Dagnabbit...AMEX got me...

centex

...to finally upgrade Cash Magnet to Cash Preferred.  Not just the waiver of the AF for the first year that has been a standard offer, but they had to go and toss in $150 statement credit for a measly $1K in six months. 

Not thrilled about the AF down the road ($95), but the 6% on grocery spend should more than cover it just by itself, especially in the current climate. 

47 minutes ago, centex said:

...to finally upgrade Cash Magnet to Cash Preferred.  Not just the waiver of the AF for the first year that has been a standard offer, but they had to go and toss in $150 statement credit for a measly $1K in six months. 

Not thrilled about the AF down the road ($95), but the 6% on grocery spend should more than cover it just by itself, especially in the current climate. 

The card's been a no-brainer for us.  Just doubled up with "his/hers" when we realized that we were blowing through the $6k grocery cap in just 5 mo.

Still trying to get my head around that (but, groceries are Bev's domain ... I trust her to manage it).  Couple factors there:  As I've expressed ad nauseum, Bev's mobility restricted and not ready to maneuver a grocery store at any length.  So Instacart, w/ select store related mark-up, figures large these days.  "Prepared Food" items account for a greater share of purchases.  There's also the fact that Costco, when purchased via Instacart, is getting the "grocery" treatment from Amex (not "warehouse").  So that's a big chunk of our $6k cap that previously wasn't included.

5 hours ago, hdporter said:

There's also the fact that Costco, when purchased via Instacart, is getting the "grocery" treatment from Amex (not "warehouse"). 

Woah, thats huge!  I know the insta-cart prices are marked up some but I may have to explore that.

1 hour ago, Gronnie said:

Netflix gets 6% on BCP?

I didn't read all that close, but I remember seeing streaming services being covered...I'll look more closely when the card arrives since I am looking at an alternative for Sling now that they discontinued VSIN (which is the primary reason I had Sling in the first place). 

Oh wow, I never saw they changed it. Just looked and it looks like certain streaming services are 6%.

Time to switch from my Double Cash to the BCP for streaming payments!

• 1 month later...

Color me impressed...first statement cycle has not even closed and they posted the bonus already.  I fully expected that it would not hit until the cycle closed even though the meager spend had been satisfied. 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, hdporter said:

There's also the fact that Costco, when purchased via Instacart, is getting the "grocery" treatment from Amex (not "warehouse").

Just a heads-up that a recent "Costco by Instacart" purchase only was credited with 1% cb.   They may have nailed a loophole shut (hope my post wasn't a factor 🙄)

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

not Shudder?  SAD!!!

Seems like Shudder draws the short straw all the way around.  We package AMC+ into Prime Video so that we get the benefit of 5% cb on the Prime Store card. 

You would think that Shudder, an AMC service, would either be part of AMC+ package , or that you could add it into Prime Video.  Nope.

So, no premium cb on Shudder from either Amex or Prime Store card.  (US Bank's Cash+ has a 5% cb streaming option, but is more limited than most with only 6 services ... great choice if you have cable though, which is included.)

5 hours ago, hdporter said:

Seems like Shudder draws the short straw all the way around.  We package AMC+ into Prime Video so that we get the benefit of 5% cb on the Prime Store card. 

You would think that Shudder, an AMC service, would either be part of AMC+ package , or that you could add it into Prime Video.  Nope.

So, no premium cb on Shudder from either Amex or Prime Store card.  (US Bank's Cash+ has a 5% cb streaming option, but is more limited than most with only 6 services ... great choice if you have cable though, which is included.)

the horror of it all!!!