DW (Bev's) Leukemia/Health update

hdporter

First, apologies for starting a thread of posts buried in the "MyFICO Condones ..." thread.  I think the first post was just me blowing off steam.  Hadn't intended to go on.  Without referring back, I believe the first post dealt with pre-hospitalization symptoms, before leukemia was even on the table as a prospect ...

In any case, five weeks on Bev has responded thoroughly to the first course of chemo and it was discontinued a week ago.  Her blood cells are coming back nicely but a bit slow.  It was hoped her WBC's would be up to snuff sufficient for release today, but that wasn't the case, unfortunately.  They'll test daily, anticipating that it may not be until Monday that's she's ready to come home, but could be as soon as tomorrow.  (Apparently, once the marrow is back engaged, it ramps up blood cell production quickly.)

She'll return in 3-4 weeks time for a stem cell implant and another course of chemo.  In the interim, she'll be on what I've deemed "chemo-lite" via daily tablets.  I'm praying it doesn't play havoc with her digestive tract.  She's come through with moderate discomfort thus far, but nothing as bad as I had anticipated. 

Surprisingly, her profile served up a number of donor matches; the selected donor is a local, 26-year old male.  I was joking with a nurse that within weeks of final discharge, Bev will have taken up skateboarding and be growing a soul patch ...

Bev's WBC's weren't quite what were targeted, but her energy was reasonably strong and she pleaded for discharge.  I picked her up this afternoon!

So we're at half-time intermission ... the home team is ahead 😊  Praying the 2nd half proves as rewarding.  She readmits Dec 4.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts and well wishes; they're very much valued and appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fwiw, Bev's md's have switched up the plan.  They're being more aggressive in the war on her remaining cancerous marrow cells by bringing her in for 5 days out-patient infusion chemo, starting Wednesday.  She'll then stay home on oral therapy for a month before returning in Jan for a 3-wk stay when she'll receive the stem cell transplant (infusion).

Happy to be assured she won't be in the hospital for the holidays.  Apprehensive about the new chemo course.  Hoping for the best!

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating that Bev was hospitalized on Sunday with a 105 fever.  She's unfortunately acquired a blood-borne strep infection.  It's an unfortunate risk of the oral chemotherapy; no immune system that would otherwise fight off the bacterial intrusion, and instead it thrived in a nutrient rich environment.

The fever has been brought down with aggressive antibiotic administration, but the infection has spread to lungs and she's on an oxygen supplement.

We had hoped for discharge before Christmas, but it's looking like Tuesday, at the earliest.  They won't release her while she requires the current volume of oxygen she's being given.

I'm really hopeful Bev will be cut a break, before too long!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bev has been doing quite well.  She came home with an oxygen tank and 54 ft of hose (covered most of the house).  She was able to dispense with that within the week and her pneumonia cleared fully soon after.

So, she was admitted yesterday for her second phase of her treatment; a marrow stem cell transplant.

She's on intense chemo until Tuesday, with the transplant Thursday (cells are infused into her bloodsteam; they gravitate into her marrow).  If all goes well, the implanted marrow cells will take over blood cell production, effecting a cure for her leukemia.  Significant risk of tissue rejection ("host vs graft" disease); if it develops, treatment is complex.

If things go smoothly, she'll spend 3-4 weeks recovering in the hospital.  I'll update as there's news.

12 hours ago, hdporter said:

Bev has been doing quite well.  She came home with an oxygen tank and 54 ft of hose (covered most of the house).  She was able to dispense with that within the week and her pneumonia cleared fully soon after.

So, she was admitted yesterday for her second phase of her treatment; a marrow stem cell transplant.

She's on intense chemo until Tuesday, with the transplant Thursday (cells are infused into her bloodsteam; they gravitate into her marrow).  If all goes well, the implanted marrow cells will take over blood cell production, effecting a cure for her leukemia.  Significant risk of tissue rejection ("host vs graft" disease); if it develops, treatment is complex.

If things go smoothly, she'll spend 3-4 weeks recovering in the hospital.  I'll update as there's news.

Clearing pneumonia in itself is epic HD. Glad to hear it.

Absolutely, SR!  Her infection and fever spike last month were a real scare.  She was sufficiently delirious that she has no recollection of the first two days, including her transport to the hospital.

All things considered, we've been blessed to date!

I've decided to post continuing updates re Bev's "journey" to my Facebook page (an account maintained previously mostly just for the sake of simplified logins).

You're invited and most welcome to catch updates at https://www.facebook.com/harry.porter.5477

(I'll still share "watershed" events here.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never questioned the power of prayer, but now it's been made manifest before my eyes.  Bev's new marrow cells started churning out healthy blood cells/platelets Thursday. 2 weeks post her transplant.  Just three days later her cell counts are sufficient to discharge her tomorrow!

Nothing the docs previously conveyed led us to expect results this quickly; in fact, I had to fly home a day early from my "stress release getaway" upon hearing the news.

(Since I've been public about my "gambling vocation", I'll disclose here that I was in Biloxi MS and Atlantic City this week, where I sought a refuge from stress that was again shutting me down and indulged in the comfort of a few very good/supportive friends of myself and Bev who blanketed me with love.

Luck was particularly kind:  I returned with a $6k win 🙂)

I'm very appreciative of the kind support from members here these last 5 month's since Bev's initial leukemia diagnosis.  Having relocated to Boston just last spring, my local friends can be counted on one hand, and family (Bev's) is distant.  Your kindness and reassurance has been most therapeutic and soothing.  Thank you!