Arizona tests a progressive take on medical debt relief

hegemony

I show a lack of empathy around here on many debt matters, so my street cred here is probably gonna take a hit on this one.

I say cap take the interest cap a step further. After x amount of months or years. The interest stops.

I might even be game for zero wage garnishment in some cases.

Even with insurance covering 75% or more of a million plus dollar organ transplant or heart operation. Does the hospital really think the average Joe Six Pack is gonna be able to cover the rest, in a reasonable amount of time? Not really, but hope springs eternal.

People who are innocent victims of crimes, that require medical attention should just get a pass on some level. Or just send the bill to the DA's office, and let him/her pay it since it was their decision to let Johnny Jack Leg back out on the street for the 30th time on a ankle monitor.

26 minutes ago, TheVig said:

I show a lack of empathy around here on many debt matters, so my street cred here is probably gonna take a hit on this one.

I say cap take the interest cap a step further. After x amount of months or years. The interest stops.

I might even be game for zero wage garnishment in some cases.

Even with insurance covering 75% or more of a million plus dollar organ transplant or heart operation. Does the hospital really think the average Joe Six Pack is gonna be able to cover the rest, in a reasonable amount of time? Not really, but hope springs eternal.

People who are innocent victims of crimes, that require medical attention should just get a pass on some level. Or just send the bill to the DA's office, and let him/her pay it since it was their decision to let Johnny Jack Leg back out on the street for the 30th time on a ankle monitor.

If one had injuries from a documented crime, most States have a Crime Victim Compensation Fund from which recompense may be had...

58 minutes ago, centex said:

If one had injuries from a documented crime, most States have a Crime Victim Compensation Fund from which recompense may be had...

True. But I'm told its a beotch of a system to navigate in most states to get paid.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:32 PM, TheVig said:

Back almost 20 years ago after I retired but before Medicare kicked in, I had no med. insurance. Had a few days in the hospital from an accident (my fault) and ran up a 40k bill. They had pulled my credit report at the time which resembled that of a homeless person since it had CAs and no credit accounts. I was in my debit card only days and knew nothing about credit. The finance office bugged me each day to sign up for this or that thing that would somehow pay them. I just said "I'll pay the bill. Leave me alone." And they'd come back the next day. Rinse and repeat. After I got out they sent a bill. I called and they offered up front that if I paid 40% of the bill they would close it. This was just a week or so after I got home! I did and that was that.

I think a lot of medical bills are grossly inflated because the insurance companies have an agreement to only pay a fraction of retail. It's a completely messed up system.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:32 PM, TheVig said:

my street cred here is probably gonna take a hit on this one.

This actually increases your street cred with me 🙂  I like people who show empathy.

7 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

I think a lot of medical bills are grossly inflated because the insurance companies have an agreement to only pay a fraction of retail. It's a completely messed up system.

Truer words were never spoken.  My granddaughter was overseas in Ireland (I think) a few years back and broke her arm in a tumble down some stairs at her hotel.  She was also unconscious so they feared she had a head injury.  Ambulance, ER, all sorts of MRIs and the like, cast, bone setting, etc. - she got out two days later.  The taxi fare back to the hotel was larger than her entire hospital bill.

16 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

There is no question about that...the discounts offered for cash-pay patients bears this out.  This is why it is cheaper for me to use my Platinum plan, the American Express Platinum, than to have one of the current offerings.  Cash discounts and things like GoodRX make things reasonably inexpensive and have no deductibles to be satisfied. 

My last MRI was a couple hundred dollars.