Sons identity was stolen.

LittleSee

My son just turned 18, just started college. I added him as an authorized user on a few of my cards to help him out.

When we check his credit report, there's two credit lines from capital one that were opened a few years ago.

We contacted capital one, they are investigating and closed the accounts.

Filed an affidavit and reported with the ftc. 

Contacted each of the three cras and started the dispute process. Uploaded the ftc report, proof of his address, and driver's license. (Besides Experian, can't seem to upload on their site).

Equifax came back as verified (what should we do?)

TransUnion never even filed the dispute and suggested mailing it in a long with all the documents.

Experian the dispute is on going, but have to mail in supporting documents.

Any help of suggestions are appreciated, ty. 

• Admin

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

16 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

Why was there no police report filed?  Your son may have cooked his own goose. 

In the ftc filing it instructed to file a police report if he knew the identity of the person who opened the cards. He did not. He was 16 at the time.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, LittleSee said:

In the ftc filing it instructed to file a police report if he knew the identity of the person who opened the cards. He did not. He was 16 at the time.

Well, sometimes the FTC does not always give practical advice.  When a comparable situation happened to me, I called the local police department, they sent a deputy to my apartment, and he took the police report from me.  I did not know who did the deed, so the police report showed that an unknown person at an unknown place and unknown time committed the identity theft.  It took a few days to get a copy of the police report, and I did not bother with an FTC statement of facts.  I sent the police report in with my dispute and the credit repositories handled it with haste as they are required to do.  I did not commit perjury.

Notwithstanding the fact that he was not of legal age to sign and commit to any financial obligation.

1 hour ago, LittleSee said:

there are some great resources here: https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/forum/57-identity-theft/

is there any chance the accounts were opened by a family member?

1 hour ago, MarvBear said:

Well, sometimes the FTC does not always give practical advice.  When a comparable situation happened to me, I called the local police department, they sent a deputy to my apartment, and he took the police report from me.  I did not know who did the deed, so the police report showed that an unknown person at an unknown place and unknown time committed the identity theft.  It took a few days to get a copy of the police report, and I did not bother with an FTC statement of facts.  I sent the police report in with my dispute and the credit repositories handled it with haste as they are required to do.  I did not commit perjury.

Notwithstanding the fact that he was not of legal age to sign and commit to any financial obligation.

Ty, I'll have him file a police report. I didn't realize they held such weight with the bureaus. 

And yes, at his age it's impossible for him to be obligated to this fraudulent debt. What is the proper way to go about disputing once the police report is received? 

17 hours ago, LittleSee said:

File it any way. This stupid advice of the FTC is like the police telling a woman not to report a rape unless she knows the name of her rapist. Your son is the victim of a crime, he is not required to know the name of the person who victimized him.

19 minutes ago, Flyingifr said:

File it any way. This stupid advice of the FTC is like the police telling a woman not to report a rape unless she knows the name of her rapist. Your son is the victim of a crime, he is not required to know the name of the person who victimized him.

Ty. Once we have the police report...what is the proper way to dispute these two accts? Is there a specific format I should use?

And what do we do about Equifax already completing the dispute and verifying it belongs to my son?

10 minutes ago, LittleSee said:

Ty. Once we have the police report...what is the proper way to dispute these two accts? Is there a specific format I should use?

And what do we do about Equifax already completing the dispute and verifying it belongs to my son?

Dispute IN WRITING, NOT ONLINE, and include copies of the police report and BE SPECIFIC. 

Don't use form letters found anywhere on the web. 

24 minutes ago, hegemony said:

he needs to make sure he's disputing based upon information contained in paper reports:

Order paper reports from the big four

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/590506-ordering-paper-credit-reports-information-inside/&tab=comments#comment-5623246

IDS: https://www.innovis.com/personal/creditReport

I should dispute innovis as well?

40 minutes ago, LittleSee said:

I should dispute innovis as well?

Setting aside that the bureaus are supposed to share the fraud reports, then yes, a dispute to Innovis may be in order if the TL appears there.  This is precisely why you need all four paper reports.  A dispute should NEVER be made online or from an online report on something that actually matters. 

56 minutes ago, LittleSee said:

I feel a police report, ftc report, and the fact that he was 16 when these two cap1 were opened should easily be enough? The trade lines only amount to around $3k.

in a logical world, yes your feeling is correct but in a world of CRA reporting and ID theft he needs to be very methodical and systematically deal with the 1) fraud itself (i.e., the accounts opened in his name) and the 2) reporting of these accounts (which I assume have gone bad) to the four major CRAs.

I asked earlier if it might be a family member because if it turns out it is that also opens up 3) dealing with fallout and extracting restitution from him or her as well as 4) referring the person to possible civil and criminal proceedings.

2 hours ago, centex said:

Setting aside that the bureaus are supposed to share the fraud reports, then yes, a dispute to Innovis may be in order if the TL appears there.  This is precisely why you need all four paper reports.  A dispute should NEVER be made online or from an online report on something that actually matters. 

They made the disputes over the phone. Ftc said to call the bureaus. 

6 hours ago, hegemony said:

BTW, I hope he is ordering and disputing himself as there are possible issues if you are doing it on his behalf, especially absent a POA.

Also, what good does it do him to handle it for him so next time this happens down the road and he's on his own, he has no idea where to start?