Jafferson Capital

Fred030

Hi,

I have recently discovered that Jafferson Capital is reporting an account in the amount of $200 that I have paid off to Verizon in 2020 (I have a receipt). How should I tackle this without risking them reporting it as paid CA. Jafferson is a buyer from Verizon. Jafferson never sent me DV before reporting.

31 minutes ago, Fred030 said:

Hi,

I have recently discovered that Jafferson Capital is reporting an account in the amount of $200 that I have paid off to Verizon in 2020 (I have a receipt). How should I tackle this without risking them reporting it as paid CA. Jafferson is a buyer from Verizon. Jafferson never sent me DV before reporting.

As a Junk Debt Buyer they are subject to Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They reported a paid account as a Collection Account without giving you the opportunity to dispute it? How about you file a lawsuit for the FDCPA violation of Misrepresenting the Legal Character of the Debt (15 USC 1692e, FDCPA Section 807(2)(A)) claiming $1,000 Statutory Damages without giving them the opportunity to correct it? After all, FDCPA is a "Strict Liability" statute, maning once the violation is committed, they cannot un-violate it. As a lawyer will put it, "You can't put the fart back into he elephant."

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fred030 said:

Hi,

The blue portion I highlighted implies you received a dunning notice and you disputed, but that they never sent you a debt validation.  Is that the case?

47 minutes ago, Flyingifr said:

As a Junk Debt Buyer they are subject to Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They reported a paid account as a Collection Account without giving you the opportunity to dispute it? How about you file a lawsuit for the FDCPA violation of Misrepresenting the Legal Character of the Debt (15 USC 1692e, FDCPA Section 807(2)(A)) claiming $1,000 Statutory Damages without giving them the opportunity to correct it? After all, FDCPA is a "Strict Liability" statute, maning once the violation is committed, they cannot un-violate it. As a lawyer will put it, "You can't put the fart back into he elephant."

Objection.  Assumes facts not in evidence.

Things we know: OP claims they paid an account to an OC and that a third-party is now reporting.

Things we do NOT know: WHEN the $200 was paid relative to the default event, WHEN the third-party began reporting, WHEN the third-party acquired the account relative to the claimed payment, or, for that matter, whether OP even still lives at the same address originally associated with the VZN account.  We ALSO do not even know if they are looking at a paper report. 

There are FAR too many unknowns to recommend ANYONE seek to commence or even threaten litigation.  It is NOT wise to encourage people to enter the arena half-cocked.

31 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

The blue portion I highlighted implies you received a dunning notice and you disputed, but that they never sent you a debt validation.  Is that the case?

No, I actually did some reaerch on my end after Jafferson appeared on my files. I maintain a digital stoarge of receipts and invoices. From the CRA listing, I matched the account number to an account I had with Verizon that I paid in full in 2020. Back story (I was stuck overseas due to covid and when I arrived back into the US, it was already a collection within Verizon. I paid it off and received a receipt.)

Jafferson's report on CRA lists Jefferson as the debt buyer and also Verizon as an OC. According to the report, it was listed in June of 2022.

27 minutes ago, centex said:

Objection.  Assumes facts not in evidence.

Things we know: OP claims they paid an account to an OC and that a third-party is now reporting.

Things we do NOT know: WHEN the $200 was paid relative to the default event, WHEN the third-party began reporting, WHEN the third-party acquired the account relative to the claimed payment, or, for that matter, whether OP even still lives at the same address originally associated with the VZN account.  We ALSO do not even know if they are looking at a paper report. 

There are FAR too many unknowns to recommend ANYONE seek to commence or even threaten litigation.  It is NOT wise to encourage people to enter the arena half-cocked.

I have recently requested three CRA reports. That is where I saw the Jafferson. It was inserted in June of 2022. 

Debt became a collection July of 2020, I paid it off in Sept 2020 to Verizon and obtained a receipt. 

Verizon has my current address and address has not changed in between.

• Admin

What balance does the charge-off with Verizon show on your credit file(s)?  And what balance does the collection agency show on your credit file(s)?

Beyond that, you probably need to clarify some of the content which @centex called into question.

Whatever happened to the BK that you were contemplating in that era? 

And how does being 'stuck overseas' preclude logging in to make a payment on accounts you knew had payments due?  Something does not add up there. 

