CARNAGE delivery apps?

hegemony

• hegemony changed the title to CARNAGE delivery apps?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, hdporter said:

If you ask my wife, "everyone who values their time will buy groceries this way in the future ..."

I believe that she writes off the time spent *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity*ing up a storm about what actually showed up on our doorstep as a "recreational pastime".

The cats are in hiding again ... Bev's sifting through today's Instacart delivery.  (It's not pretty ...)

• 4 weeks later...

More Instacart shopper fun & games today ...

Delivery turned up 2 packages of Kiolbassa smoked beef in lieu of hot dogs, a 7 oz bag of chips (charged for 12 oz), chorizo sausage instead of Italian sausage and the wrong type/brand of hot dog buns.  (Met with the usual vocal reaction ...)

There's a "silver lining" to the food substitutions ... on complaint to Instacart they refund the purchase price and we're free to keep the erroneous items (to the tune of $20 and change this time), ordering replacements as desired.  An added step in filing a claim this time:  They requested that Bev send photos of the incorrect items.

I've never had groceries delivered to my house, and I've never had meals delivered to my house (maybe Dominos Pizza way back when delivery first began).  I guess that makes us a bit of an oddity.  When I buy groceries I like going up and down the aisles.  When I get fast food I want to talk into a speaker at the drive-through.  I do prefer growing my own vegetables and cooking at home, I'll bet we don't eat out more then 6-8 times a year, and we might bring food home another 6-8 times a year.

15 hours ago, A Credit Ed said:

I've never had groceries delivered to my house, and I've never had meals delivered to my house (maybe Dominos Pizza way back when delivery first began).  I guess that makes us a bit of an oddity.  When I buy groceries I like going up and down the aisles.  When I get fast food I want to talk into a speaker at the drive-through.  I do prefer growing my own vegetables and cooking at home, I'll bet we don't eat out more then 6-8 times a year, and we might bring food home another 6-8 times a year.

We're in the same boat.  Have only had groceries delivered a couple of times (usually when coming back from vacation and want them to arrive the day we get back).  Main reason is that I want to be able to pick my own produce, etc.  I have seen some of the shoppers and they don't look like they can pick their nose correctly let alone pick out good produce.

I don't mind the food delivery, but my wife has an irrational paranoia that the driver will somehow mess with the food...of course I point out that the person making it is equally as (un)likely to do so...which is met with expected results...

19 hours ago, hdporter said:

More Instacart shopper fun & games today ...

Delivery turned up 2 packages of Kiolbassa smoked beef in lieu of hot dogs, a 7 oz bag of chips (charged for 12 oz), chorizo sausage instead of Italian sausage and the wrong type/brand of hot dog buns.  (Met with the usual vocal reaction ...)

There's a "silver lining" to the food substitutions ... on complaint to Instacart they refund the purchase price and we're free to keep the erroneous items (to the tune of $20 and change this time), ordering replacements as desired.  An added step in filing a claim this time:  They requested that Bev send photos of the incorrect items.

I tried my hand at being a SHIPT Shopper for a little while part time.  I will say, when the requested items are not there, I always did my best to let the customer know and offer the substitutions.  However, since time is tracked, the shoppers could get penalized if they waited for responses too long.   If a customer never contacted me back, my best judgement would be would I want item B substituted for Item A.  In your case I would not have chosen those subsitutes for the hot dogs or Italian Sausage.  You may have gone hungry, because I may have just said Not Available.  Very glad the substitutions worked in your favor (free, food you would eat!!)

31 minutes ago, Glacier said:

I tried my hand at being a SHIPT Shopper for a little while part time.  I will say, when the requested items are not there, I always did my best to let the customer know and offer the substitutions.  However, since time is tracked, the shoppers could get penalized if they waited for responses too long.   If a customer never contacted me back, my best judgement would be would I want item B substituted for Item A.

I understand what you're saying entirely.  And Bev's willing to cut shoppers A LOT of slack.  (Personally, I know the frustrations I run into in trying to find certain items on the shelves, and this is a case where I'm reasonably familiar with both the item and the store.  I personally would find it shear torture to act as a shopper for someone else ... just acting as Bev's "Go For" in the grocery store has nearly brought us to blows :) ).

However, in this instance, Bev was particularly frustrated that the shopper never reached out by text for guidance on the substitution (or, perhaps, for assistance in locating the desired item).  Suffice it to say that this shopper needs extensive coaching before being let loose on someone's shopping list again.  Bev has fingers crossed that, among other purposes, the reason for documenting the erroneous items with a photo was to assist in that task.

3 hours ago, hdporter said:

just acting as Bev's "Go For" in the grocery store has nearly brought us to blows

Oh good heavens, there's more than one of us!  Why oh why can't my wife be specific when putting items on the grocery list?* 

Just today I was sent for a dozen or so items, one of which was Palmolive dish soap (we usually use Dawn).  Upon my return I was informed that she needed the clear Palmolive, in the large bottle, not the gold colored small bottle I had chosen.

Other examples from previous visits:

List says green beans and upon arriving home I'm told we need 3 cans.

List says spinach and when I return home she lets me know she prefers Del Monte over the Libby's I selected.  (And BTW, her preference for green beans is Libby's.)

List says sliced Swiss cheese.  The large package was on sale and upon returning home I was told we didn't need that much.

The list said "2 3 hamburger" and I selected a package that was about 2.6 pounds.  Turns out that evening's recipe called for 2/3's of a pound of hamburger meat.

I could go on for pages, but you get the gist.

*The best app on our phones has to be Our Groceries.  Anything I put on my list automagically lands on my wife's list and vice-versa.  If I notice we are low on eggs, I just put eggs on the list and if she is stopping by the store on the way home she grabs eggs.  If she realizes that we are low on paper towels, when she puts it on her list it shows up on mine, and when I put the paper towels in my cart and swipe them off the app's list, they are gone from her phone too.