Is There a Bigger POS Than TransUnion Anywhere on Earth?

PotO

Hypothetical question, folks, because I am fairly sure that, with the exception of Stinkrony, there isn't.

I had TransUnion credit monitoring for many years now primarily because I like the ability to instantly lock / unlock my credit report.  Things were going fairly smoothly until about two months ago where they locked me out.  Their customer service staff is 99.9% imported from the slums of Mumbai and speaking to them is a lost cause.  After a CFPB complaint, they unfroze it and stated sometimes they freeze accounts because one logs in using a VPN or an overseas IP address.  Now, they issued me, it will not happen again.

So now when I try to log in there is no problem.  But when I try to refresh my TU credit report, the little progress wheel rotates for 1/2 an hour with no success.  So I have to call them and they give me a special code to get a free three-bureau report, which works instantly.  Seems you try to screw you out of the free reports that are part of your $14.95 monthly subscription, but if you pay $30 a pop they will give you a report instantly.  🙄

I have another CFPB complaint pending over this issue, meanwhile their CSRs recommended I get the free active duty credit monitoring service, but, unfortunately, it does not have the credit lock function.  Ok, I tried.  The good thing is that you don't have to refresh your credit report every time.  It is automatically refreshed when you log in.  But what truly sucks is how they format the credit report.

Almost every CRA lists each account on one line and that line has a function to expand the tradeline.  This makes perfect sense given that each tradeline contains about 30 lines of data including account details and two-year payment history.  If you want to see all that data on your, say, Citibank account, you click on the tradeline and it expands.  When finish, you click and it contracts.  Simple, eh?

Well, not for the 💩heads at TU.  With the active duty credit report, the first ten tradelines can be expanded / contracted.  Starting with the 11th and continuing, in my case, to the 120th, they are all expanded and you cannot contract them.  That means I have to scroll through 3,300 lines of data keeping a sharp eye on which account is before me to find what I want.  If you want to print it out, that's over thirty sheets of paper.  The 💩s from Mumbai tell me it is supposed to be like that.  Bull💩!!!  No fooking way!

Yet another CFPB complaint.

If this doesn't work, I will sue them. 

I can’t agree more, TU is the biggest POS in the universe and I apologize to POS. I’ve been trying to erase false/inaccurate  information from their report to no avail. The bank wrote me and TU a letter indicating that they made an error but POSTU doesn’t remove the negative false report.

their entire operation is in a *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity* hole in India where complete strangers in the slums of Mumbai have access to our most sensitive information. F…k TU. And CFPB is useless.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mano said:

My original message is under review for using colorful language. It’s ironic that our suffering is somehow less important that hurting scammers feelings.

Nope..........................Your message was under review until manually approved.  As are all our Newbies.   Once you reach Member status you will be able to post without review.

6 hours ago, Mano said:

My original message is under review for using colorful language. It’s ironic that our suffering is somehow less important that hurting scammers feelings.

Don't worry.  If you use profanity the system will just cover it with an anti-profanity phrase. 

Newbies have posts individually approved until they hit a certain post count.  I don't remember how many posts you need, but it isn't many.  

And I agree with you 100% about TU.  They need to be FITA.

I'm addressing a collateral topic to this:  bank influence on CRA reporting.

I'm fully empathetic to complaints about TU and the other CRA's when it comes to correcting information that the original reporter admits is inadequate.  Under the FCRA, the CRA's are responsible for investigating disputes timely and accurately.   Yet it's clear that they are severely understaffed for that purpose.

Still, I maintain that it is the reporter (account issuer) that is primarily responsible to ensure the accuracy of information reported to CRA;s.  The banks are the paying party in the process and, thus, they are leveraged to insist on accurate reporting by the CRA's.

I don't how this correction model of, "oh, yeah, we agree with you that this is wrong so please dispute it with each CRA and when they contact us we'll acknowledge the revision, or just not respond" (in which case the CRA should consider the dispute to be accurate by default).

This is guaranteed to FUBAR a legitimate dispute process and if I were to pick one topic on which to lobby the CFPB hard it would be to more strictly define and monitor the credit dispute process.

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

I'm addressing a collateral topic to this:  bank influence on CRA reporting.

I'm fully empathetic to complaints about TU and the other CRA's when it comes to correcting information that the original reporter admits is inadequate.  Under the FCRA, the CRA's are responsible for investigating disputes timely and accurately.   Yet it's clear that they are severely understaffed for that purpose.

Still, I maintain that it is the reporter (account issuer) that is primarily responsible to ensure the accuracy of information reported to CRA;s.  The banks are the paying party in the process and, thus, they are leveraged to insist on accurate reporting by the CRA's.

I don't how this correction model of, "oh, yeah, we agree with you that this is wrong so please dispute it with each CRA and when they contact us we'll acknowledge the revision, or just not respond" (in which case the CRA should consider the dispute to be accurate by default).

This is guaranteed to FUBAR a legitimate dispute process and if I were to pick one topic on which to lobby the CFPB hard it would be to more strictly define and monitor the credit dispute process.

I agree that the data furnisher should be the first attack point.  That said, it doesn't always work.

I had an issue just recently with HSBC.  They tried to pull my EQ three separate times and in spite of the fact I could clearly see the hard INQs, they claim they could not access my file because it was frozen.  When I told them to fix it, they claimed there was no way they can fix something that never happened.  A week of back and forth with HSBC and also confirming the hard INQs directly with EQ, a not-so-nice ITS worked wonders and HSBC found religion.

I was not about to dispute the INQs with EQ.  We have all heard that the law of unintended consequences applies to INQ disputes.  

• Admin
1 hour ago, hdporter said:

They do that because the data furnisher/creditor is specifically prohibited from using e-OSCAR to update accounts on which they report.     I'm not trying to confuse anyone, just trying to offer another viewpoint.  

I too have a long outstanding grudge against TransUnion.   I am probably still on their "do not talk to" list.  It would be the least likely bureau I would pull for one of my customers.

3 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

They do that because the data furnisher/creditor is specifically prohibited from using e-OSCAR to update accounts on which they report.     I'm not trying to confuse anyone, just trying to offer another viewpoint.  

That's "interesting".  To clarify, what is the procedure for a furnisher to update past reporting?  Is that process excessively cumbersome, or are they just being unwilling to bend an elbow and prefer that the paperwork come to them via the CRA

(If it's the latter case, I don't give a nit's tit about their "inconvenience"; it's their responsibility as reporter and I expect them to act in whatever manner assures the best outcome ... not the least effort.)

Whenever I need a TU  report I just google get a free report because of adverse action even if none occurred. Have had the same log in credentials for so many years. Have locked and unlocked 100’s of times whether in the  States or overseas  with no problems. In fact do it with all three  and it’s instant.

Edited by StantheMan

2 hours ago, StantheMan said:

Whenever I need a TU  report I just google get a free report because of adverse action even if none occurred. Have had the same log in credentials for so many years. Have locked and unlocked 100’s of times whether in the  States or overseas  with no problems. In fact do it with all three  and it’s instant.

For me, the issue isn't getting the report.  It's locking / unlocking it.  

4 hours ago, PotO said:

For me, the issue isn't getting the report.  It's locking / unlocking it.  

You should be able to to lock and unlock it. I constantly do it this way. There’s an option available or at  least for me.

service.transunion.com

Edited by StantheMan

27 minutes ago, StantheMan said:

You should be able to to lock and unlock it. I constantly do it this way. There’s an option available or at  least for me.

service.transunion.com

What is the name of the TU service you use?

17 minutes ago, PotO said:

What is the name of the TU service you use?

Use Safari or Chrome and  enter the service.transition.com address.it will take u to transition’s direct site to create a free account. You may have to scroll down to find it on Chrome. It’s free and can lock/ unlock at will.

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze

Edited by StantheMan

9 hours ago, StantheMan said:

My bad, u want to lock not freeze. Ur right that’s a different story.

Yeah, I usually keep everything locked.  It makes me think a little before applying.  AT over 120 tradelines already, self-control isn't exactly my forte when it comes to applying.