I bought a Western Union money order

at the Carr's Safeway in Palmer on Tuesday.

This places Western Union alongside MoneyGram (gross) and the United States Postal Service on your List of Types of Money Orders Sidewinder Has Purchased.

Which, is exciting.

5 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

at the Carr's Safeway in Palmer on Tuesday.

This places Western Union alongside MoneyGram (gross) and the United States Postal Service on your List of Types of Money Orders Sidewinder Has Purchased.

Which, is exciting.

How did you manage to go back 500 years in time when WU was relevant and not a total joke?

Posted (edited)

Used to be you'd see signs (see) at gas stations & convenience stores, "American Express Money Orders sold here."

But I do not see those signs, like anywhere at all, anymore.  : /

I find this concerning, as I should like very much to expand the aforementioned List.

It would be more like rounding it out than completing it, because I don't know who else (besides banks, whose fees are silly) has ever been in the money order business.

: /

Edited by Sidewinder

4 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Used to be you'd see signs (see) at gas stations & convenience stores, "American Express Money Orders sold here."

But I do not see those signs, like anywhere at all, anymore.  : /

I find this concerning, as I should like very much to expand the aforementioned List.

It would be more like rounding it out than completing it, because I don't know who else (besides banks, whose fees are silly) has ever been in the money order business.

: /

Are you 150 years old?  Those signs you mentioned disappeared many decades ago.  They will never return.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, Sidewinder said:

American Express Money Orders sold here

Ah - but are you old enough to remember when Amex Travelers Cheques were the gold standard for vacation spending?  I believe the last time I sued them was for a trip to Russia in 1994.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I bought a MoneyGram money order to give to Second Harvest (I try to make my charitable donations via money order to limit the # of address lists I end up on).

It says "Payable through Citizens Alliance Bank; Clara City, Minnesota."

The last time I bought a MoneyGram money order, years ago, it said it was payable through Wells Fargo Bank in Faribault.

I should have done this year after year. My address/name is with every charity in the state and I am fed up with shredding address labels I get every other day. I get So much mail from these charities and I just feel like I am helpless as I do not an option to opt out. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sidewinder said:

Yesterday I bought a MoneyGram money order to give to Second Harvest (I try to make my charitable donations via money order to limit the # of address lists I end up on).

It says "Payable through Citizens Alliance Bank; Clara City, Minnesota."

The last time I bought a MoneyGram money order, years ago, it said it was payable through Wells Fargo Bank in Faribault.

9 hours ago, Krish said:

I get So much mail from these charities and I just feel like I am helpless as I do not an option to opt out. 

Some of them will have a page on their website where you can ask to be removed.  I enjoy giving money to St. Jude, but feel bad that they spend so much money mailing me requests as I'm going to give anyways.  So I went to their website, navigated to Contact Us, and one of the menu options was to remove myself from their snail mail.  I've done the same for a couple of other charities.

2 hours ago, A Credit Ed said:

Some of them will have a page on their website where you can ask to be removed.  I enjoy giving money to St. Jude, but feel bad that they spend so much money mailing me requests as I'm going to give anyways.  So I went to their website, navigated to Contact Us, and one of the menu options was to remove myself from their snail mail.  I've done the same for a couple of other charities.

I am going to try that from now on.

Todays USPS informed delivery shows the following coming to our house

4 St.Jude envelopes, one for each in the households including 2 teens

2 Mathews crossing 

2 Alzheimer's association

1 Habitat for Humanity

1 Lutheran world relief

2 citi bank checks

2 citi banks enrollment into flex loan

1 BofA check

All this is 100% junk to me and I hate to toss in the recycle or shredder whenever I collect the mail. 

So far unsubscribed from St.Jude successfully.. trying to get to others