F'd Stinkrony ITA & It Felt $$$ooooooo Good!

PotO

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus! 

I was a victim of a Stinkrony mass culling of the herd a couple of years ago and whenever I try to get back in I get shot down with the same lame excuse: Application has risk factors that cause us to be unsure of your identity.  That's all their adverse action letter states and repeated inquiries and a CFPB complaint resulted in no meaningful explanation.  

I finally contacted an attorney that was once recommended to me here on CB several years ago and he told me that he would take the case on a contingency basis.  Seems the ECOA mandates a meaningful reason that is designed to help educate the consumer in furtherance of maintaining / improving their creditworthiness.  Mumbo jumbo b.s., he stated, is an ECOA violation.  He has been in discussions with Stinkrony for several months now and during this time I have received several pre-approval letters from Stinkrony for their Amazon card and for their PayPal card.  Applying gives me the same b.s. reason and no credit pull.  Last month I got a pre-approval letter for the new Stinkrony 2% MasterCard.  I applied, shot down with the same old b.s.

The Shark sent Stinkrony a final notice to cough up $$ or else he was suing.  I filed yet another CFPB complaint and low and behold Stinkrony responded stating that I was not really denied.  They want me to verify my identify through their online identity verification system.  Ok, I thought, let's see how this b.s. plays out.  I went through the ID verification using my drivers license with no problems.  Then you get a confirmation code and call their security department based in the slums of Mumbai where the guy asked me if I was in the armed forces.  I don't remember if I put that on my application, but I'm sure he could have seen it on my credit reports.  When I confirmed that I was, he put me on hold and came back to state I had to do the ID verification again and this time use my military ID.  Well, that's a crock of 💩.

I called the contact given to me on my last CFPB complaint and the lady in the EO stated there was no way around the request if I wanted to get approved.  I told her it was a federal offense to copy a military ID and offered her a copy of my Leave & Earnings Statement or military orders or even my DoD access data from the DoD website.  No!  It was the copy of my ID or FOAD.  I again reminded her of Title 18 USC 33 § 701 and the fact that she was demanding the commission of a federal crime, but she didn't GAF.

Sooooooo, another CFPB complaint and another conference call with The Shark.  Stinkrony responded to the CFPB with the news that my application was approved and my limit a measly $9,500.  The Shark is sending me a check for $25k.  The Stinkrony EO lady left a message for me and said she's call me to explain.  I plan on insulting the bejeezus out of her.  Hopefully she'll say something stupid and I'll get another check.

Fook Stinkrony.  Fook them hard!

That’s one hell of a story! I’m glad you were able to recover some money and get a new account out of it! I have run into an issue with them and the Venmo Visa. They keep saying my TransUnion or my Sagestream report is frozen, when they are not. They are also doing this to my DH. We can’t make heads or tales of it. Like your situation, it just seems like BS. Maybe I need to contact said lawyer! I want that Venmo Visa for 3% back at Costco, which is why I have been so persistent in applying for it.

I did recently get approved for the PayPal Mastercard instantly, so that was something. But the technical glitches at Synchrony and many other places are really getting out of hand. I had also been interested in the Gemini Mastercard. But a similar issue was happening. They kept saying my Experian report was frozen when it was not, so I was never really considered for the card, even though everything was unfrozen. Out of the blue, I tried again recently and was denied for real reasons (Experian FICO too low), but I still don’t know why they kept saying it was frozen.

1 hour ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

That’s one hell of a story! I’m glad you were able to recover some money and get a new account out of it! I have run into an issue with them and the Venmo Visa. They keep saying my TransUnion or my Sagestream report is frozen, when they are not. They are also doing this to my DH. We can’t make heads or tales of it. Like your situation, it just seems like BS. Maybe I need to contact said lawyer! I want that Venmo Visa for 3% back at Costco, which is why I have been so persistent in applying for it.

I did recently get approved for the PayPal Mastercard instantly, so that was something. But the technical glitches at Synchrony and many other places are really getting out of hand. I had also been interested in the Gemini Mastercard. But a similar issue was happening. They kept saying my Experian report was frozen when it was not, so I was never really considered for the card, even though everything was unfrozen. Out of the blue, I tried again recently and was denied for real reasons (Experian FICO too low), but I still don’t know why they kept saying it was frozen.

Stinkrony is one of the all-time most consistently 💩tiest CC companies there is.  When they go bankrupt I will be ecstatic.  

My wife and I applied for the Gemini card and were both instantly approved and have had no issues other than the absurd activation required for the crypto services.  The credit card side works ok, but if you want to use their crypto services it requires separate ID processing.  Weird!  Frankly, I do not see any real value in the card as rewards are mediocre at best.  I only applied because I was bored and brother @hegemony keeps pushing me to apply, apply, apply!!

Who issues the Venmo card?  I believe Venmo is owned by PayPal and since Stinkrony issues the PayPal card, my guess is that it's Stinkrony who issues Venmo.  You have to be very careful with Stinkrony, especially if you are a credit pimp.  When you build up sizeable limits with them, they will cut off your ️.

I have had problems with HSBC claiming my Equifax is frozen when it most certainly is not.  They have been richardheads in solving the problems so I am going to get a check out of them, too!  

IIRC, I do have all the minor players frozen such as Innovis and SageStream, but none of the major three are locked for now.