Jump to content

The last credit/debit card of mine to get a chip.


Burgerwars
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Aside from the store and gas cards, the last card of my Visas, MasterCards, Amex, Discover, etc., to get a chip arrived yesterday. It's Universal City Studios Credit Union Visa (Burbank, CA). They get the award for being the slowest to convert. I joined about a decade ago. In addition to NBC and Universal employees, residents of most of the extended Los Angeles area can join. 

Edited by Burgerwars
Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

Aside from the store and gas cards, the last card of my Visas, MasterCards, Amex, Discover, etc., to get a chip arrived yesterday. It's Universal City Studios Credit Union Visa (Burbank, CA). They get the award for being the slowest to convert. I joined about a decade ago. In addition to NBC and Universal employees, residents of most of the extended Los Angeles area can join. 


It is a bit amusing how these kinds of cards stand out, isn’t it? I have a prepaid card I use frequently (an organization sends me money using it) and it doesn’t have a chip or a contactless option. They just replaced the card too and still it does not. 
 

The other black sheep card I have is my Alliant Credit Union Visa. I have the platinum rewards one and my DH has the Signature one. Neither one has contactless! I think my Alliant debit card even has contactless, but their credit cards not having them seems a little odd. Literally every other card I have (credit or debit) has a chip and tap to pay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:


It is a bit amusing how these kinds of cards stand out, isn’t it? I have a prepaid card I use frequently (an organization sends me money using it) and it doesn’t have a chip or a contactless option. They just replaced the card too and still it does not. 
 

The other black sheep card I have is my Alliant Credit Union Visa. I have the platinum rewards one and my DH has the Signature one. Neither one has contactless! I think my Alliant debit card even has contactless, but their credit cards not having them seems a little odd. Literally every other card I have (credit or debit) has a chip and tap to pay. 

 

The prepaid cards, especially the one's you buy at the store, will probably be the last to have chips and have contactless. They're more expensive to produce. The prepaid card issuers are probably thinking they'll delay it as long as possible, especially since a lot of those cards sold at the store may never be sold, activated or used. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

Neither one has contactless!

You mentioned contactless on credit cards, the cards I recently approved don't have a contactless option on the front or back of the card. It's too bad they say the future is fintech stuff, because currently neither the Apple Card nor the BlockFi Card have a contactless option on the physical card.

 

Now, my BlockFi card will be updated in 5 years, maybe by then they might post a contactless logo on the card to promote contactless viable options.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MP80 said:

You mentioned contactless on credit cards, the cards I recently approved don't have a contactless option on the front or back of the card. It's too bad they say the future is fintech stuff, because currently neither the Apple Card nor the BlockFi Card have a contactless option on the physical card.

 

Now, my BlockFi card will be updated in 5 years, maybe by then they might post a contactless logo on the card to promote contactless viable options.  :)

I can understand why the Apple Card doesn’t though. They want to encourage you to use Apple Pay, which is their version of contactless. I am surprised about the BlockFi one though. You’d expect a fintech to embrace all the tech features, but I think the card is issued by someone else at the end of the day.
 

I like tap to pay because it speeds up the checkout process, whereas chips and Apply Pay make it slower. Like in the old days when we could swipe and be done. I’m about to go to Europe, and I am curious to see how well they have adopted tapping and Apple Pay over there. However, I think I’m gonna be going to a lot of mom-and-pop places, so it probably will be mostly chip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I am surprised about the BlockFi one though. You’d expect a fintech to embrace all the tech features, but I think the card is issued by someone else at the end of the day.

Yup. I remember Poto's aggressive saying to don't trust those fintech institutions because most of these issuers are small banks that are subprime or never heard of in the credit industry.

 

For example, issuers like Sofi, Gemini, Upgrade (your card), and BlockFi (my card) are basically unknown entities to us that somehow have a tendency to crash like Blispay which might give you problems you don't like, and those are the short-end vision presented.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      184563
    • Most Online
      2046

    Newest Member
    Getwithit
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines