Getting someone else's collection calls. How to handle this?

ElleBlue

Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting feedback about how to handle this situation. I've been getting calls that come up as "Firstcredit". I have no prior dealings with this company (I don't know if they are even legit) and I have no outstanding credit. No loans, one credit card that I keep under $500 and I pay off most of the balance every month. I have a new cell phone number and it rings several times a day. The name that comes up is always "Firstcredit" but with different phone numbers and locations, so blocking these numbers are akin to the little boy who tried sticking his fingers in the holes of the dam. 

Anyway, when I try to answer to tell them that I am not the person they are looking for, the call always "disconnects". I have been trying to answer so they can ask for so and so and I can tell them they have the wrong number. Today, I decided to ring back the number. A man answered. I told him I've been getting these calls from his company and asked him who they are and who they're looking for. The man told me it is an attempt to collect a debt. I told him he most likely has the wrong number as I don't have any outstanding debts. He asked me what my name is. I almost told him then I stopped myself, because he could be spammer just trying to get my info and I told him my reasoning for not wanting to give my info. He told me the calls won't stop until I tell him my name (and what good would that do him, if he's a legit debt collector). I told him "that's okay. I just got this number and I'm not all that attached to it yet. I'll just change my number" and hung up. I'm seriously considering changing my number again, but I had all these issues changing my logins that use text for verification.

The "Do not call" list doesn't help as they don't cover "debt collection" calls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Admin

You could do what I do.  I have programmed my phone so if the caller is not in my contact list, then that call will not ring but rather go straight to voicemail.  I think you would need a smartphone to accomplish this.  I can do it on an Android device, and one can do the same thing on Apple devices, or so I have been led to believe.   I seldom would answer a call where I do not recognize a number.

There are a number of references and complaints online associated with a FirstCredit, Inc. based in Fairlawn, OH. 

A few years ago, I got a second cell number through ATT. The apparent nutcase who had the number prior to me would go around town, no-showing doctor’s appointments. Literally I would get at least 5 calls a day which I would let go to voicemail. One day I decided to answer the one caller from who, I received fhe most calls. I explained to the caller that I was sick of getting calls about this woman. She politely told me that she would remove my number from their system, and then wryly added, “Well…ya know…this IS a PSYCH office.” Good on her for still having a sense of humor while still observing HIPAA laws. Too bad debt collectors on a wild goose chase aren’t the same way. 

Many years ago, a collection agency in Texas went after me for a TINY medical debt (about $50) over a bill that my employer should háve paid. They called constantly and were pretty nasty. I turned it around on them and called THEM constantly, I was willing to pay the meager amount just for some peace. The manager of this small firm finally came on the line one day and said that he would agree to a PFD, but I had to agree to never call them again. I got the PFD in writing and never bugged them again. 

Edited by Jeffster

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) expressly regulates calls to third parties in 15 U.S.C. § 1692b(3), stating that a debt collector shall “not communicate with any such person more than once unless requested to do so by such person or unless the debt collector reasonably believes that the earlier response of such person is erroneous or incomplete and that such person now has correct or complete location information.”

If you receive a debt collection call for someone else, and ask who is calling, the debt collector has to state who they are. They are also required to say they are confirming or correcting location information. And if you ask them who they work for, they have to say the name of their company.

In other words, the collector has to say something like “This is Randall Ryder, I’m trying to locate John Smith.” If the collector fails to say their name, that can be considered a violation of the FDCPA. If the collector fails to provide the name of their company per the consumer’s request, that can be considered a violation of the FDCPA.

I've had the same mobile # for over 20 years. When I first got it I used to get scumbaag calls for the prior number owner. I usually hung up or if I was drinking I played with them trying to get them to reveal too much info and violate law (NV is a one party state so this was all recorded). Most of these callers are rejects that even walmart won't hire due to low iq and body odor.

When you get a new number it's not that uncommon, unfortunately, to get calls for the previous owner.  In your case, I would imply one of my usual two options:

1.  Play along with them until you get confirmation on who they are and then tell them never to call you again.  If they do, sue them.  The FDCPA carries statutory damages.

2.  If you know who they are and they are annoying / abusive, get revenge.  I had this Chinese POS harassing me because I wrote a scathing letter to the US university his kid was applying to and he got rejected.  After a week or his b.s., I enlisted the aid of a low friend in high places to visit him.  Seem baseball bats are a multi-purpose tool and not only for playing baseball.  

If they are a legit company, tell them they have a wrong number, you've never heard of the person, and not to call anymore. This has worked for me. After all, do they expect you to pay a stranger's debt just because they keep calling you?

If they're not legit, and they keep calling, then be nasty. It wasn't a debt collector, but I've told spammers I'm going to cut-off their ding-a-ling (I used a different word). That gets them going.