Jump to content

Amex Blacklist after Amex IIB


Jeffster
 Share

Recommended Posts

I filed Chapter 13 in April 2017 and got my discharge in early January 2021. I included two Amex in my BK. I read a lot about the Amex blacklist but tested the waters a few times by accessing the pre-qualification page. I always…unsurprisingly…came up with instant NOTHING. 

 

I was bored this past weekend and accessed the pre-qual page again. It came back saying I was pre-qualified for the Amex Gold card. Knowing that if I’m blacklisted, they wouldn’t even pull a CR, I applied. They pulled TU and came back with a denial.

 

I called today for a reason, and was told that it wasn’t a denial. My app was “cancelled” because they needed a 4506-C from me, which they were going to request in a letter to be coming my way. I figured I had gone this far, so I submitted the 4506-C right away. I had time to kill and it really took no time at all.

 

I know if I were blacklisted, they wouldn’t have pulled my CR, and they certainly wouldn’t have asked for the 4506-C. Even if denied, at least I know now that whatever they deny me for is something that will correct itself quicker than the blacklist would have lasted. 
 

I wonder what the chances are of being approved after they request a 4506-C.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Jeffster said:

I filed Chapter 13 in April 2017 and got my discharge in early January 2021. I included two Amex in my BK. I read a lot about the Amex blacklist but tested the waters a few times by accessing the pre-qualification page. I always…unsurprisingly…came up with instant NOTHING. 

 

I was bored this past weekend and accessed the pre-qual page again. It came back saying I was pre-qualified for the Amex Gold card. Knowing that if I’m blacklisted, they wouldn’t even pull a CR, I applied. They pulled TU and came back with a denial.

 

I called today for a reason, and was told that it wasn’t a denial. My app was “cancelled” because they needed a 4506-C from me, which they were going to request in a letter to be coming my way. I figured I had gone this far, so I submitted the 4506-C right away. I had time to kill and it really took no time at all.

 

I know if I were blacklisted, they wouldn’t have pulled my CR, and they certainly wouldn’t have asked for the 4506-C. Even if denied, at least I know now that whatever they deny me for is something that will correct itself quicker than the blacklist would have lasted. 
 

I wonder what the chances are of being approved after they request a 4506-C.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

good luck! it took me >10 years to get back in with amex.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeffster said:

I wonder what the chances are of being approved after they request a 4506-C.

 

If they were going to deny you for any reason related to past delinquency/IIB, I don't think they would bother with the 4506-C request.

 

I'm inclined to believe that so long as they don't see anything "hinky" with the 4506-C, you'll see an approval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hdporter said:

 

If they were going to deny you for any reason related to past delinquency/IIB, I don't think they would bother with the 4506-C request.

 

I'm inclined to believe that so long as they don't see anything "hinky" with the 4506-C, you'll see an approval.

Thank you so much. Your advice makes sense. I really was expecting an instant denial and no pull. I only called this morning to find out the reason. I did see it as a positive that they were interested in the 4506-C. 
it really took no time at all to do.

 

My income more than doubled from when I filed Chap 13. I’m thinking that their records flagged that.

 

thank you again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I discharged AMEX in a BK back in 2008 to the tune of about $70,000 and they still won't let me back in.  I tried applying for a Delta Amex card because I thought I was going to have to start using Delta a lot more and they wouldn't even pull my credit, just sent an instant denial.

B of A and Chase got burned for more, and both finally let me back in last year.  

 

When my wife tries to add me to her personal Amex account they tell her I am not eligible even as an authorized user.  At one point they dropped her credit limit from $25,000 to $1,000 but that was a few years later.  Right now her limit sits at $2,000.

I have had business accounts with Chase and Amex where she is the guarantor since 2017 and with B of A on a company where I'm the sole owner since 2020, even though neither B of A nor Chase would give me personal cards until last year.

Every other creditor that was IIB that still exists has let me back in much sooner.  

 

My current FICO 8 scores are 809/804/810.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, Jeffster said:

I filed Chapter 13 in April 2017 and got my discharge in early January 2021. I included two Amex in my BK. I read a lot about the Amex blacklist but tested the waters a few times by accessing the pre-qualification page. I always…unsurprisingly…came up with instant NOTHING. 

 

I was bored this past weekend and accessed the pre-qual page again. It came back saying I was pre-qualified for the Amex Gold card. Knowing that if I’m blacklisted, they wouldn’t even pull a CR, I applied. They pulled TU and came back with a denial.

 

I called today for a reason, and was told that it wasn’t a denial. My app was “cancelled” because they needed a 4506-C from me, which they were going to request in a letter to be coming my way. I figured I had gone this far, so I submitted the 4506-C right away. I had time to kill and it really took no time at all.

 

I know if I were blacklisted, they wouldn’t have pulled my CR, and they certainly wouldn’t have asked for the 4506-C. Even if denied, at least I know now that whatever they deny me for is something that will correct itself quicker than the blacklist would have lasted. 
 

I wonder what the chances are of being approved after they request a 4506-C.

 

You did a 13 instead of 7 was this a 100% repayment plan? Did Amex take a loss as a result of the BK (disregarding any waived interest)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are anecdotes on the "other white meat" board that Amex will consider an app for someone who had an Amex discharged in BK, starting at the 5 year mark after filing.  The time frame noted in this thread fits that scenario.

 

Overall discussion is that it's YMMV.  Amount makes a difference.

Edited by hdporter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

Overall discussion is that it's YMMV.  Amount makes a difference.

Apparently, without the POT option, he might have a very small line of credit of $500.

 

The interesting thing about POT a few years ago is that the POT credit limit policy is divided by the tier grade of the credit card, so if you have a Green personal card like me, the POT credit limit is $25,000, while the Gold and Platinum cards are $35,000. Cash advances also are made through a tiered card, mine was $3000, and Gold or Platinum could be $5000 or more.

 

It now appears that these policies are based on a case-by-case basis epitomized on personal data. You might get approved for a Gold or Platinum card and end up with a $1 to $5,000 POT line of credit, which is a crazy way to pay a hefty annual fee without a decent spending option, it's really troublesome, and terrible if you get in trouble like being stranded in the cold.
 

Edited by MP80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Sorry….I should have come back to update. 

My Amex Gold Card app was approved.
 

Today, I was also approved for the Amex BCE with a SL of 6K. I’m VERY excited to be back in with Amex
 

My BK was a 13 which I converted into a 100 percent plan when I found myself in a position to get a DC 1.5 years, earlier. My DC was early January 2021. 
 

I don’t use POT. If there is anything this BK taught me was to be a PIF guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, TeeSharice said:

Amex Hilton Honors.  Applied on a whim... instant approval for $18K

Ive burned them BAD twice before, once IIB (filed Sept 2012, discharged April?2013) and once not just closed delinquent

no idea of current scores... they pulled TU so i will check later 

outstanding!

 

:wave:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      188365
    • Most Online
      2046

    Newest Member
    milanismama
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines