Best CU CCs?

gabbyraja

I've been here off and on for 12 years. I've been working on my credit the past 6. I began with a secured card and loan and now have a little over 30k in unsecured  cls. 

I'm here to ask for the list of the good credit unions. The ones with ccs that begin with higher limits than usual, get bigger (automatic) CLIs, etc. I know nfcu and Alliant were mentioned years ago (both included in my bk, so they're not options for me, unfortunately) and penfed (my best ccs are with them now). Who else?

(I did try to search, but couldn't find this specific info, sorry)

Edited by gabbyraja

For whatever this is worth, my scores are 791 EQ and 760's for the other two; NASA FCU pre-qualled me for $13,000ish.

I've not had accounts with CU's before so I couldn't tellya about CLI's.

Why are you focused just on CU's?  A number of banks are really good at this stuff as well.

13 hours ago, gabbyraja said:

I've been here off and on for 12 years. I've been working on my credit the past 6. I began with a secured card and loan and now have a little over 30k in unsecured  cls. 

I'm here to ask for the list of the good credit unions. The ones with ccs that begin with higher limits than usual, get bigger (automatic) CLIs, etc. I know nfcu and Alliant were mentioned years ago (both included in my bk, so they're not options for me, unfortunately) and penfed (my best ccs are with them now). Who else?

(I did try to search, but couldn't find this specific info, sorry)

best is subjective. For instance a lot of people think NFCU walks on water but I find its cards to be hohum at best.

I have several CU cards but none of them have a regular slot in my wallet.

What is it you seek?

UNFCU, NASA, PENFED, Patelco, etc. can have their place

Have you tried the Patelco pre-screen site?

FWIW when I was rebuilding my highest limits were with CUs but now that my reports are clean my highest limits are with evil, for-profit multinational corporations and on a paved road to he ll

The fact that there are/were some CU's that would issue high starting limits was touted very strongly here and "the other white meat" credit board for ages.  I never bit.

As hege points out, credit unions tend to have poor benefits on their credit cards; they don't make good "daily drivers".  (Alliant may be a key exception; I've no experience with them to speak.)

My experience is that any credit card issuer, that gives me reason to put through a good charge volume (even if for only 3-6 months), is very likely to be generous with CLI's.  And, over the years, I've built up $800k+ in credit limits without ever going after a card with an issuer having a rep for issuing cards with high limits.

On 11/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, hegemony said:

best is subjective. For instance a lot of people think NFCU walks on water but I find its cards to be hohum at best.

I have several CU cards but none of them have a regular slot in my wallet.

What is it you seek?

UNFCU, NASA, PENFED, Patelco, etc. can have their place

Have you tried the Patelco pre-screen site?

FWIW when I was rebuilding my highest limits were with CUs but now that my reports are clean my highest limits are with evil, for-profit multinational corporations and on a paved road to he ll

This is totally on the money. No doubt CU’s have their place however only for the short term. Turn the corner and aim higher, don’t worry so much about the CL, instead think 5 years down the road with the big banks.

• 2 weeks later...