Navy Federal Strategy Question (Low initial Limit)

Journeyjeans

Hey beautiful people!  My wife applied for the NFCU More Rewards card but only got a $1,000 limit.  She's been a member for 5 years, with direct deposit, and I've been a member for 12 years.  She already has a $25,000 limit on her Cash Rewards card, so we were both surprised at the low limit for the More Rewards, especially since I apped for it too and got $25,000.  I followed the instructions here and appealed the limit...TWICE...both times denied and they said to try for a new limit in 3 months....

Sooooo, my question is this:  We should probably just bang the heck out of this card over the next 3 months right?  Put several thousand dollars through it and then apply for a better limit ($25,000) right?  Any other tips or ideas we can do to help increase the possibility of an increased limit? 

Also, when they DO give credit limit increases, how big are they generally? Thank you for any advice you may have!

They are strange. I got a card with $15k limit that quickly went to $25k, $35k and maxed at $50k.

My wife apped and got $1k. Declined for CLIs for a year or more. Finally it went to like $3k. To this day they still decline her for CLIs but then auto-CLI her a week later. She's finally to $15k after 3 years.

Maybe they are mysogenistic? 

However if she already has a card with $25k it's likely she has reached their exposure limit. Could be income based or credit. Completely normal and there's not much you can do about it. 

Edited by shifter

On 8/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, Journeyjeans said:

Hey beautiful people!  My wife applied for the NFCU More Rewards card but only got a $1,000 limit.  She's been a member for 5 years, with direct deposit, and I've been a member for 12 years.  She already has a $25,000 limit on her Cash Rewards card, so we were both surprised at the low limit for the More Rewards, especially since I apped for it too and got $25,000.  I followed the instructions here and appealed the limit...TWICE...both times denied and they said to try for a new limit in 3 months....

Sooooo, my question is this:  We should probably just bang the heck out of this card over the next 3 months right?  Put several thousand dollars through it and then apply for a better limit ($25,000) right?  Any other tips or ideas we can do to help increase the possibility of an increased limit? 

Also, when they DO give credit limit increases, how big are they generally? Thank you for any advice you may have!

What reason did they give you when they refused twice to raise her limit?  Are her reports clean?  Any prior derogatory history with Navy?  

As @shifter stated, she probably has reached her limit considering her income / credit profile.  Does she report the same income as you?

Give it some time.  Sooner or later they will give her an increase.

IME, Navy can be very generous, but their generosity depends on several factors aside from just creditworthiness.  They do have a strong preference for those who are active duty or retired military as well as members with a long membership history.  

Thank you everyone for your insight!  I was going to have her just close it.  What can we do with a $1000 limit?  Plus it makes me feel like we're rebuilding all over again so I was personally offended LOL!  Perhaps we will keep it open and just grow it.  

3 hours ago, Journeyjeans said:

Thank you everyone for your insight!  I was going to have her just close it.  What can we do with a $1000 limit?  Plus it makes me feel like we're rebuilding all over again so I was personally offended LOL!  Perhaps we will keep it open and just grow it.  

1.  You failed to answer the question: What reason did they give you when they refused twice to raise her limit?  Are her reports clean?  Any prior derogatory history with Navy?  

2.  What do you do with a $1,000 limit card from Navy?  Well, for starters, you do what the vast majority of us have done here and stop crying about it after a day or two and then sit back and nurture it until you are at $80k with Navy.