied as a sole proprietor.

There was no hard pull on any of the the Big 3 and there is also no record of any soft pulls.

Last Amex soft pull was 2023-08-12

• 2 weeks later...

Approved after ID verification for Comenity B&H PayBoo. SL was $2,350.  That wasn’t enough for what I needed to buy so I hit the CLI button. I was instantly approved for another $1k! 

I needed to buy a new MacBook Pro as I am going to law school in the fall, so I’m using this Paybooboo card for that to save the sales tax.

Here we go, summary of this year's shenanigans:

I went AZEO a couple months ago to try to position myself best for some CLIs on my various cards, most of which were actually opened last year so this would be the first one for four of them.  I was specifically targeting Discover and Citi, so I came as close as I could to maxing those for a couple months leading up to going AZEO.

Citi Diamond Preferred was $500 opened 7/29/23 denied 2/27/24 "Serious Delinquency" denied 3/28/24 "your account hasn't been open long enough to be considered for an increase."

Macy's AmEx (actually a Citi card) was $2000 opened 9/22/23 approved for $5k 3/24/24

Discover It was $2000 opened 7/29/23 denied 11/3/23 (I know that was early but I did see reports of someone getting approved at 4.5 months so I figured no harm in trying) "INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT" approved for $5000 2/15/24

Capital One Quicksilver was $10k opened 7/12/23 approved for $14,500 2/21/04

Chase Freedom Unlimited was $18,400 opened 7/25/07 approved for $22k 3/4/24 (this one I also got an auto-CLI about a year ago, after I paid off a 0%BT with them which zeroed out my total utilization.  It was also a Slate prior to then, they PCd me to a CFU without my asking.)

Bank Of America Customized Cash Rewards $32,600 opened 4/30/12 left this one alone (this one I also got an auto-CLI last year about the same time as the CFU)

The first Citi denial I'm certain was because of some late payments starting January 2018.  What happened was a charge hit my old Citi card that I didn't see (I was dealing with a lot of stuff at the time, not the least my ex having brain surgery and also some legal troubles, not that that's an excuse) and I made payments, but Citi had made the minimum payment higher than the payments I had set up, and they actually closed the card before I even noticed there was an issue.  I'm going to keep working on them though since they sort-of let me back in I'm going to try to rehab my status with them.

I just pulled my reports again and there are no HPs since the initial ones when I opened the cards above; no HPs for any CLIs even though I requested all of them.  HPs when I opened the cards were all on Experian (Cap1, Citi (twice), Discover) except for Capital One which pulled all three - so right now I have four HPs on Experian and one on TU and Equifax.

I think I requested $15k from Capital One and they countered with $14,500.  The others I just open ended requested a CLI and the amounts I got are what they offered.

One thing I noticed was that Citi is a bit behind on what they think my credit score is.  I figured out on which date they pull it, but when I requested a CLI they referenced in the rejection letter a score from over a month prior.  It appears that it takes ~10 days after the pull for your score to appear on their web site, and whatever is showing on the web site is the score that they look at when they evaluate you for a CLI.  This was dramatic because I'd been maxing out both my Citi and Discover cards before going AZEO.  Just something to keep in mind if you are angling for a CLI on a Citi card.

At this point I'm going to keep trying with Citi but other than that I guess I'm done for another 6 mos. or so.  I probably won't bother going through the exercise of going AZEO again but then again other than Citi I can't actually max any cards anymore on organic spend unless it's a one time large purchase.  I'm still using the Discover as my DD because even though this quarter's categories don't work for me, I am still in a promo period where they'll supposedly double my cash back after a year - so my util on that card will be a little high until I can get the limit up higher on it.

Any advice on anything I should be doing at this point would be appreciated.  I *may* be looking to buy a vehicle within the next year; the original plan was a house but interest rates have put that on hold so I've been saving aggressively instead.  I have thought about trying to PC my Quicksilver to a Savor One, but that doesn't seem to be offered (I have a standing offer to PC to Venture One, but I really don't have much use for a travel card.)  I'm not prequalified for anything good with Cap1 anymore; only the "for good credit" versions and I don't feel like taking a 3 bureau HP hit for no SUB.

And now, as John Leguizamo would say, we return you to your regularly scheduled program...

8 hours ago, greendeh said:
On the 12th I applied for the US Bank Cash+ again. I had tried about 9 months ago and got an immediate "Nope"

This time I got a 'We will think about it and send you a denial letter in 10 days"

Just got an email from them saying I was approved for the Cash+ at 7500.

Congrats! I love mine. I went the secured route to get in with them because I knew it would be a denial. I have an unsecured one now and it makes me money every single month on my internet and cell phone bills. My DH has one too and we use it for other utilities and sporting goods stores (mostly shoes).

