Choice Hotels to acquire Radisson Hotel Group Americas in deal valued at about $675 million

hegemony

Years ago, Radisson was a nice brand.  Seems like they continue to swirl down towards the drain with each successive sale though...Choice acquiring them puts them on par with a Best Western.

28 minutes ago, centex said:

Years ago, Radisson was a nice brand.  Seems like they continue to swirl down towards the drain with each successive sale though...Choice acquiring them puts them on par with a Best Western.

In Europe they are still pretty nice on average.

It's just the Radisson Americas Group that is going to Choice.

Radisson is owned by the Chinese Govt. Due to privacy concerns on the US side, Radisson was forced to split the company in two. A big PITA for them. They were also forced to split their loyalty program.

Long term, US residents who are members of Radisson's loyalty program will be merged into Choice at some point. What the points conversion will be, is anybody's guess. I suspect it to be at least a year before Radisson loyalists can use their points at Rodeway Inn.

Not too long ago the Radisson credit card was nerfed.

That's the highlights.

1 hour ago, PhoenixDown said:

I truly hate Choice hotels, simply the absolute worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. I don't stay at Raddison's often but the ones I stayed at were decent. That's pretty much off the table now. 

Wanna share some details on that experience?

17 hours ago, TheVig said:

Wanna share some details on that experience?

• Room was filthy with a ton of dust.
  • Bathtub/shower didn't drain at all.
  • Rude and condencending front desk team.
  • Room decour was from the 70's.... which would have been fine if there wasn't dust from the 70's caked in.
  • Mattress and pillows had more lumps that I can even describe. I would have preferred to go and sleep in my car. 

There's probably more I thankfully don't remember as it was several years ago. When I talked about it with friends, a lot of them shared their own horror stories. Simply not worth it when there are so many better options out there. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixDown said:

• Room was filthy with a ton of dust.
  • Bathtub/shower didn't drain at all.
  • Rude and condencending front desk team.
  • Room decour was from the 70's.... which would have been fine if there wasn't dust from the 70's caked in.
  • Mattress and pillows had more lumps that I can even describe. I would have preferred to go and sleep in my car. 

There's probably more I thankfully don't remember as it was several years ago. When I talked about it with friends, a lot of them shared their own horror stories. Simply not worth it when there are so many better options out there. 

I spend a 120 to 160 days a year in Choice properties. The only issues I've ever had that compare with yours is when I stay at a Rodeway Inn or an Econo Lodge. I've had good luck with Sleep Inn and most Quality Inns.

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

I've had decent Choice experiences but only stay when I'm in a small town without a Hyatt or other choice

(yes I intended the pun)

That's why I am a big fan of the Hilton program. They have the boujee hotels in big cities, but they usually have a Hampton Inn or Garden Inn in most towns of like 50k plus people. You can stay upscale or on a budget and still get decent rewards on your stays and at least some kind of benefits from your status. I think their redemptions for points are OK. I just hit Diamond status with them this week, so I am excited to see the benefits of that on my next trip. I think I would probably stay at a Holiday Inn before a Choice hotel/motel....

I've had both good and bad experiences at Econo Lodges, and good experiences farther up the scale at Choice, including some long-term stays.

I must admit that my experience with Radisson is in a higher class, though.  I'm surprised to see this acquisition.