Best Grocery Card?

Journeyjeans

I found this link:  https://wallethub.com/best-credit-card-for-groceries  .  I'm thinking if you can find a card with 6% cashback on groceries, no annual fee or other requirements, then go for it.  That Amazon card listed isn't great, since the points (if you like points/I don't) are for Whole Foods purchases.  They don't call Whole Foods, "Whole Paycheck" for nothing.  I have a Target MasterCard, but I'm unsure if they still offer the MasterCard, or just the store card.  Either way, the card gets you 5% off purchases at Target, including groceries.  Target grocery stores don't have the large selections like a Ralph's, but if you can get much of your grocery shopping done there, it could be worth it.  

I vote for AmEx Gold, but only if you can make use of the Uber credits and dining credits. It would be 4X points on groceries and dining. BUT, you would definitely have to use those points on travel for it to be worthwhile. Otherwise the value is not good. The BCP is good, but the drawbacks are the $6k cap on groceries (which you will hit) and I think it only pays 1% on dining. You might also want to check out the Cap1 SavorOne card, which hits dining and groceries at 3% with no annual fee.

• 1 month later...

Thank you!  I will check out the Amex BCP, but I am concerned because I know I will hit that 6,000 max easily, especially now that I have a Newborn on the way (Yay!!!).  I will try to do the math and see what my actual rate of return percentage is when accounting for the $95 fee and the $9600 a year on groceries I spend.  

In addition to the Amex BCP, I would probably suggest you look into a Costco or BJ's membership - esp for diapers and non-perishables!  The Costco credit card from Citi has no annual fee (for executive members) and its 2% back on Costco purchases, 4% on gas and 3% on dining out. It's a good compliment. 

I was just going to post an update on my Gold Card experience. I've had it a couple of months now. I was skeptical of the value of the MR points, but I just used them on a couple of trips I have coming up. I need up sending 140k miles to Delta to pay for economy tickets from Austin to Rome and flying back through Barcelona in June. The cash price was about $1,700 per ticket. I redeemed 140k MR points, transferred them to Delta and bought them. The taxes were about $100 per ticket and there was about a $40 fee for transferring the points. I also have the Platinum card, so I got the cost of the taxes credited back to me through the airline fee credit. I ultimately got about 2.4 cents per point in value redeeming for these particular tickets. I probably could have gotten a better deal booking at a different time and further out, but this trip is a bit of a last minute thing, so I didn't mind using a few extra points that were free anyway. But in this scenario, I am getting 4X MR points on my dining/grocery. If you multiple that by my redemption, you get about 9.7% back on those categories, which the Blue Cash Preferred simply cannot match. I did redeem signup bonus points for this trip, but getting 4X on my biggest spending categories means my MR points balance will be back up again in no time.

On 3/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, PhoenixDown said:

In addition to the Amex BCP, I would probably suggest you look into a Costco or BJ's membership - esp for diapers and non-perishables!  The Costco credit card from Citi has no annual fee (for executive members) and its 2% back on Costco purchases, 4% on gas and 3% on dining out. It's a good compliment. 

I wish there was a Costco in Western New York!  There’s some BJ’s though, and I think a random Sam’s  Club too.  Thank you for the tips!!!!

18 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I was just going to post an update on my Gold Card experience. I've had it a couple of months now. I was skeptical of the value of the MR points, but I just used them on a couple of trips I have coming up. I need up sending 140k miles to Delta to pay for economy tickets from Austin to Rome and flying back through Barcelona in June. The cash price was about $1,700 per ticket. I redeemed 140k MR points, transferred them to Delta and bought them. The taxes were about $100 per ticket and there was about a $40 fee for transferring the points. I also have the Platinum card, so I got the cost of the taxes credited back to me through the airline fee credit. I ultimately got about 2.4 cents per point in value redeeming for these particular tickets. I probably could have gotten a better deal booking at a different time and further out, but this trip is a bit of a last minute thing, so I didn't mind using a few extra points that were free anyway. But in this scenario, I am getting 4X MR points on my dining/grocery. If you multiple that by my redemption, you get about 9.7% back on those categories, which the Blue Cash Preferred simply cannot match. I did redeem signup bonus points for this trip, but getting 4X on my biggest spending categories means my MR points balance will be back up again in no time.

That is impressive!