Question about Retail Gift Cards-Have you ever encountered this?

I have no experience with purchasing gift cards so I can't comment on the Nextdoor post below. As stated, this was posted on Nextdoor about a CVS gift card purchase. Does this happen that someone can purchase a gift card for say, $400 and it winds up only having $38 spend on it? If so, what are the recourses?

"CVS/Off the Rack Gift Card Fraud.

An earlier post about holiday gifts was a reminder that last year about this time, I paid $400 for a Visa gift card at our friendly, neighborhood Bird Rock CVS, and mailed it 2 days later in a USPS Priority envelope to Chicago for my sister. She tried to use it about a week later and there was only ~$38 on it…so she filed a claim. Keep in mind all the charges were from before she went to use it and were from San Diego stores, Vons, Home Depot, etc. The claims company refused to pay the claim and told her to claim through the post office. The USPS didn't see it as their problem since all the charges were from here. I had checked the back of the card before I bought it and nothing looked amiss, but it was an expensive lesson to not purchase gift cards off an unprotected rack."

The post doesn't make a lot of sense. I use gift cards a lot, as closing gifts for customers, and all cards I've dealt with are just a piece of plastic until there activated at the register. Could you imagine the theft if "unprotected Racks" were full of active cards.  

5 minutes ago, 8ball said:

The post doesn't make a lot of sense. I use gift cards a lot, as closing gifts for customers, and all cards I've dealt with are just a piece of plastic until there activated at the register. Could you imagine the theft if "unprotected Racks" were full of active cards.  

Interesting. If that were the case it sounds like an inside store job.

My wife works in the grocery business. They've had customers buy $500 visa gift cards. Activate right there at the register, at time of purchase, and the card is liquidated by fraudsters  before the customer has left the store.

Packaging doesn't look tampered or anything.

This issue is somewhat common with visa and mastercard gift cards. Other gift cards like Applebee's or Home Depot is rare.

The only problem I'm experiencing with a gift card is actually receiving it in the mail. I bought four new tires from Yokohama in April. After being informed I could receive a $60 Visa gift card I immediately uploaded all the required documentation to get the card. I still haven't received it. Yokohama tells me I have to deal with Visa Card Holder Services about a non-received gift card. They acknowledge me in their system and then issue me another one after declaring my non-received card as lost. So far I've called them twice and they have cancelled a card twice and reissued another one to be sent to me in the mail. Still haven't received anything. Not sure who I can talk to next because this is not working. That $60 gift card could be a week's worth of groceries.

This was a well discussed issue when M$ was in its heyday, but basically scammers would capture the card info and wait for activation.  Once activated they would drain the card leaving the purchaser holding the bag.  Remember most people buy these and give as gifts and they're not used right away, giving the scammer time to liquidate the card, and since their cost is $0 they don't need to time every one perfectly to make it profitable.

If you are buying a VGC, always check the package closely for any signs of tampering, rips, etc.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:43 AM, StarkRaven$ said:

The only problem I'm experiencing with a gift card is actually receiving it in the mail. I bought four new tires from Yokohama in April. After being informed I could receive a $60 Visa gift card I immediately uploaded all the required documentation to get the card. I still haven't received it. Yokohama tells me I have to deal with Visa Card Holder Services about a non-received gift card. They acknowledge me in their system and then issue me another one after declaring my non-received card as lost. So far I've called them twice and they have cancelled a card twice and reissued another one to be sent to me in the mail. Still haven't received anything. Not sure who I can talk to next because this is not working. That $60 gift card could be a week's worth of groceries.

Just got off the phone with a Yokohama Consumer Affairs manager and he is directly sending me the rebate $60 Visa gift card today via Fed Ex. He will not go through Visa Card Services but instead had extra loaded Rebate Visa cards in his desk for situations like mine. So, hopefully it arrives the end of the week.