Scammed by Synchrony?

PotO

Bored, I applied for the Stinkrony 2% MasterCard and, after jumping through major security hoops, got approved for a whopping $10k.  🙄

The new card arrived and I decided to call in and activate the card.  On the back if the card there are two numbers to reach Stinkrony -- one toll-free and the other for international callers.  The toll-free number is (844) 876-1879.  I called that number and got the normal "press one for English and two for Spanish" and hit #1.  Then it comes up with a message stating that "just for calling today you can get a $100 retail rebate offer."  That seemed weird.  Then it went to a CSR.

The CSR was basically three steps below the IQ and language skills of a regarded chimp.  I could barely understand 2 of every 10 Mumbai slum words she spoke.  I told her I needed to activate my credit card and she asked for the card number, phone number and then complete SSN and complete mailing address.  The last two requests caught my attention since I have never before been asked for anything but the last 4 of my SSN and just my ZIP Code.  What she wanted seemed highly intrusive.  She also wanted the card expiration date and CVV code.  When I asked why she needed so much data, she told me the call was being recorded for security purposes and I should not worry.  

Then all of a sudden she played a recording asking if I accepted the terms of a subscription offer that, for $28 a month, would give me huge discounts on hotels and restaurants.  I told her no and that I would just activate my card online.  She then stated I could use a different card.  Now WTF do I need to give her the data from a second card to activate a Stinkrony card.  I told her to FOAD and I hung up.

I then called the other number on the back of the card and this number did bring me to the real Synchrony.  I was able to activate the card without any issues.  When talking with the CSR, she told me I had a declined transaction for $4.15.  It was declined, she said, because they had the wrong name, expiration and CVV.  

Nobody knew, though, how the hell some Mumbai 💩birds overtook the number on the back of the Synchrony credit cards.

I see four options:

1.  Stinkrony is in on the scam;

2.  Stinkrony has renegade CSRs;

3.  Stinkrony is stupid and put the wrong number on the back of their cards;

4.  Someone managed to steal Stinkrony's phone number.

56 minutes ago, PotO said:

Bored, I applied for the Stinkrony 2% MasterCard and, after jumping through major security hoops, got approved for a whopping $10k.  🙄

The new card arrived and I decided to call in and activate the card.  On the back if the card there are two numbers to reach Stinkrony -- one toll-free and the other for international callers.  The toll-free number is (844) 876-1879.  I called that number and got the normal "press one for English and two for Spanish" and hit #1.  Then it comes up with a message stating that "just for calling today you can get a $100 retail rebate offer."  That seemed weird.  Then it went to a CSR.

The CSR was basically three steps below the IQ and language skills of a regarded chimp.  I could barely understand 2 of every 10 Mumbai slum words she spoke.  I told her I needed to activate my credit card and she asked for the card number, phone number and then complete SSN and complete mailing address.  The last two requests caught my attention since I have never before been asked for anything but the last 4 of my SSN and just my ZIP Code.  What she wanted seemed highly intrusive.  She also wanted the card expiration date and CVV code.  When I asked why she needed so much data, she told me the call was being recorded for security purposes and I should not worry.  

Then all of a sudden she played a recording asking if I accepted the terms of a subscription offer that, for $28 a month, would give me huge discounts on hotels and restaurants.  I told her no and that I would just activate my card online.  She then stated I could use a different card.  Now WTF do I need to give her the data from a second card to activate a Stinkrony card.  I told her to FOAD and I hung up.

I then called the other number on the back of the card and this number did bring me to the real Synchrony.  I was able to activate the card without any issues.  When talking with the CSR, she told me I had a declined transaction for $4.15.  It was declined, she said, because they had the wrong name, expiration and CVV.  

Nobody knew, though, how the hell some Mumbai 💩birds overtook the number on the back of the Synchrony credit cards.

I see four options:

1.  Stinkrony is in on the scam;

2.  Stinkrony has renegade CSRs;

3.  Stinkrony is stupid and put the wrong number on the back of their cards;

4.  Someone managed to steal Stinkrony's phone number.

11 hours ago, chrishillson said:

Are you sure you dialed the correct number?

