A very special communication from Wells Fargo ...

hdporter

November 14, 2023

Dear HP;

During a recent review of our current and former customer accounts, our records indicated that you were enrolled in the Identity Theft Protection - Affinion product.  The enrollment began April 26, 2007 and ended May 21, 2007.

What you may need to know

If you feel that the enrollment in this product was not authorized or not wanted by you, please call us within 60 days of this letter so that we may care for any impact this enrollment may have caused.  Otherwise, no action is needed.

Given what's on my plate lately, I'm taking a pass on their "care for any impact".

< But it's so tempting to f*** around with them, given the precious opportunity that's hit my mailbox! ... > 

I'd love to know (in seeking me out after 16 years), just how many jillions of such letters are polluting the mailboxes of America.

I actually called Wells Fargo (not the number on the mail) about this because I thought it was fake? But they advised me to call that it was a real association to Wells Fargo  ?! 
I was on hold for way too long to actually get to the bottom of the actual mail though. 

This is not a scam. Wells Fargo is refunding what you were charged for the Affinion product. They are only sending letters to the customers that are due a refund. So if you got a letter then follow the instructions on it and call and get your money. The average amount due to an account holder is $100. 

1 hour ago, MarvBear said:

@hdporter  Wow HD,  you started an influx of newbies in this post.  

Yeah... *scratches head*... I think that's strange, was it just a bunch of unregistered lurkers who were for some reason moved by this post to finally sign up?

Or did hd's post go (sub)viral somehow...

3 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Yeah... *scratches head*... I think that's strange, was it just a bunch of unregistered lurkers who were for some reason moved by this post to finally sign up?

Or did hd's post go (sub)viral somehow...

Never underestimate the power of Google when something happens and people go, "What's up with that???"  😁

Thank you, KenOneCall! I just saw your advice and called the number on the letter I received. And guess what? They are sending me a check of $103.75!

The lady asked me if I authorized the enrollment the letter mentioned. I said I didn't remember (I believe if I said I did authorize, then they wouldn't send me anything).

Edited by AprilMurray

I would argue to the contrary regarding hd's post going "(sub)viral" given how far I had to search just to find ANY info on the understandably suspicious letter received, as I too, received a nearly identical letter. 

I was hoping to find out IF it was legit, and/or if I called the number therein, whether or not I'd be inviting a criminal into my life. It appears the letter has found others as well (myself included), so relating to- and posting because- we found hd's experience relatable is not only reasonable, but understandable. 

Btw, I found NOTHING on this using GOOGLE. I had to call in the Duck just to find THIS!

• Admin

Here is the link I found via google search and the information contained.

Wells Fargo is sending out a letter to inform customers of a refund they may be eligible for if they were charged for the Affinity Protection product, an identity theft protection service, between 2010 and 2016. The bank has identified that some customers may have been charged for the product even though they were not eligible for it or did not authorize the charge.

The letter states that customers who are eligible for a refund will receive a check in the mail for the full amount they were charged for the Affinity Protection product. Customers who have not received a check yet should expect to receive one within the next few weeks.

If you have any questions about the refund or if you believe you may be eligible for a refund but have not received one, you can contact Wells Fargo customer service at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).

Here is a summary of the key points from the letter:

• Wells Fargo is offering refunds for the Affinity Protection product, an identity theft protection service.
  • Some customers may have been charged for the product even though they were not eligible for it or did not authorize the charge.
  • Eligible customers will receive a check in the mail for the full amount they were charged for the product.
  • Customers who have not received a check should expect to receive one within the next few weeks.
  • If you have any questions, you can contact Wells Fargo customer service at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).

•  

• Admin

And I did another google search. And found the below.  Wells Fargo is having a little bit of trouble.

Wells Fargo is sending letters to customers who may be eligible for a refund of insurance premiums they were charged for without their knowledge or consent. The bank has identified approximately 570,000 customers who were affected by this issue, and they will be receiving letters in the coming weeks informing them of their eligibility for a refund.

The refunds will be issued for premiums paid on auto insurance policies that were sold to customers by Wells Fargo between December 2008 and November 2016. The bank has already begun issuing refunds to some customers, and they expect to have all of the refunds completed by the end of the year.

Customers who are eligible for a refund will receive a letter from Wells Fargo with instructions on how to claim their money. They can also visit the bank's website for more information.

Wells Fargo is apologizing for this error and is committed to making things right with its customers. The bank is also taking steps to prevent this from happening again.

Here is a copy of the letter that Wells Fargo is sending to affected customers:

Wells Fargo letter to customers regarding insurance refund

If you have any questions about the refunds, you can contact Wells Fargo customer service at 1-800-255-2338.

No letters to me. I feel left out. Wells Fargo has my oldest account, and I mean old. My father brought me and my siblings to a Crocker Bank branch (long merged with Wells Fargo) on Ventura Boulevard. We opened savings accounts. I was in the fourth grade. By the time I was in the sixth grade, I had $200 in the account. I felt like a rich corporate-hatemonger with all that money I saved. 💰 

fwiw, my WF account was a mortgage account.  I'm tickled that it appears that it (apparently) only took me 25 days to realize I'd been "hoodwinked".  I have to imagine I recovered any fees charged at the time.

Still, this seems a golden opportunity to screw around with a WF rep (especially over a 25 day subscription 16+ days ago).  However, the health saga in this household continues ...

------

Rather than readmit Bev to the hospital Dec 4 for a marrow transplant (stem cell transfusion), they're starting her on a renewed 5-session outpatient chemo run next week on consecutive days (looking to thin the cancerous cell herd further) before proceeding with the stem cell infusion in Jan.

And my little health sideshow is going strong:  Late Tuesday night I realized I hadn't retrieved the mail from our road-side mailbox.   I went out for it.  The drive is gravel, with a short span of poured concrete in front of steps up to our front door.  I have no idea what happened for sure, but it's likely my shoe caught the edge of the concrete on the way back in (the next-to-end toenail on my left foot is cracked and white, with purple bruising around the base).  I careened forward, so surprised that I failed to brace my fall, and cracked my forehead HARD on the edge of the bottom step.

I feared a torrent of blood, but my skull is apparently made from lead.  Just a modest couple of cuts (indents) to my forehead.  When that pain eventually dulled, I discovered the muscle tissue behind my right knee was a little worse for wear.  That made stair climbing a challenge.  But by the time I went into Mass Gen Wednesday am for my first pacemaker exam, most of that had settled down (some very modest residual swelling); no apparent need for additional attention.

Thanksgiving had been pretty uneventful when last night, around 9p, my right hand and wrist, which was caught on the fall between my pelvis and the pavement, started swelling and ramped up it's throbbing.  Went to bed a little after eleven, taking 2 Tylenol pm and a couple of melatonin chews.  As of 2:30a this morning I hadn't been able to sleep a wink, despite being fatigued.

I spent an hour cajoling Bev to wake up and take me in for an x-ray.  (In hindsight, should have left a note and Uber'd),  Just soft tissue damage; given a very nice brace to immobilize my wrist, with instructions to alternate Advil and Tylenol every 3 hours, until the pain relents, with occasional ice.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear between this and the cardiac incident I was trying to recapture some of Bev's drama ...  :(

• 1 month later...

is this a WELLS FARGO SCAM or has anyone actually received a check from this? i filed a claim november 2023, followed up with a call december '23, "your claim hasn't been approved yet" and getting the runaround.

AprilMurray "They are sending me a check of $103.75" sounds good but did you ever actually receive your check?

my grandmother received the same letter, she never authorized Affinion but when she called they responded to her, "we'll take care of it" without advising her of any type of refund.

On 11/24/2023 at 11:50 AM, Burgerwars said:

No letters to me. I feel left out. Wells Fargo has my oldest account, and I mean old. My father brought me and my siblings to a Crocker Bank branch (long merged with Wells Fargo) on Ventura Boulevard. We opened savings accounts. I was in the fourth grade. By the time I was in the sixth grade, I had $200 in the account. I felt like a rich corporate-hatemonger with all that money I saved. 💰 

That's funny. My first checking account at age 16 (co-signed by my Mother) was with Crocker Bank and came with a check guarantee card. It was also in the SFV. That card was the start of my credit history. I also still have WF accounts and have not gotten a letter regarding this product. There is still time....

• 1 month later...

Multiple people have received this letter.  WF is in big trouble for their practices and are trying to get ahead of it.  If you got that letter (or multiple letters), call the number on the letter and when they tell you the compensation you'll be receiving, state that isn't enough for the abuse of trust you endured (or something along those lines).  They will give you an additional $250 with no push back at all (and if you got multiple letters, $250 for each letter).  You will then get mediation paperwork with your check.  Fill it out and see what happens?  (I have my check, but doing research on the mediation form which brought me here.  Supposedly some people are getting $1700 from the mediation paperwork with the original payment amount being under $50, on top of the original amount+$250)