Need advice on what to do about credit card debt

Let me start out by saying that I have no late payments or anything bad on my credit reports. However my utilization is horrible and my scores are tanked because I have about 39K in credit card debt. I am struggling now because I just found out I have a brain tumor and of course with the cost of living going up, doctors bills, grocery prices, etc its getting harder and harder to survive. I need to make a decision and I am unsure of which route to take. Do I quit paying my cards and further ruin my credit? If I still pay some of my cards, will those get cancelled because of my score? Will credit card companies sue me? My score is not good enough to even try for a debt consolidation loan. And I dont even think I can afford bankruptcy. It really kills me to just not pay these but I don;t know what else to do. I would like to continue to pay on those that I can afford. Thank you for any advice.... 

• Admin

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

10 hours ago, Justmyluck said:

Let me start out by saying that I have no late payments or anything bad on my credit reports. However my utilization is horrible and my scores are tanked because I have about 39K in credit card debt. I am struggling now because I just found out I have a brain tumor and of course with the cost of living going up, doctors bills, grocery prices, etc its getting harder and harder to survive. I need to make a decision and I am unsure of which route to take. Do I quit paying my cards and further ruin my credit? If I still pay some of my cards, will those get cancelled because of my score? Will credit card companies sue me? My score is not good enough to even try for a debt consolidation loan. And I dont even think I can afford bankruptcy. It really kills me to just not pay these but I don;t know what else to do. I would like to continue to pay on those that I can afford. Thank you for any advice.... 

have you checked out the steps people in the money management subforum have taken to cut back spending and get on a budget?

What are your FICO scores?

You're in the right place for help but you need to give more details on the debt and financial situation.

Thank you for your reply. My scores are right at 600 with the exception of Experian being 671. My utilization is 51%. No late payments... I have worked very hard and have been on a tight budget to try and make sure they re never late but its getting harder and harder. Half of my cards have a zero balance while the other half are just about maxed out. I do not want to not pay them but I am struggling more and more especially with new medical bills I now have. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, Justmyluck said:

Thank you for your reply. My scores are right at 600 with the exception of Experian being 671. My utilization is 51%. No late payments... I have worked very hard and have been on a tight budget to try and make sure they re never late but its getting harder and harder. Half of my cards have a zero balance while the other half are just about maxed out. I do not want to not pay them but I am struggling more and more especially with new medical bills I now have. 

do you have a specific, realistic, and written budget?