7 hours ago, MarvBear said:

What balance does the charge-off with Verizon show on your credit file(s)?  And what balance does the collection agency show on your credit file(s)?

Beyond that, you probably need to clarify some of the content which @centex called into question.

Verizon never reported the balance to CRA because I paid the balance off to Verizon before it was sent out to collection. If a Verizon CA appeared on my file, I would have given some weight to Jafferson's listing. But Verizon never reportec it. 

It is only the Jafferson listing showing the $201.

6 hours ago, centex said:

Whatever happened to the BK that you were contemplating in that era? 

And how does being 'stuck overseas' preclude logging in to make a payment on accounts you knew had payments due?  Something does not add up there. 

I never gone through with BK because I was too close to 7 year mark on my tardelines. Default occured in March 2016.

I was visiting family in remote areas of Pakistan (precisely on Afghan-Pakistan border). No internet and only a patchy telephone service. When I finally did log in, it was already late.

Reporting is only considered collection activity in a couple of circuits. Better check your case law before trying any lawsuits, the "violation" may not be one. In other words, until they dun you or take other legit collection activity (I don't see that in your post) they have no obligation to provide DV. In fact, if they provided you with the name of the creditor and the amount, they satisfied DV already, or will when they send a collection letter.

Issue two; you, like everybody else here, won't say where you live until we pry the information out of you. With a default date of March 2016, this is beyond any state with up to a 6 year SOL. They may never try to colllect for that very reason. If they do, well, then you may have a violation for collection on a time barred debt. The reporting should drop off around next March; this may not be worth a legal battle. It'll be extinct before you can get them into court.

11 hours ago, Fred030 said:

I never gone through with BK because I was too close to 7 year mark on my tardelines. Default for which I was exploring BK as a relief had occured in March 2016.

I was visiting family in remote areas of Pakistan (precisely on Afghan-Pakistan border). No internet and only a patchy telephone service. When I finally did log in, it was already late.

11 hours ago, MarvBear said:

I am not following the timeline too closely, but it might help to know how many days/months/years you were in arrears in the amount you owed to Verizon before you paid them off.

By July of 2020, I was 90 days behind on that account. I came back to US in Aug 2020 and On Sept 3, I paid it off to Verizon. At this point, it was not reported to any CRA. I then reactivated the service with Verizon. Now come May of 2022, Jafferson listed it as a CA

1 hour ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Reporting is only considered collection activity in a couple of circuits. Better check your case law before trying any lawsuits, the "violation" may not be one. In other words, until they dun you or take other legit collection activity (I don't see that in your post) they have no obligation to provide DV. In fact, if they provided you with the name of the creditor and the amount, they satisfied DV already, or will when they send a collection letter.

Issue two; you, like everybody else here, won't say where you live until we pry the information out of you. With a default date of March 2016, this is beyond any state with up to a 6 year SOL. They may never try to colllect for that very reason. If they do, well, then you may have a violation for collection on a time barred debt. The reporting should drop off around next March; this may not be worth a legal battle. It'll be extinct before you can get them into court.

I agree that going to court without exploring other options is tardy step. Also asking for a DV is not my purpose because they can simple print and mail out a letter with amount and OC

I have paid this acoount to Verizon one and Half year before Jafferson's reporting to CRA.

Verizon's Debt in question is occured in July of 2020. 

Default of March 2016 I wrote to help  @centex in relation to his question on when I seeking BK. That Debt is all falling off in Feb next year.

Just now, Fred030 said:

I agree that going to court without exploring other options is tardy step. Also asking for a DV is not my purpose because they can simple print and mail out a letter with amount and OC

I have paid this acoount to Verizon one and Half year before Jafferson's reporting to CRA.

Verizon's Debt in question is occured in July of 2020. 

Default of March 2016 I wrote to help  @centex in relation to his question concerning BK. That Debt is all falling off in Feb next year.

• Admin
14 hours ago, Fred030 said:

Default occurred in March 2016

2 hours ago, Fred030 said:

By July of 2020, I was 90 days behind on that account.

Fred, I am not trying to be mean, but I am so confused about the timelines, I just don't know how to help you.  Some of your statements are contradictory.

14 hours ago, Fred030 said:

Verizon never reported the balance to CRA because I paid the balance off to Verizon before it was sent out to collection. If a Verizon CA appeared on my file, I would have given some weight to Jafferson's listing. But Verizon never reportec it. 

It is only the Jafferson listing showing the $201.

I am going to try a different angle.  Since you paid Verizon and reinstated your account go back to them and ask why the non-existent balance was transferred to Jefferson and how they suggest clearing it up since you paid them.  If they only put it out for collections by mistake they can recall it and tell Jefferson it was paid to them prior to assignment and they need to delete the inaccurate information from your bureau reports.  If they sold it to Jefferson after it was paid then I think you have a claim against Verizon and Jefferson.  Have you tried sending a letter to Jefferson CMRR with a copy of the receipt stating they need to delete the trade line immediately as this was paid to the OC prior to their getting the account?

27 minutes ago, CreditSucksNot said:

I am going to try a different angle.  Since you paid Verizon and reinstated your account go back to them and ask why the non-existent balance was transferred to Jefferson and how they suggest clearing it up since you paid them.  If they only put it out for collections by mistake they can recall it and tell Jefferson it was paid to them prior to assignment and they need to delete the inaccurate information from your bureau reports.  If they sold it to Jefferson after it was paid then I think you have a claim against Verizon and Jefferson.  Have you tried sending a letter to Jefferson CMRR with a copy of the receipt stating they need to delete the trade line immediately as this was paid to the OC prior to their getting the account?

Assuming arguendo that it WAS paid prior to the movement/sale of the claim, there is no showing that Jefferson Capital had knowledge that they purchased or reported an account that was paid in full prior to acquisition.  OP seems to concede they have had zero contact with Jefferson.  Absent a well-written dispute that places them on such notice, money spent seeking to litigate against Jefferson is money wasted. 

2 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Fred, I am not trying to be mean, but I am so confused about the timelines, I just don't know how to help you.  Some of your statements are contradictory.

2016 default was not relevant to Verizon. I wrote that in response to @centex question about my BK.

Verizon default is from June of 2020. 

2 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

Verizon said that it must have been an error. Verizon suggested I send the receipt to jafferson and jafferson should delete their reporting. I have not disputed yet because I just found it and I want to know what should be the right course of action.

2 hours ago, centex said:

Assuming arguendo that it WAS paid prior to the movement/sale of the claim, there is no showing that Jefferson Capital had knowledge that they purchased or reported an account that was paid in full prior to acquisition.  OP seems to concede they have had zero contact with Jefferson.  Absent a well-written dispute that places them on such notice, money spent seeking to litigate against Jefferson is money wasted. 

Exactly, I paid it off long before Jafferson's purchase. I have yet to contact Jafferson. I have heared that in some instances CA simply update the repoting to paid CA. I dont want to cement it to my CRA in the process. 

24 minutes ago, Fred030 said:

Exactly, I paid it off long before Jafferson's purchase. I have yet to contact Jafferson. I have heared that in some instances CA simply update the repoting to paid CA. I dont want to cement it to my CRA in the process. 

By taking no action because of an irrational fear, you harm any case you MIGHT have been able to make for damages.  You ALSO ignore that Jefferson doesn't know they bought a hog unless you send a well-written dispute to them which includes confirmation of the amount being paid, in full, to VZN prior to the acquisition BY Jefferson (not sure why you keep misspelling their name but it is clearly intentional). 

1 hour ago, centex said:

By taking no action because of an irrational fear, you harm any case you MIGHT have been able to make for damages.  You ALSO ignore that Jefferson doesn't know they bought a hog unless you send a well-written dispute to them which includes confirmation of the amount being paid, in full, to VZN prior to the acquisition BY Jefferson (not sure why you keep misspelling their name but it is clearly intentional). 

Apologies for misspelling. I did not notice. 

As for dispute, I would like to ask if it is safe to include the receipt from VZN showing that I have paid the balance off prior to their purchase?

My fear is that I dont want to get it cemented as "Paid" collection. In a recent experience, I have fallen a prey to comcast and CCS where a payment to OC was updated in CA as "PAID."

Why WOULDN'T you want to prove it was paid before they acquired it?  FFS, they ALSO have a cause of action against VZN if the facts are as you assert in this thread...

DO NOT send a generic piece of crap letter.  BE SPECIFIC!  DO NOT send the original of the receipt...a legible copy along with confirmation that the funds actually got withdrawn from your bank account should suffice.