Eggs: A room-temperature sojourn

Sidewinder

Brought a dozen fresh eggs home last night but — doing a bunch of other tasks — ended up forgetting to put them in the fridge before going to bed.

: /

However, I heard/read somewhere that eggs take a totally long time to spoil; that they can sit at room temperature for a couple of days even and won't go bad... and even, that if they are properly refrigerated, they'll still be safe for consumption after (gulp) an entire year.

Any truth to any of this, or do I need to toss these?  : /

Toss em.  A simple Google search pretty much says after two hours unrefrigerated they should be tossed.  

More Egg Facts Than You Need

No, after eggs are refrigerated, it is important they stay that way. Maintaining a consistent, cool temperature is critical to safety. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating bacteria growth. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours before re-refrigeration.

• Admin

I grew up on a farm in the Appalachian Mountains. We always had chickens.  One of my jobs, my granny always sent me up to the barn hayloft to gather eggs.  The chickens used to roost a lot up there and make nests and lay their eggs.  I don't ever remember them being in the fridge.   My mom always kept them in a cabinet under her built-in oven.  When they got older along with my parents, we no longer looked after chickens, so we bought them from the A&P grocery store.   Those were always put in the fridge.

5 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Toss em.  A simple Google search pretty much says after two hours unrefrigerated they should be tossed.  

More Egg Facts Than You Need

No, after eggs are refrigerated, it is important they stay that way. Maintaining a consistent, cool temperature is critical to safety. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating bacteria growth. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours before re-refrigeration.

Of course, there is also the fact that the source has a vested interest in people buying more eggs.  "The Egg Safety Center represents commercial egg producers"

What is the environmentally conscious way to dispose of them?

Doesn't feel right to put non-synthetic foodstuffs into the landfill, but I'm not confident that they can go in the compost bin either.

I guess then that oddly, they ought to go in the recycle bin.

2 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Eggshells make a wonderful compost to your planting area and even gardens.

This.  What MarvBear says.

Also, used coffee grounds are great for gardens.  We have a worm farm going in our vegetable garden and the worms love eggshells and coffee grounds.  I drink too much coffee, so the worm's compost only gets half the grounds and the rest gets put on the soil where the tomatoes grow.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, Sidewinder said:

What is the environmentally conscious way to dispose of them?

Doesn't feel right to put non-synthetic foodstuffs into the landfill, but I'm not confident that they can go in the compost bin either.

I guess then that oddly, they ought to go in the recycle bin.

The very best way I have ever found to dispose of raw eggs is to throw that at my d-bag neighbor's house and car.  

• 1 month later...