Paid collections

JUPITER2928

On 3/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, 99leftbaloons said:

Understand, agree:  but the difference is that one has 'frozen' in the sense that there is nothing left to report on. When a mortgage is paid off, the reporting ends

I know I'm throwing lots of stuff against the wall, and really appreciate the input/feedback/comments.

Not always an accurate statement.  I had auto loans in the past that had some manner of periodic update after the note was burned.  A credit card updated once almost a decade after I had paid and closed the account.  Their act of doing so kept the account alive on the reports for another potential decade...

20 minutes ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Sent to collections 1/14/2017; debt buyer purchase date of 3/2/2017.
TU date of last activity:  2/19/2018
Experian date of last activity:  2/1/2022
Equifax date of last activity:  11/1/2016 (had prior loan w/same lender). So EQ seems to be 'mixing' the two loans

None of those dates are relevant to determining when the expirations window closes.

Last activity is just that- the last time something happened on the tradeline. 

The ONLY date that matters, for all practical purposes, is the date of first major delinquency immediately preceding the charge-off event.  THAT is what started the seven years and six months running...

2 hours ago, centex said:

None of those dates are relevant to determining when the expirations window closes.

Last activity is just that- the last time something happened on the tradeline. 

The ONLY date that matters, for all practical purposes, is the date of first major delinquency immediately preceding the charge-off event.  THAT is what started the seven years and six months running...

Thanks! I need to pull more than just the past 2 years for a CR as I'm not seeing my last payment date.

52 minutes ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Thanks! I need to pull more than just the past 2 years for a CR as I'm not seeing my last payment date.

Go to desk.  Open drawer with files from various accounts.  Review file. 

If you are not able to do that, then today would be a good day to start maintaining those files.  A consumer should ALWAYS have the records of an account such that they do not to rely on other entities for critical information.  This holds just as true for collections as it might for a warranty claim or the expiration of a promo rate.

1 hour ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Order paper reports from the big four

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/590506-ordering-paper-credit-reports-information-inside/&tab=comments#comment-5623246

IDS: https://www.innovis.com/personal/creditReport

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

Thanks! Will order paper reports. Received my Lexis Nexis & Innovis Reports last year; will reorder them. Also requesting a copy of Early Warning: https://www.earlywarning.com/consumer/

From the below:  If there is no Amount Past Due, how is the account still being reported as being in Collections/Charge Off (C/O)? And if it's being reported as a C/O, wouldn't that be the original lender since I paid off the debt buyer and the debt buyer was not a C/O?

Noticed the Equifax reporting is all messed up:  reporting Date Opened:  Mar 02, 2017 BUT Date of First Delinquency:  Nov 01, 2016. (Have had 2 accts. w/same lender:  first one paid off, so there seems to be a 'blend' of info. for the 2 accounts. First acct. was never delinquent.)

Amount Past Due:    $0
Date Reported:  Jan 26, 2022
Date of Last Activity:  blank
Scheduled Payment Amount:  blank
Months Reviewed:  1
Delinquency First Reported:  Jan 01, 2022 (so that does not jibe with the above. Again, seems to be a blending of the 2 accts.). Acct. was paid off 2/1/2018.

Edited by 99leftbaloons
Add

6 hours ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Sent to collections 1/14/2017; debt buyer purchase date of 3/2/2017.
TU date of last activity:  2/19/2018
Experian date of last activity:  2/1/2022
Equifax date of last activity:  11/1/2016 (had prior loan w/same lender). So EQ seems to be 'mixing' the two loans

The date of first delinquency determines the 7 year reporting period for a collection account.  That’s the date the account went into default and was never brought back to a current status.  The 7-years begins 180 days later.  The date of last activity is not the date of first delinquency.  

15 hours ago, 99leftbaloons said:

From the below:  If there is no Amount Past Due, how is the account still being reported as being in Collections/Charge Off (C/O)? And if it's being reported as a C/O, wouldn't that be the original lender since I paid off the debt buyer and the debt buyer was not a C/O?

A charge off or collection account type does not lose that account type just because the balance has been zero'ed out. 

16 hours ago, Bluesie58 said:

The date of first delinquency determines the 7 year reporting period for a collection account.  That’s the date the account went into default and was never brought back to a current status.  The 7-years begins 180 days later.  The date of last activity is not the date of first delinquency.  

Got it and understand. However, in this case, the first delinquency is being reported incorrectly - and it's the debt buyer who is reporting a delinquency, which doesn't seem correct as I was never delinquent w/the debt buyer. (@centex, understand about the reporting.) So shouldn't the first delinquency be with the original lender?

34 minutes ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Got it and understand. However, in this case, the first delinquency is being reported incorrectly - and it's the debt buyer who is reporting a delinquency, which doesn't seem correct as I was never delinquent w/the debt buyer. (@centex, understand about the reporting.) So shouldn't the first delinquency be with the original lender?

An entity is going to report the date they open the tradeline in their office.  That ALSO becomes the date they first reported.  However, that field has precisely nothing to do with the date of first major delinquency preceding the charge-off event. 

These sorts of confusions are especially common when people don't have paper reports to review...

1 hour ago, centex said:

An entity is going to report the date they open the tradeline in their office.  That ALSO becomes the date they first reported.  However, that field has precisely nothing to do with the date of first major delinquency preceding the charge-off event. 

These sorts of confusions are especially common when people don't have paper reports to review...

Got it...So this really, really disincentivizes one from paying a debt buyer. And here I thought I was doing the right thing for the family...

39 minutes ago, 99leftbaloons said:

Got it...So this really, really disincentivizes one from paying a debt buyer. And here I thought I was doing the right thing for the family...

Not really.  There is still an advantage to paying provided you negotiate a deletion with the payment.  This often requires one to be willing to use their phone. 

2 hours ago, centex said:

Not really.  There is still an advantage to paying provided you negotiate a deletion with the payment.  This often requires one to be willing to use their phone. 

So I was willing to use my phone:  debt buyer NCA doesn't delete for pay. I paid off the debt, it's on my report, but I'm still researching...