Citibank Sears MasterCard

Burgerwars

I just used my Citibank Sears MasterCard at 7-Eleven this morning.  I'm not sure how many physical Sears stores are left in the U.S., but it can't be more than a few.  I wonder what Citibank will eventually do with my Sears MasterCard. I'm thinking it will be converted to some plain-old Citibank card sometime in the future.

This card I originally got as a Sears card, when Sears ran their own credit departments. They had what they called "Credit Centrals" with the Credit Central for my card located behind the Sears in Canoga Park/West Hills, CA.  This is long gone, and was long before the Sears was replaced with a Walmart.  I know it was a long time ago, but I wonder what happened to the Credit Central employees. It must have been a shock when they were told the Credit Central was closing, with the accounts going to Citibank. At least back then, Sears still existed.  They could probably get a job in the store, selling shoes or something else.  😕 

A few years ago my fairly inactive Sears Card was replaced with a "Shop Your Way" Mastercard.  It earns reward points that can be redeemed at Sears/K-Mart or for catalog merchandise.

I've hardly dipped my toe in the SYW universe.  They've emailed me regular promos where quarterly category purchases earn 10%-15% point credits.  Frankly, I haven't had much time to divert my attention to the card program.  Not sure if those promo's are teasers to get me to use the card, or if they would be sustained with regular use.

I did throw $600+ onto the card with promo purchases Jan/Feb 2021, and then sidelined the card.  Became aware in just checking, prompted by your post, that points lapse after a year.

It's possible that Sears/K-Mart may ultimate only have a web presence (don't know how they survive against Amazon and the like).  If so, it's possible the the Sears Card and/or SYW cards will persist.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never heard of "Credit Central" before.

In 2002,  I had the Sears store card and Mastercard. Both cards were issued and maintained by Sears National Bank as a creditor. I recall the store card is dark blue the MC is gold color.

Shortly, all the credit card was purchased and managed by Citibank. 

At the same time, Georgia's Monogram credit card, along with department store credit card co-branded cards and gas cards, were transferred to Citibank and issued by Citibank.

I had a Discover card back in the mid 80's shortly after Sears started offering it. I had it about 15 years or so and they would mail a new one each time it expired. Until they gave up.

In all that time I never used it even once.

I don't recall how I originally got the card. Not something I would have apped for. I think it was a phone call offer.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MP80 said:

I've never heard of "Credit Central" before.

In 2002,  I had the Sears store card and Mastercard. Both cards were issued and maintained by Sears National Bank as a creditor. I recall the store card is dark blue the MC is gold color.

Shortly, all the credit card was purchased and managed by Citibank. 

At the same time, Georgia's Monogram credit card, along with department store credit card co-branded cards and gas cards, were transferred to Citibank and issued by Citibank.

That was the term. If you have an old Sears card (I save my old cards), there is a smaller four digit number below the account number. This number was the Credit Central the card was issued from, which was usually the one closest to where you lived.  

Edited by Burgerwars

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

That was the term. If you have an old Sears card (I save my old cards), there is a smaller four digit number below the account number. This number was the Credit Central the card was issued from, which was usually the one closest to where you lived.  

My Sears card doesn't show any 4-digit code or Credit Central content.

I assume that you have those old rectangular shape "Sear Roebuck and Co" credit cards. 

Now here is a version of the credit card issued by Sears in the 2000s.

BTW - Blue Sears store cards closed in 2006 and reported 11 years at Experian until 2018.

9iAt6SD.jpg

cBfCHr1.jpg

j5PT9Ww.jpg

Edited by MP80

4 hours ago, MP80 said:

My Sears card doesn't show any 4-digit code or Credit Central content.

I assume that you have those old rectangular shape "Sear Roebuck and Co" credit cards. 

Now here is a version of the credit card issued by Sears in the 2000s.

BTW - Blue Sears store cards closed in 2006 and reported 11 years at Experian until 2018.

9iAt6SD.jpg

cBfCHr1.jpg

j5PT9Ww.jpg

Yes, it's one of those old, have size, rectangular Sears cards. Cards that size were also issued by JC Penney, Bullock's, Saks Fifth Avenue, May Company, etc.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

Yes, it's one of those old, have size, rectangular Sears cards. Cards that size were also issued by JC Penney, Bullock's, Saks Fifth Avenue, May Company, etc.

Yep. Your card may have been issued in the late '80s or early '90s. The rectangular cards are just the right size to fit in the bottom pocket of your wallet.  The bottom pocket is for fitting rectangular shape store cards.  But, those cards are not MasterCard. :)

Edited by MP80

One of my first credit card accounts, my Sears was opened in 1981.  I have the charge plate stashed away, but not taking the time to haul it out.  It looked like this one:

iHXFI8K.png

LIke this card, my card bore the 4 digit number noted by @Burgerwars.  And, yes, I remember "Credit Central" very well.  Initially, it was a full service desk in each Sears store.  I recall it transitioning to a phone on the wall back by catalog pickup sometime around 1985.

I app'd a SYW card in I think April 2020, to buy the fiancée an upright freezer for the garage.  Price was good, supply at all other stores was non-existent, and the 12mo 0% payoff deal was extra nice.

Fiancée went and died last month, so yeah. :(

2 hours ago, brainchasm said:

I app'd a SYW card in I think April 2020, to buy the fiancée an upright freezer for the garage.  Price was good, supply at all other stores was non-existent, and the 12mo 0% payoff deal was extra nice.

Fiancée went and died last month, so yeah. :(

Sorry for your loss.