Jump to content

I bought a Western Union money order


 Share

Recommended Posts

at the Carr's Safeway in Palmer on Tuesday.

 

This places Western Union alongside MoneyGram (gross) and the United States Postal Service on your List of Types of Money Orders Sidewinder Has Purchased.

 

Which, is exciting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

at the Carr's Safeway in Palmer on Tuesday.

 

This places Western Union alongside MoneyGram (gross) and the United States Postal Service on your List of Types of Money Orders Sidewinder Has Purchased.

 

Which, is exciting.

 

How did you manage to go back 500 years in time when WU was relevant and not a total joke?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Used to be you'd see signs (see) at gas stations & convenience stores, "American Express Money Orders sold here."

 

But I do not see those signs, like anywhere at all, anymore.  : /

 

I find this concerning, as I should like very much to expand the aforementioned List.

 

It would be more like rounding it out than completing it, because I don't know who else (besides banks, whose fees are silly) has ever been in the money order business.

 

: /

 

Edited by Sidewinder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Used to be you'd see signs (see) at gas stations & convenience stores, "American Express Money Orders sold here."

 

But I do not see those signs, like anywhere at all, anymore.  : /

 

I find this concerning, as I should like very much to expand the aforementioned List.

 

It would be more like rounding it out than completing it, because I don't know who else (besides banks, whose fees are silly) has ever been in the money order business.

 

: /

 

 

Are you 150 years old?  Those signs you mentioned disappeared many decades ago.  They will never return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, Sidewinder said:

American Express Money Orders sold here

Ah - but are you old enough to remember when Amex Travelers Cheques were the gold standard for vacation spending?  I believe the last time I sued them was for a trip to Russia in 1994.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I bought a MoneyGram money order to give to Second Harvest (I try to make my charitable donations via money order to limit the # of address lists I end up on).

 

It says "Payable through Citizens Alliance Bank; Clara City, Minnesota."

 

The last time I bought a MoneyGram money order, years ago, it said it was payable through Wells Fargo Bank in Faribault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should have done this year after year. My address/name is with every charity in the state and I am fed up with shredding address labels I get every other day. I get So much mail from these charities and I just feel like I am helpless as I do not an option to opt out. 

 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, Sidewinder said:

Yesterday I bought a MoneyGram money order to give to Second Harvest (I try to make my charitable donations via money order to limit the # of address lists I end up on).

 

It says "Payable through Citizens Alliance Bank; Clara City, Minnesota."

 

The last time I bought a MoneyGram money order, years ago, it said it was payable through Wells Fargo Bank in Faribault.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Krish said:

I get So much mail from these charities and I just feel like I am helpless as I do not an option to opt out. 

Some of them will have a page on their website where you can ask to be removed.  I enjoy giving money to St. Jude, but feel bad that they spend so much money mailing me requests as I'm going to give anyways.  So I went to their website, navigated to Contact Us, and one of the menu options was to remove myself from their snail mail.  I've done the same for a couple of other charities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A Credit Ed said:

Some of them will have a page on their website where you can ask to be removed.  I enjoy giving money to St. Jude, but feel bad that they spend so much money mailing me requests as I'm going to give anyways.  So I went to their website, navigated to Contact Us, and one of the menu options was to remove myself from their snail mail.  I've done the same for a couple of other charities.

I am going to try that from now on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Todays USPS informed delivery shows the following coming to our house

 

4 St.Jude envelopes, one for each in the households including 2 teens

2 Mathews crossing 

2 Alzheimer's association

1 Habitat for Humanity

1 Lutheran world relief

2 citi bank checks

2 citi banks enrollment into flex loan

1 BofA check

 

All this is 100% junk to me and I hate to toss in the recycle or shredder whenever I collect the mail. 

 

So far unsubscribed from St.Jude successfully.. trying to get to others 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      184994
    • Most Online
      2046

    Newest Member
    SheenaSamuels
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines