Amazon Visa remains with jpOrgan Chase

hegemony

7 hours ago, hegemony said:

I'm surprised that Chase hasn't managed to negotiate to snatch up the Store Card from Synchrony.  I would have thought that from a business intel perspective, it would be beneficial to have all that data under one roof and that additional economies of scale would accrete marginal revenue that the two could further divide.

4 hours ago, hdporter said:

I'm surprised that Chase hasn't managed to negotiate to snatch up the Store Card from Synchrony.  I would have thought that from a business intel perspective, it would be beneficial to have all that data under one roof and that additional economies of scale would accrete marginal revenue that the two could further divide.

And that might get me back in with Chase ;)

16 hours ago, hdporter said:

store card portfolio management is very different from bank card. Chase has little experience with the former.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:44 AM, hegemony said:

store card portfolio management is very different from bank card. Chase has little experience with the former.

That's an astute and salient point that I managed to have overlooked entirely. 

For one thing, I assume that such charges must be cleared and settled outside of the VI/MC network.  And, one would imagine that Synchrony's contract with Amazon is distinctly disparate from Chase's current contract.  It may be that there's little opportunity to conform the Amazon Store Card contract to something comparable to the VISA contract in a manner that remains attractive to Chase.

What I believe you more directly allude to is that Chase doesn't manage a store card portfolio, where customer credit risk is keenly different from their VI card portfolio.  It may be a simple as that isn't a pothole that Chase cares to step into.

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

That's an astute and salient point that I managed to have overlooked entirely. 

For one thing, I assume that such charges must be cleared and settled outside of the VI/MC network.  And, one would imagine that Synchrony's contract with Amazon is distinctly disparate from Chase's current contract.  It may be that there's little opportunity to conform the Amazon Store Card contract to something comparable to the VISA contract in a manner that remains attractive to Chase.

What I believe you more directly allude to is that Chase doesn't manage a store card portfolio, where customer credit risk is keenly different from their VI card portfolio.  It may be a simple as that isn't a pothole that Chase cares to step into.

there are also regulatory as well as investor concerns to consider. I imagine if chase wanted to be in store cards it would have been by now (or buy someone)

I wish Chase would allow a product change from a Chase only credit card to a Chase/Amazon card. I ended up with three of them over the years. It's the only way I would get the card.

6 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I wish Chase would allow a product change from a Chase only credit card to a Chase/Amazon card. I ended up with three of them over the years. It's the only way I would get the card.

Ended up with three Chase/Amazon cards?   ??    Also, don't understand the impediment now ...  <sorry>

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

Ended up with three Chase/Amazon cards?   ??    Also, don't understand the impediment now ...  <sorry>

Actually I started with one. The other two I didn't apply for. One was my CSUN Alumni Association Visa card. Chase took over the card accounts from the bank that had it (I'm forgetting the bank's name) and issued me a plain-old Visa card. The other was one I had with Washington Mutual bank. When that bank went belly-up, Chase took them over. I don't want to open another Chase card.

That's how I ended up with three Chase cards. 🤔

Edited by Burgerwars

Ok, got the Chase card history ...

15 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I wish Chase would allow a product change ... It's the only way I would get the card.

So, why are you averse to applying outright for the Amazon Visa w/ Chase?

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

Ok, got the Chase card history ...

So, why are you averse to applying outright for the Amazon Visa w/ Chase?

At this time I don't want a new account and inquiry on my credit report. Maybe later, though. Product changes are better.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2022 at 6:28 PM, PhoenixDown said:

Would have been nice if Amex won this business. I have enough exposure with Chase that I don't want to go for their Amazon card. 

there is never enough exposure to chase IMHO. I'm at 175K and would love more. :)

Edited by hegemony

• 3 weeks later...
Would have been nice if Amex won this business. I have enough exposure with Chase that I don't want to go for their Amazon card. 

AmEx has the Amazon Business Card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk