Mini AmEx Rant - Similar card Numbers

Ok, I have more than a few AmEx cards at this point. I enjoy all of them, but there is a minor annoyance I am having with them. They keep giving me the same last 4 digits on the card numbers! I think at least four of my cards now end with the same sequence of numbers, which is confusing me, especially on certain websites where I might use multiple different cards from them, like Delta.

For example, my Delta Reserve and my Platinum card are both on that website because I use them both on there for different purposes. But they end in the same numbers, so it is really difficult to distinguish them at times. Some screens will show the nickname or the expiration date, but some do not. It’s a mess! 

I have ran into this on the Hilton website as well. I also keep my Hilton card and Platinum on there, but again, they end in the same sequence of numbers! This is a headache sometimes, especially when you are relying on the credits or benefits from one of these specific cards and you can’t tell them apart.

Ok, rant over. I just find this to be a little odd. Has anyone else seen this happen with their AmEx cards?

53 minutes ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

Ok, I have more than a few AmEx cards at this point. I enjoy all of them, but there is a minor annoyance I am having with them. They keep giving me the same last 4 digits on the card numbers! I think at least four of my cards now end with the same sequence of numbers, which is confusing me, especially on certain websites where I might use multiple different cards from them, like Delta.

For example, my Delta Reserve and my Platinum card are both on that website because I use them both on there for different purposes. But they end in the same numbers, so it is really difficult to distinguish them at times. Some screens will show the nickname or the expiration date, but some do not. It’s a mess! 

I have ran into this on the Hilton website as well. I also keep my Hilton card and Platinum on there, but again, they end in the same sequence of numbers! This is a headache sometimes, especially when you are relying on the credits or benefits from one of these specific cards and you can’t tell them apart.

Ok, rant over. I just find this to be a little odd. Has anyone else seen this happen with their AmEx cards?

Me too with 2 of mine

On 5/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

Ok, I have more than a few AmEx cards at this point. I enjoy all of them, but there is a minor annoyance I am having with them. They keep giving me the same last 4 digits on the card numbers!

This sounds plausible ...

If all cards are issued with their original number, the first digit of the last set of 4 will be "1".  (If a card number is replaced due to security concerns, this digits will advance to "2", "3", etc.)

If all cards are issued to the primary account holder, the middle two digits of the last set of 4 will be "00"  (Each AU account is numbered successively here.)

So the last 4 digits of the primary cardholder will typically be 100X, where "X" is a "check digit" that's calculated from the digits in the account number, and provides a rough check of card validity when you enter the account number into a website, etc.  (there's only a 10% chance that a card with a digit mis-typed will yield a given check digit).

We have 5 primary Amex cards in our household,  ending in:  1000, 1002, 1003, 1005, 1008.  

The odds that all 5 of these accounts have different ending digits (4) is 30%.  (Odds of at least 1 duplicate is 70%).  The likelihood of 4 accounts with the same last 4 digits (out of a total of how many cards?) is going to be MUCH smaller.  However, we may still be talking something like 1 out of 1000 cardholders, which makes you exceptional, but you have plenty of company.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

So the ones I have that are similar are all 1008! I am counting 3 with 1008, but there may be a fourth one. Authorized user cards seem to be less likely to have this problem.

NOW I know where those charges are coming from that I don't recognize LOL! 

12 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

So the ones I have that are similar are all 1008! I am counting 3 with 1008, but there may be a fourth one. Authorized user cards seem to be less likely to have this problem.

The number leading to 1008 is the account to be identified, such as 0-9 of any number before 1008, which can be 01008, 21008, 91008, and the like.

100 is the primary card membership number or the basic card membership identification number. The supplementary card of the authorized person number or authorized a user number is a number other than 100, such as 101, 102, 103, etc.