Applied for cash rewards credit card. Receiving "points card"

Burnooger

I recently applied for a PNC cash rewards card on or around June 16th. I received a confirmation email from PNC stating that I was approved for this card specifically and that they would be automatically upgrading Me to PNC cash rewards signature and would be soon mailing me out my card with the terms and conditions. I applied online directly from an offer linked to my checking account. Yesterday I received an email stating I would be receiving a Points card  and Lo and behold a points card shows up in my online account NOT a cash rewards card. I am frustrated. I was routed to underwriting today who tell me there is nothing they can do which is ridiculous. I asked to speak to a supervisor and told none were available and I'd need to wait for call back. Still waiting. Any advice? I had my credit report run to apply for what I thought was a good rewards card after much research so bow my credit score goes down a couple points. To me this I'd fraudulent as I signed online the terms and conditions for the cash rewards card and not this points card. Canceling this card I did not request is not an answer as it could further hurt my report. Thank you. 

• Admin

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin:  Pam, MarvBear, radi8, LKH & 😇breeze😇

Can only suggest you take your approving email, along with other correspondence, to a bank branch and ask a manager to assist you.  They tend to be responsive and higher motivated.  (I've banked with PNC since 1985.)

I have the Cash card.  The points card doesn't appeal to me because a point is estimated to be worth approx 0.22 cents.  Even with the best PNC relationship bonus, and 4 points per $ spend, you're getting just 1.5% in cashback equivalent value.

I maintain a relationship with PNC because I've been with them since 1985 and they're convenient locally for check cashing and other counter services.  However, were I to choose a local bank today, I'd likely go with BA, who offers a much full complement of services and more attractive relationship bonuses.

Maybe you can look at this frustrating experience as impetus to switch horses ...

Could it be that this is a situation where the creditor defaults you to a lesser card if you don't qualify for the better, prime card? Read the fine print on the application you completed.

and welcome to CB!

bored... looked at some of the mouse print from PNC and had to LOL at

You also represent that
you have not submitted, nor will submit, any application for credit to another lender prior to our
consideration of your application

PNC also makes clear how to unwind the approval:

If you do not like the terms of the credit card agreement sent to you with your credit card, you can
rescind your credit card agreement by not using your credit card account and contacting us at 1-
800-558-8472. If you use the credit card account, you agree to the terms and conditions of the
credit card agreement and you will be liable

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

Could it be that this is a situation where the creditor defaults you to a lesser card if you don't qualify for the better, prime card? Read the fine print on the application you completed.

I wouldn't distinguish between the cards in terms of "prime"ness.  The Cash rewards card is a VISA Sig, by default, which typically requires qualifying for a $5000 min credit line.  Presumably, someone who didn't meet the income threshold, but otherwise is fully creditworthy, would be sidelined to the Points card.

@Burnooger says he/she received an email confirming issuance of a Cash Siggy.  I think it would be helpful to review the language in the email to better understand what may have happened here.

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

You also represent that
you have not submitted, nor will submit, any application for credit to another lender prior to our
consideration of your application

Holy Christ! What an astonishing bewilderment!  😲

That's the first time I've heard a bank threaten to cancel your application if you simultaneously apply to another issuer credit product. Gosh! It's really gotten tight on how to proceed for additional credit, getting extra credit is really stressful.

Jeez! I'm adding PNC to my "do not apply" list!