Collection harassment tactic

Wachuwant

Hi All,

I am the relative of a person who has outstanding debt. The collections agencies over the years have called me along with other family members. We wish it would stop, but whatever, we're at least used to that tatic. We can call back, and tell them not to call a particular number again.  Today I had something different. Someone called my wife looking for the relative.  I called them back to tell them to stop calling. The person on the other end said that (paraphrasing here) "they are not the ones calling. It's some group that they hired, so they can't make them stop." The guy would not give me the number of the the supposed people who called, and things took a downturn from there ending in the guy using every swear word and insult his little brain could come up with. Is this the tatic now? Is this how they get around it being a harassing phone call? By hiring someone else to call, but when you call the number they left, you reach the people who hired the callers, and you're calling them, so they can do and say anything they want? That company deserves to have some legal action brought against them.  What can I do here?  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Wachuwant

• Admin

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

6 hours ago, Wachuwant said:

Hi All,

I am the relative of a person who has outstanding debt. The collections agencies over the years have called me along with other family members. We wish it would stop, but whatever, we're at least used to that tatic. We can call back, and tell them not to call a particular number again.  Today I had something different. Someone called my wife looking for the relative.  I called them back to tell them to stop calling. The person on the other end said that (paraphrasing here) "they are not the ones calling. It's some group that they hired, so they can't make them stop." The guy would not give me the number of the the supposed people who called, and things took a downturn from there ending in the guy using every swear word and insult his little brain could come up with. Is this the tatic now? Is this how they get around it being a harassing phone call? By hiring someone else to call, but when you call the number they left, you reach the people who hired the callers, and you're calling them, so they can do and say anything they want? That company deserves to have some legal action brought against them.  What can I do here?  Thanks for any advice.

welcome to CB!

There is no reason for you or your wife to call a CA "back"

What is the name of the company?

To the OP

I’ve been getting calls for years from boiler room collectors looking for relatives, even sometimes for me. 

Some even try scare tactics when leaving voicemails. My favorites are the ones that tell me someone needs to be home or at my place of work to accept papers in the next 24 to 72 hours. <<<<<< NOTE— No process server or law enforcement agency tells you they are coming to serve papers. If they did, no one would ever be home. A lot of these fecal for brains operations like to spoof their caller ID, making you think it’s someone local to you that’s calling. 

Like others have said. Don’t call them. If I don’t recognize the number, I simply don’t answer. 

1 hour ago, TheVig said:

NOTE— No process server or law enforcement agency tells you they are coming to serve papers. If they did, no one would ever be home.

This canard needs to die a painful death.  I know MANY process servers who seek to ensure a mutually agreeable time to serve papers.  A LOT of process is upon people who are not afraid of being in court or, who perhaps aren't fond of court but would rather have service somewhere OTHER than their place of employment (which is where a lot of dodgers WILL get served). 

It is a cost-mitigation measure, which in some cases is essential since ALL costs of prosecution can be taxed upon the losing party if the case goes to actual verdict. 

7 minutes ago, centex said:

This canard needs to die a painful death.  I know MANY process servers who seek to ensure a mutually agreeable time to serve papers.  A LOT of process is upon people who are not afraid of being in court or, who perhaps aren't fond of court but would rather have service somewhere OTHER than their place of employment (which is where a lot of dodgers WILL get served). 

It is a cost-mitigation measure, which in some cases is essential since ALL costs of prosecution can be taxed upon the losing party if the case goes to actual verdict. 

Around my parts it’s the Sheriff Office that does all the serving. I’ve been at the right place at the right time to see people get served at their place of employment. The embarrassment they must feel. 

I’ve seen vehicle repos at the work place too. Repo man pulled into a restaurant parking lot to take a car. A waitress comes out screaming and crying to take it off the hook. Supposedly her ex was supposed to be making the payments. 

And not all all process serving is doom and gloom either. I got served to testify on behalf of the state. I witnessed a head on collision. The serving was just a formality. Nothing negative on me. In full disclosure, I knew that I would be served. Highway Patrol gave me heads up. 

On 10/6/2022 at 3:54 AM, Wachuwant said:

Hi All,

They are legally liable for the actions of their underlings.  Sue them.