These vultures buy up phone numbers, someone misdials and reaches them. Either that or Synchrony made a typo or let their number lapse.

Absolutely positive.  No misdial at all.  I called the number later a number of times and double checked my dialing records.  

Either Stinkrony printed the wrong number on their cards, had their number stolen / hacked or else changed their number not thinking of the thousands of people with the wrong number on the back of their card.

The head scratcher for me is that EVERY card I've activated by phone was using a phone number specifically provided on a sticker on the card or printed on the card mailer.  I've never activated a card by dialing the default CS number on the back of the card.

Nonetheless, given your certainty that you dialed the number accurately (which I fully accept ... you set the gold standard for having your facts straight), I'm at a loss as to how your call managed to be redirected to a scam outfit.

In the past I've been connected to shady outfits who clearly purchased a phone number that's one digit off from a legitimate CS number (say, one ending in 7474 when the correct number ends in 7447 and I unwittingly transposed digits when I called).

Are you saying that when you redialed the number, you were again routed to the same fraudulent ops?  Or was it just the first call that somehow got hijacked?

Bottom line, in light of your narrative, I'd call and request a new account number as a precaution.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hdporter said:

The head scratcher for me is that EVERY card I've activated by phone was using a phone number specifically provided on a sticker on the card or printed on the card mailer.  I've never activated a card by dialing the default CS number on the back of the card.

Nonetheless, given your certainty that you dialed the number accurately (which I fully accept ... you set the gold standard for having your facts straight), I'm at a loss as to how your call managed to be redirected to a scam outfit.

In the past I've been connected to shady outfits who clearly purchased a phone number that's one digit off from a legitimate CS number (say, one ending in 7474 when the correct number ends in 7447 and I unwittingly transposed digits when I called).

Are you saying that when you redialed the number, you were again routed to the same fraudulent ops?  Or was it just the first call that somehow got hijacked?

Bottom line, in light of your narrative, I'd call and request a new account number as a precaution.

You are absolutely correct about requesting a new account number.

Yes, the activation instructions on the sticker said to scan a QR code to activate, but I was using my Apple Watch / Phone and couldn't do that.  So I called the toll-free number on the back of my card.

After that first experience I thought I had dialed the wrong number and I double checked.  No misdial.  I have tied a number of times after that just to record what happens and no misdial at all.  When the number rings it doesn't seem like it is forwarded to another number.  Usually when the number forwards there is a distinct sound or a pause in the ringing.  

Here's the number on the back of the card:  (844) 876-1879.  Try calling and see if you get Stinkrony.

After the first fiasco, I called the second number on the back of the card: (937) 534-3638.  That number worked perfectly.  It recognized my phone number instantly and only asked for the last 4 of my SSN before stating "Congratulations!  Your new Synchrony Premier MasterCard is now activated!"  "Your credit limit is **amount deleted so brother @hegemony cannot laugh at me!** and is available for immediate use."  I then connected to a CSR to report the strange experience with he first number.  

Edited by PotO

22 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Beware of Stinkrony!  They are on my 💩list.

As well they should be, Marv.  

I'm thinking of starting a thread that can become a sticky -- Biggest 💩 Banks: Rate from 1 💩 to 5💩s.

Did you update the database?

@PotO I recently almost had myself talked into getting the Bread Amex 2% card. But I came to my senses before pulling the trigger since Chase is being nice to me again. I've got Freedom Unlimited and a Ink on my radar.

Personally I'm done adding poop cards to my collection for awhile.

11 hours ago, TheVig said:

Did you update the database?

@PotO I recently almost had myself talked into getting the Bread Amex 2% card. But I came to my senses before pulling the trigger since Chase is being nice to me again. I've got Freedom Unlimited and a Ink on my radar.

Personally I'm done adding poop cards to my collection for awhile.

I wouldn't apply for an AmEx card from anybody but AmEx unless there was a good SUB or I was really bored.

I have the Comenity / Bread Caesar's Rewards Visa for many years and no problems with them.