How would you sequence these 3 apps? 4 apps?

Sidewinder

For the past coupla months (while paying down balances) I have been aiming to apply for

1) car loan from BofA ($8K)

2) BNP Paribas BotW MC that I got a mailed pre-approval for

3) AmEx Everyday  (which I think is a mild stretch (but AmEx does love me :) ))

When I log on next week (once my $1,800 payment on my FNBO Visa reports on myFICO), in what order do you think I ought to submit these apps?

Second question:  If I want to go for the current Southwest promo (100K points!!) from Chase, where would that fit in to the sequence?

(In practice I might just zotz the AmEx app, in order to go through with Southwest. Boring Everyday card will always be there but this bonus offer will not.  Still though, I wanna hear everyone's thoughts on the scenarios.  :) )

4 hours ago, insolent1 said:

If you have few to no applications in the past two years, Chase is the logical choice as they are application sensitive in a 24 month period. The economics of an auto purchase are weighted against the typical buyer right now. AMEX? Ok. BNP? Did you get a genuine approval or an "invitation to apply"?

The letter from BNP said "You're Preapproved"  which I don't think is proper grammar as it was lacking an exclamation point.

I wasn't thinking about the Chase 5/24 rule; this is cutting it close since in the past 24 months I've gotten BofA Cash Rewards, Barclay's Aviator Red, FNBO Rewards, and Chase Freedom Flex.  Also it says you're not eligible for the bonus if you've gotten a similar bonus in the last 24 months but apparently that only refers to Southwest co-branded cards and not any ol' Chase cards:

"The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products"

6 hours ago, hdporter said:

This may be helpful ...

spacer.png

Take it for a "spin" [Tap pointer twice, after clicking link below}: 

https://tools-unite.com/tools/random-picker-wheel?inputs=BA_Car_Loan:1,BNP_Paribas_MC:1,Amex_Everyday:1,Chase_SW:2

Wheeeeeeeeee

1 hour ago, A Credit Ed said:

By zip code of submission address of the PO Box, how else?

All apps have to be online.

The Chase deal was advertised by email only, AmEx hasn't solicited me to app the Everyday card anyway, and the BNP offer didn't include a return address  : /

Edit: (Also, ZIP codes are always irrelevant.)

Edited by Sidewinder

I think the others have given good advice.

Chase first due to their sensitivity. Then I would go for the BNP card. Then the auto loan third. Then AmEx last because they don’t really care about new accounts or inquiries. Also, AmEx will likely use month old soft pull data anyway, so what you do probably won’t factor into their decision anyway.

Also; is the $8k auto loan a refinance? You might have better luck/a lower rate somewhere else. DCU or PenFed are good  choices. Inquiries rarely bump the needle on auto loan approvals/rates. At least that has been my experience. 

Chase will definitely be first; and given the importance of the BNP offer, I don't know whether I'll even go for the AmEx thing (I still haven't gotten in with PNC, BMO Harris, or Fifth Third and want to add at least one of those later in 2022, so maybe best not to add needless new accounts).

Experian has reported my $545 BofA mastercard payment though I've not yet seen a score bump from it.  I might not, since EX is already 753 for me and even if there is a score bump it's probably not going to be one on which my Chase approval could potentially hinge.  : /

No car loan for now, with Minnesota winter descending - terrible time to go car-shopping.  Good, I'll have six additional months' worth of debt reduction done when I really do apply.

Edited by Sidewinder

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

I figure the Chase SW promo popped to the top of the list today after reading on another source that the 100k bonus lapses next week ...

No.  It went to the top of the list when insolent1 reminded me of Chase's 5/24 thing.

10 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

No.  It went to the top of the list when insolent1 reminded me of Chase's 5/24 thing.

Got it ...

Now where was someone to remind me that in the middle of a mortgage application (in which I've been asked to essentially "iron clad" Bev's incentive compensation details), you don't kick off a meaningless credit inquiry??!

It came to my attention through a credit monitoring alert that my Best Buy account is now 6 mo old and still sitting with a ridiculous and near useless $2k CL.  I had a knee-jerk reaction that it was time to request a CLI (I asked for a bump to $8k), thinking they would warn me if a credit inquiry was needed  Nope ... Inquiry alerts started firing up within 30 seconds of submitting the request.

Guess I needed a modest reminder that I'm still an idiot at times!! ;)

< No real harm here.  Just need to reach out to DCU and assure them that I'm not trying to finance a $100k car, or something. >

4 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Approved for the Chase Southwest Airlines card; $13,000 limit.

Simply awesome!

I just discovered, upon a little reading, that SW points don't expire.  If we weren't locked down on credit apps (due to a pending mortgage app), I think I'd jump at this for both Bev and myself.

The transfer of the AARP card to Barclays essentially means I have a new slot open for a Chase card (in terms of "max exposure")

On 12/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, Sidewinder said:

Delta SkyMiles don't expire either.

The problem with SkyPesos is then you are stuck flying Delta and their less than stellar product.  I get that some people are sort of stuck with them due to being in a hub sort of like Houston is with United (which destroyed what used to be a good Continental product) or Dallas with the Southwest (Love Field) and American (D/FW) having a near monopoly.  But Delta is NOT an airline I would willingly choose to fly...making the SkyPeso even more useless.

1 hour ago, centex said:

The problem with SkyPesos is then you are stuck flying Delta and their less than stellar product.  I get that some people are sort of stuck with them due to being in a hub sort of like Houston is with United (which destroyed what used to be a good Continental product) or Dallas with the Southwest (Love Field) and American (D/FW) having a near monopoly.  But Delta is NOT an airline I would willingly choose to fly...making the SkyPeso even more useless.

I beg to differ... around the time of the merger I had about 900k lifetime miles with UA and after the CO management gutted the mileage plus program (making 1MM status a joke) I have stopped being blindly loyal and now book the best connection F seat regardless of airline. Of the big 3, Delta has been a lot better in domestic first than UA and Delta makes AA look like Spirit. That said, all 3 suck compared to many Asian airlines but are mostly better than most EU and BREXIT-based products.

I don't really value sky pesos but you're fooling yourself if you think UA or AA miles are a better commodity to covet. I suppose if someone is banking on FF programs for upgrades and free rides there is a difference.

Edited by hegemony

20 minutes ago, hegemony said:

I beg to differ... around the time of the merger I had about 900k lifetime miles with UA and after the CO management gutted the mileage plus program (making 1MM status a joke) I have stopped being blindly loyal and now book the best connection F seat regardless of airline. Of the big 3, Delta has been a lot better in domestic first than UA and Delta makes AA look like Spirit. That said, all 3 suck compared to many Asian airlines but are mostly better than most EU and BREXIT-based products.

I don't really value sky pesos but you're fooling yourself if you think UA or AA miles are a better commodity to covet. I suppose if someone is banking on FF programs for upgrades and free rides there is a difference.

I didn't say they were better to 'covet.'

For my purposes, Delta is NOT an option I consider viable.  Of course, just about anything out of the IAH A-gates isn't what I deem viable, which includes Delta, Spirit and American.  Sadly, United has a stranglehold on IAH.  And getting a nonstop out of AUS is almost an impossibility...there is a layover in Dallas or Houston on almost all of them.  But DL is even worse since so many of the routes had a lay-over in SLC or ATL.  That would be great if I were trying to bank miles, but when I fly, I just want to get to my destination.   

United rolled out the Polaris cabins and has included them in some of the flights to and from LAS, but they pared the schedule so much that I hate United for the flights out there.  Pre-pandemic, I loved that red-eye which left the D-gates around 1A and got into IAH around 530-6A, but when United made it almost impossible to get anything out later than 5P, United lost a lot of its functionality for me. 

Miles in general are only of use if you are going to have enough travel ON the metal to make redemption a viable option. 

Airline suckitude has only gotten worse through the pandemic...

Got approved for the BNP card just now (officially the Bank of the West Cash Back World Mastercard).

They gave me a $3,000 limit, which rates a Mighty Meh.

Though currently I don't know if this means they're a chintsy issuer, or if it's just that they/their systems were leery of me having already opened four new cards since June.

: /

Edited by Sidewinder

21 hours ago, centex said:

Miles in general are only of use if you are going to have enough travel ON the metal to make redemption a viable option. 

Airline suckitude has only gotten worse through the pandemic...

Totally agree. I have an AA card I keep for the free checked bag which pre-pandemic has more than paid for itself.  Otherwise it all depends on where I am going and when it will get there. 

• 1 year later...

Uh huh.

Uh huh.

So I submit my WF Active Cash application on 11/24 and it comes back (in today's mail) denied for one reason, "Number of revolving bankcard trades opened in the last 24 months"

Another 14 days, and these two would've dropped out of the 24-month zone.

Sigh.

Anyone know of a recon number for WF?

Is this your first time applying for a Wells Fargo credit card, or do you have other credit card accounts approved by them?

Bear in mind that some algorithmic decline decisions can't be overridden or overturned by credit analysts.