13 hours ago, greendeh said:
On the 12th I applied for the US Bank Cash+ again. I had tried about 9 months ago and got an immediate "Nope"

This time I got a 'We will think about it and send you a denial letter in 10 days"

Just got an email from them saying I was approved for the Cash+ at 7500.
4 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

Congrats! I love mine. I went the secured route to get in with them because I knew it would be a denial. I have an unsecured one now and it makes me money every single month on my internet and cell phone bills. My DH has one too and we use it for other utilities and sporting goods stores (mostly shoes).

Do either of you have any other relationship with USB?  Who do they pull when you apply?  I was wondering if I should try them as well; the HPs from last year will be a year old in July.  Or should I wait until next year when my one derog falls off?  Just thinking it would be nice to add institutions just in case, right now I have four not counting Fidelity (401(k) and investment account) and Barclays (HYSA)

7 minutes ago, supern8ural said:

Do .. you have any other relationship with USB?

Nope. They won't even approve me for a savings account.

Funny? thing is when I called in to ask why I was declined for a savings account again, the CSR said she saw the application but I would have to wait for the denial letter for the reason. THEN immediately said "Would you like to open a checking account?"

I laughed and said "But you won't even let me have a savings account"

I was actually expecting to receive another Cash+ denial letter and then waste 30 to 60 minutes on the phone in a fruitless recon attempt.

And they pulled Trans Union both times for me in Michigan.

13 hours ago, supern8ural said:

Do either of you have any other relationship with USB?  Who do they pull when you apply?  I was wondering if I should try them as well; the HPs from last year will be a year old in July.  Or should I wait until next year when my one derog falls off?  Just thinking it would be nice to add institutions just in case, right now I have four not counting Fidelity (401(k) and investment account) and Barclays (HYSA)

I didn’t have any type of relationship with them. I believe they pulled Experian for my approval as well as the DH’s. I’ve seen people with super high scores get denied, so that’s why I went the secured route. When I got the card, I still had derogatory items on my report, so I would have had to wait several more years to get the card and then it would still be an iffy approval. 

• 2 weeks later...

Denied again for a CLI on my Citi card...  I waited a couple days longer than a month after my last request because that would put me past 9 months from opening the card, as last month their reason for denial was "your account hasn't been open long enough to be considered for an increase."  Will let you all know what it is this month... I'm not sure why they even gave me the card in the first place if I'm so in the doghouse with them.

9 hours ago, supern8ural said:

Denied again for a CLI on my Citi card...  I waited a couple days longer than a month after my last request because that would put me past 9 months from opening the card, as last month their reason for denial was "your account hasn't been open long enough to be considered for an increase."  Will let you all know what it is this month... I'm not sure why they even gave me the card in the first place if I'm so in the doghouse with them.

Same message as last month: "At this time, we're unable to approve this request because your account hasn't been open long enough to be considered for an increase."

It has now been open 9 months plus one day, not sure what they want from me?  anyone have any guidance as to when they may actually grant it?  There's no downside to asking every month as long as they don't start doing HPs is there?

• 2 weeks later...

Discover It was $2000 opened 7/29/23 denied 11/3/23 (I know that was early but I did see reports of someone getting approved at 4.5 months so I figured no harm in trying) "INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT" approved for $5000 2/15/24 denied 5/15/24

In the past it seemed that people could get a CLI after 3 months from a previous one, but I didn't make the cut.  Figured I'd try because I just cut a statement balance of $3K/5K due to some auto repairs I didn't feel like doing myself.  Will post reason when I get it.

@supern8ural

Might want to extend by a few days

02/15 to 5/15 is 89, 90, or 91 days depending if the beginning and end days are included.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=2&d1=15&y1=2024&m2=5&d2=15&y2=2024

Personally if I were going for a 90 day something I would err on the side of caution and went for 05/18 as my minimum. That way the days would be unarguably 91 without 1st and last day included.

And in case someknob would argue that July 31 days - August 31 days - September 30 days = 92 then I would choose my days to be 93 without 1st and last day included.

On 5/15/2024 at 3:19 PM, supern8ural said:

Discover It was $2000 opened 7/29/23 denied 11/3/23 (I know that was early but I did see reports of someone getting approved at 4.5 months so I figured no harm in trying) "INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT" approved for $5000 2/15/24 denied 5/15/24

In the past it seemed that people could get a CLI after 3 months from a previous one, but I didn't make the cut.  Figured I'd try because I just cut a statement balance of $3K/5K due to some auto repairs I didn't feel like doing myself.  Will post reason when I get it.

