Sons identity was stolen.

LittleSee

1 hour ago, shifter said:

Also, what good does it do him to handle it for him so next time this happens down the road and he's on his own, he has no idea where to start?

We're both learning this together. I'm not doing it for him, I'm trying to help him so his credit isn't immediately ruined for the next 7 years.

Never mind who opened the account, that isn't your job; It's the job of the police. I would suggest a copy of his birth certificate stapled to a copy of the credit report showing the dates these accounts were opened. That will prove he was not of legal age to enter into a credit agreement, and therefore no bank would extend him credit. Did he even have a SSAN yet? Even if somebody lied about his age, the bank would have caught that.

2 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Did he even have a SSAN yet? Even if somebody lied about his age, the bank would have caught that.

Kids get a SSN in the first year of life now.  In order to combat tax fraud the IRS now requires a SSN on every child that is claimed as a dependent.  It also makes identity theft easier for relatives who find out that number er parents who already have it and can't manage their own money.  (NOT the OP in this thread)

3 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

Never mind who opened the account, that isn't your job; It's the job of the police. I would suggest a copy of his birth certificate stapled to a copy of the credit report showing the dates these accounts were opened. That will prove he was not of legal age to enter into a credit agreement, and therefore no bank would extend him credit. Did he even have a SSAN yet? Even if somebody lied about his age, the bank would have caught that.

Birth certificate is a good idea. Ssan? If that's a social security number, yes.

Update:

So he hasn't made a police report yet. But Experian did finish the dispute. It's very strange, they deleted one of the credit lines and updated the other? Both are capital one. 

We're trying to get everything together and mail it out to all 3 cras. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

Capital One, after their investigation removed one of the account, verified the other.

He called them, they are reinvesting. He sent out disputes to the 3 cra, disputing his name, birthday, addresses, and the cap1 acct...along with his driver's license, birth certificate, social security card, bank statement, ftc report, police report. What a headache.

If this capt1 acct comes back verified again, what other options are there?

Ty

2 hours ago, LittleSee said:

Update:

Capital One, after their investigation removed one of the account, verified the other.

He called them, they are reinvesting. He sent out disputes to the 3 cra, disputing his name, birthday, addresses, and the cap1 acct...along with his driver's license, birth certificate, social security card, bank statement, ftc report, police report. What a headache.

If this capt1 acct comes back verified again, what other options are there?

Ty

I would send the same information packet to Capital One too. They are the ones feeding bad info to the CRAs even if one account was verfied.

My wife had a bogus account opened up in her name a few years ago and she got the best results dealing with the creditor directly.

Edited by cashnocredit

Check your SOL for ID theft ..... it is generally rather short in most states. If it expired, the police prob won't take a report because even if they caught the perp, they couldn't do anything about it. The fact that sonny was underage at the time and could not have legally opened an account should be enough to get this removed. If not, consult with a consumer attorney.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:37 AM, legaleagle2012 said:

Never mind who opened the account, that isn't your job; It's the job of the police.

I call B.S. on this. ^^^ how is not trying to find out, especially if the culprit is a relative or friend, not in one's interest? Most police departments will not be active investing this type of crime (unless the victim has information helping to identify the criminal).

2 hours ago, LittleSee said:

Update;

That was fast. All the fake addresses and cap1 acct were removed. Name and date of birth updated. He has a clean report and one of my cards reporting as an authorized user.

Any advice on the next steps he should take on his credit building journey? Or any info I can send him. 

Ty everyone!

Good news!!!

On his building journey... I suggest starting a new thread on the topic of adding cards. Or, better yet, have him join CB and make the inquiry himself. :wave: