What Was Out of Stock or Noticeably More Expensive for You This Week?

cv91915

Whoa, I'm catching up on bills and found a rather unpleasant surprise.

Our most recent natural gas bill is $200.65.  Neither of us was here for about half of November.  :lol: 

Last November's was $113.60.

The first day I would characterize as "cold" was Monday of this week, so this doesn't bode well for the next bill.

Edited by cv91915

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Whoa, I'm catching up on bills and found a rather unpleasant surprise.

Our most recent natural gas bill is $200.65.  Neither of us was here for about half of November.  :lol: 

Last November's was $113.60.

The first day I would characterize as "cold" was Monday of this week, so this doesn't bode well for the next bill.

If your water heater is gas, and it is unwrapped, I would HIGHLY recommend making sure you have some sort of an insulated wrap for it.  They CAN be a tremendous source of use if not fully protected. 

Other caveats apply like checking thermostats and pilot lights. 

But yeah...I expect a LOT of people getting sticker shock this winter...some easily avoided, some not so much...

46 minutes ago, centex said:

If your water heater is gas, and it is unwrapped, I would HIGHLY recommend making sure you have some sort of an insulated wrap for it.  They CAN be a tremendous source of use if not fully protected. 

Other caveats apply like checking thermostats and pilot lights. 

But yeah...I expect a LOT of people getting sticker shock this winter...some easily avoided, some not so much...

That's a good idea.

When I leave the place in CA vacant for a couple of weeks at a time, I always switch the water heater to vacation mode and that's made a big difference on the gas bill there on a percentage basis.  

I'll look at wraps... thank you.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Price history on the Prince & Spring coffee I've been buying from Boxed:

Dec 2020:  $8.99

Jun 2021:   $9.79

Dec 2021:  $9.99

So +11% in one year.

I feel your pain. Last year on Christmas day, Mrs. Vig and I made a day trip from CLT to GRO via Amtrak. Price was $63. This year it's $64.

Went by a local burger joint on the way home the other night...they were out of onion rings.  Now I get that they were likely frozen, drop in the fryer onion rings as opposed to cut and battered on site, but still...a burger joint running out of onion rings is on par with McDonalds being out of french fries.

14 hours ago, centex said:

Went by a local burger joint on the way home the other night...they were out of onion rings.  Now I get that they were likely frozen, drop in the fryer onion rings as opposed to cut and battered on site, but still...a burger joint running out of onion rings is on par with McDonalds being out of french fries.

Did you have the jalapeno poppers instead?  😛 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, cv91915 said:

I was in a grocery store I don't patronize very often the other day picking up a prescription for T, and chicken wings were $3.49 a pound, so I left them in the store.

Next day I was at the place I usually shop and they were $4.29 a pound. 

So I checked the family pack.  

$4.29 a pound.

I got my booster yesterday and there was an ALDI practically right next door, so I ducked in on my way home.

Also $3.49 a pound, but I decided it was worth $15.60 to stop the questions about when we're having chicken wings.

Side note, ALDI needs to recalibrate their defeatherer.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, hegemony said:

there was no bagged salad at the green acres local grocery but that was due to all of it being recalled due to poor, for-profit harvesting practices. I rarely buy the stuff anyway. I am lazy but no so lazy I can't cut up my own head of lettuce, endive, etc.

Lately I've been using shredded cabbage in a lot of "salad" places. It keeps longer, can be quick pickled, can be a slaw, and I almost never "need" salad mix for salad-type stuff. I don't think this would work for everyone, but I haven't bought salad in quite a while due to my torrid affair with red cabbage. 

In the more expensive category...gas. 

I used the same three stations going out to Vegas that I did just a few months ago.  About a dime more per gallon at the two Texas stations.  The one in Arizona was sixty cents a gallon higher than mid-August.  Coming home, I did find one marginally less in Kingman, but that was still about 30 cents a gallon higher than I paid in August. 

Sadly, it almost felt like a relief when I filled up outside of San Antonio and ONLY had to pay $3.239...

48 minutes ago, centex said:

In the more expensive category...gas. 

I used the same three stations going out to Vegas that I did just a few months ago.  About a dime more per gallon at the two Texas stations.  The one in Arizona was sixty cents a gallon higher than mid-August.  Coming home, I did find one marginally less in Kingman, but that was still about 30 cents a gallon higher than I paid in August. 

Sadly, it almost felt like a relief when I filled up outside of San Antonio and ONLY had to pay $3.239...

regular is within plus or minus 10 cents of 3$ here in green acres. Sadly I don't have anything other than a lawnmower that takes 87. Vegas prices vary a lot from area to area. I still don't find it cost effective to wait 25 minutes at Costco to save 4 cents a gallon.

5 minutes ago, hegemony said:

regular is within plus or minus 10 cents of 3$ here in green acres. Sadly I don't have anything other than a lawnmower that takes 87. Vegas prices vary a lot from area to area. I still don't find it cost effective to wait 25 minutes at Costco to save 4 cents a gallon.

Yeah, I avoided filling up in Nevada...on the August trip, that was when I saw a 4 on every grade...I still have tremors and flashbacks.  But I am with you about not wanting to wait in line over pennies...especially when I am on the road.