Well, this is certainly interesting but not in a good way - got three rejection reasons this time:

NUMBER OF RECENTLY OPENED REVOLVING ACCOUNTS AS REPORTED BY AGENCY

HIGH BALANCE ON YOUR ACCOUNT
HISTORY OF INCREASING BALANCE ON YOUR ACCCOUNT

a) I only opened one account *after* opening my Discover account (actually Citi the same day, and then a Macy's AmEx about 2 months later - nothing after that, and obviously both of those have been open for months)

b) high balance?  I cut a statement balance of $3K last month.

c) of course my balance increased, before I was maxing the card out at its $2K limit and then putting some of my spend on other cards.  When they finally gave me a CLI I used it more...?  Or is it that I went AZEO so my balance was $0 in February then ~$230 in March before I went back to spending organically?

I should point out that despite having a 0% promo, I have not once not paid my statement balance in full every month.  I may let a little roll over this month but I am nowhere near my due date yet, and I am going to pay it all off next month.

I was really liking this card up to this point, but now I am getting the vibe that they're regretting giving me credit in the first place.  In any case, unless they're just making up reasons to deny me, it seems that the common wisdom of "Discover likes to see spend" may not be true anymore?  I am pretty disappointed though, I figured I could get a couple more CLIs and get this card up to a useful level because it really has been pretty much my DD card since I got it.

My spend may go down after my double cash back promo period ends (in 2 months I think?) when I'll switch over to my CFU for non category spending so maybe that'll make them happier?  Oddly Capital One who has a reputation for stuff like this started me at 10k and gave me a CLI to a respectable $14,500 which if Disco would do the same I'd be perfectly content.  Oh well at least I now have three cards with >$10k limits so there's that.  And Disco isn't as rough as Citi, although now I'm scared they may balance chase me when I do pay my bill.

On 5/15/2024 at 8:44 PM, greendeh said:

@supern8ural

Might want to extend by a few days

02/15 to 5/15 is 89, 90, or 91 days depending if the beginning and end days are included.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=2&d1=15&y1=2024&m2=5&d2=15&y2=2024

Personally if I were going for a 90 day something I would err on the side of caution and went for 05/18 as my minimum. That way the days would be unarguably 91 without 1st and last day included.

And in case someknob would argue that July 31 days - August 31 days - September 30 days = 92 then I would choose my days to be 93 without 1st and last day included.

Well as you can see that wasn't the reason they gave but honestly I wasn't even paying attention.  Had I realized that it had been exactly three months to the day, I might have waited 2-3 more days to apply.

I guess we'll never really figure out what these issuers want to see, we'll always just be trying stuff and guessing.

@supern8ural

"Well as you can see that wasn't the reason they gave"

Stated reasons for denial may be valid, except when then absolutely aren't. They are general guidelines at best.

Reminds me of horoscopes, palm reading, police court testimony, and chinese fortune cookies.

----
"got three rejection reasons this time"

"Creditors are required by law to provide you with an adverse action notice if your application was denied due to something found in your credit report."

Well, that leaves all reasons stated to be infinitely broad and sweeping. The legal requirement is to communicate an AA notice, not to have the reasons be valid.

----

"unless they're just making up reasons to deny me"

The "common wisdom" of each "issuers preferences" are not "rules". They are guidelines to position yourself for the best chance of not receiving a "Denied Jus Cuz"

Even the 5/24 rule isn't 100% canon and has been broken.

----
Reality-
Reason for approval: 'Cuz we said yes
Reason for denial: Jus 'cuz
-
I was approved: WooHoo!
I was denied: Haters! Maybe next time.

----

"I guess we'll never really figure out what these issuers want to see, we'll always just be trying stuff and guessing."

A parable I learned many years ago.
----

A bum is walking on a beach and finds a lamp. He picks it up and rubs the dirt off and out pops a Genie.

The Genie says "Odoriferous One, for freeing me you get one wish."

The guy says "Well, why don't I get 3 wishes?" and the genie replies "Inflation! You get 1 wish. What do you want?"

The guy thinks about it and says
"I've always wanted to visit Europe, but I'm afraid of flying. Also, I am afraid of cruise ships because they don't have enough life boats"
-insert fake AI news article link here-
"So I would like you to build me a bridge from Florida to Spain so I can drive there"

The genie says "That wont work. The logistics of building a bridge that long, the sheer amount of materials required, the depth of the ocean, and the structure needed to support a bridge of that magnitude. No, I don't want to do that so choose something else."

The guy is a little disappointed but he thinks about it and says "Well, I would like to know what women are thinking and what they feel. And what does "Do whatever you want" really mean?"

The genie replies "So, do you want that bridge to be 2 lane or 4..."