Jump to content

Chase Southwest Wrong Welcome Bonus


StarkRaven$
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was approved for a SW cc. I applied on 7/10 and was approed that same day. This is important because by July 12, the 75K welcome points offer after spending $5K in the first three months went away. I believe it went down to 50K welcome points. Anyhow, I received the new card yesterday and they told me my welcome offer is 10K points after spending $500 in the first three months. I politely and calmly complained and they said they would escalate it to the marketing rewards department and I should receive an answer in 10-14 business days. After a day of thinking about it, I called Chase back and told them that if the orginal offer isn't upheld I want to close the card because I would have no use for it.

 

I orginally applied for the card because I plan on traveling a lot to check on a family member who suffered a stroke. The 75K welcome points would come in handy, but not a measly 10K points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


54 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

I orginally applied for the card because I plan on traveling a lot to check on a family member who suffered a stroke. The 75K welcome points would come in handy, but not a measly 10K points.

 

I think you may have a hurdle here.  It sounds like the card you were approved for was not one of the "elite" (my terminology for Chase's SW Rapid Rewards cards that are deemed to be "Plus"/"Premier"/"Priority") cards that are pushed on the Chase website w/ 50k+ pt SUBs, but instead the basic Rapid Rewards card pushed on the SW website w/ just 10k pts.

 

Can't suggest what's specifically transpired here, but issuers do reserve the right to "downgrade" that card that they approve you for.  I'm hard pressed to imagine that was the case here though.  Could be that it was a mistake in application processing (but that should be so thoroughly automated that I can't see how a wrong card could be assigned.

 

Just asking:  Is there any chance you applied for a card on from the SW website, not realizing it wasn't one of the "elite" cards and actually was offered with the lower bonus?  (I'm pretty sure the answer is "NO!")

 

Reach out again with more info if you want some suggestions on how best to resolve this.  (Wishing for the best possible outcome for you, Stark!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hdporter said:

 

I think you may have a hurdle here.  It sounds like the card you were approved for was not one of the "elite" (my terminology for Chase's SW Rapid Rewards cards that are deemed to be "Plus"/"Premier"/"Priority") cards that are pushed on the Chase website w/ 50k+ pt SUBs, but instead the basic Rapid Rewards card pushed on the SW website w/ just 10k pts.

 

Can't suggest what's specifically transpired here, but issuers do reserve the right to "downgrade" that card that they approve you for.  I'm hard pressed to imagine that was the case here though.  Could be that it was a mistake in application processing (but that should be so thoroughly automated that I can't see how a wrong card could be assigned.

 

Just asking:  Is there any chance you applied for a card on from the SW website, not realizing it wasn't one of the "elite" cards and actually was offered with the lower bonus?  (I'm pretty sure the answer is "NO!")

 

Reach out again with more info if you want some suggestions on how best to resolve this.  (Wishing for the best possible outcome for you, Stark!)

Wish I took screen shots of the process but I didn't. I can provide this article from CNBC that states that all three cc's on the Southwest Airlines' site was offering 75K reward points including the $69 AF cc: Last Chance To Earn 75,000-Point Bonus On Southwest Credit Cards (cnbc.com).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Wish I took screen shots of the process but I didn't. I can provide this article from CNBC that states that all three cc's on the Southwest Airlines' site was offering 75K reward points including the $69 AF cc: Last Chance To Earn 75,000-Point Bonus On Southwest Credit Cards (cnbc.com).

 

The first question I have for you is, "What card did they send you?"  (The card type is indicated above your name on the front of the card.  If there's no designation, then you received their base card, which would be consistent with the SUB you've been offered.)

 

Worst case is that you close this card and re-app again.  Frustrating, but in coming away with an extra inquiry at worst, it's not a terrible situation.  Of course, unless you find a very sympathetic ear at Chase, you've likely lost the 75k pt boosted SUB and will have to settle for 50k (or wait to see if they enhance the SUB again at some later date).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hdporter said:

 

The first question I have for you is, "What card did they send you?"  (The card type is indicated above your name on the front of the card.  If there's no designation, then you received their base card, which would be consistent with the SUB you've been offered.)

 

Worst case is that you close this card and re-app again.  Frustrating, but in coming away with an extra inquiry at worst, it's not a terrible situation.  Of course, unless you find a very sympathetic ear at Chase, you've likely lost the 75k pt boosted SUB and will have to settle for 50k (or wait to see if they enhance the SUB again at some later date).

The card they sent me is called the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Signature. It has a $69 AF and like the other two cards, it with aadvetised coming with a 75K welcome bonus. That ended on 7/12. I was approved on 7/10 (if that makes a difference to this topic). 

 

I really don't suspect, or let me put it another way, expect Chase to change anything. I do want to close the card because it remains useless to me as is. I have a question about closing the card: Aside an inquiry, is there anything bad about closing the card before and without using it in any way? I plan to close without getting any perks because I will not be charging anything on it. I will simply close it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

The card they sent me is called the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Signature. It has a $69 AF and like the other two cards, it with aadvetised coming with a 75K welcome bonus. That ended on 7/12. I was approved on 7/10 (if that makes a difference to this topic). 

 

Let me take this one step at a time and first ensure that we both know exactly which of the SW cards you have ...

 

I believe that multiple SW credit cards are issued under the "VISA Signature" card benefit level.  The text on the card that appears directly above your name, in the lower left corner, is what establishes which of the SW card tiers you have in your possession.   (attaching an image with some of their cards for reference)

 

The card tiers of which I'm aware include):  Plus / Premier / Priority / Premier Business / Performance Business

All but the Plus card has the tier name on the credit card, right above the cardholder name.

 

It appears that only the Business cards are "Signature VISA".

 

spacer.png

Edited by hdporter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

My cc is the grey one that says Rapid Rewards above my name. The lower right hand corner just says VISA with Signature right under the VISA part.

 

Ok, so understand that this card (which is the "Plus" tier card) is consistent with the 10k/$500 spend SUB that they say you have.

 

I get that this is NOT the card you applied for (or were led to believe you were applying for).

 

Earlier in this thread, I suggested the possibility that Chase reserves the right to approve you for another card if you don't qualify for the card for which you applied.  FWIW, I don't think that information is accurate with this product.  There's no such language in any of the agreement text that is presented in the course of the card application (at least from what I could find).  This suggests that either you're approved for the card applied for, or you're declined.

 

This begs the question of how you wound up with a card different that what you applied for.  But, for now, I suggest you simply set that question aside.

 

What I recommend is that you call Chase, indicate to the CSR that you have a question about what Chase considered in the process of reviewing your application and would like to speak with a credit analyst (stay non-specific, if possible), and when you're connected to a credit analyst, state that you were approved for a different card than what you believed you were applying for and ask if they can reconsider your application for the desired product without submitting a new application.

 

If you can, great.  If not, then I believe your only course is to cancel the card you received and reapply.

 

I understand that at the time of your original application there was a stronger SUB.  You'll have to finesse that with the analyst to see if you can pry the higher SUB loose.  (I'm not hopeful, but it's worth a shot.)

 

Please report back.  I'll be pulling for you in the meanwhile!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you HDPorter and TheVig for your advice.

 

I followed HDPorter's advice and I talked to a credit anaylyst. After explaining to her how I applied for this card directly from the SW website and that it was marketed as 75K Reward points after spending $5K in three months, she put me on hold to research it. She came back on the line and said that I was correct that this card I applied for (The Plus Rewards card) was for 75K Rewards points but for some reason, she said they inputed the incorrect code instead of the richer rewards offer code. She said she sent a message armed with her research to suggest they fix the code and return it to the proper code. She said she sent a detailed message. So, I wait to see if the Rewards Marketing department will make this cc worth my while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Thank you HDPorter and TheVig for your advice.

 

I followed HDPorter's advice and I talked to a credit anaylyst. After explaining to her how I applied for this card directly from the SW website and that it was marketed as 75K Reward points after spending $5K in three months, she put me on hold to research it. She came back on the line and said that I was correct that this card I applied for (The Plus Rewards card) was for 75K Rewards points but for some reason, she said they inputed the incorrect code instead of the richer rewards offer code. She said she sent a message armed with her research to suggest they fix the code and return it to the proper code. She said she sent a detailed message. So, I wait to see if the Rewards Marketing department will make this cc worth my while.

 

Sounds like the sun is shining down on you so far. Not everyday a person gets lucky to get connected to the right people in such matters.

 

Keep us updated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, I received the letterr promised. They approved the 75K reward points. However, I have some catch up to do since three months upon account opening, lots of time has been wasted. I am on it!

 

Here's the verbage from the letter: 

 

"Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. We are writing in reference to your coversation with a Chase Customer Service Specialist on regarding the enrollment offer on your Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus credit card account.

 

We understand you are interested in a different 10,000 bonus points offer and reviewed the application you submitted. Your current enrollment offer is to earn 10,000 rewards points after spending $500 on purchases with $200 statement credit after the first transaction on the account with three months of account opening.

 

You can match below offer:

*Earn 75,000 Rapid Rewards points after you spend $5000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.

 

However, if you wish to have the $200 statement credit rebilled to the account, we would then be able to add the additional 65,000 Rapid Rewards points to match the 75,000 points offer.

 

Purchases do ot inclde balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fradulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      185027
    • Most Online
      2046

    Newest Member
    Happyfeet1
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines