Abound Denies Membership for DW

Menta33

My DW applied for membership in the Abound Credit Union so she can apply for their gas credit card since they refuse to let me add any AUs.

They denied her application with the cryptic:

Unfortunately, we are unable to complete the account opening currently due to failing to meet our requirements for opening a new account. 

Could this be due to her frozen credit reports?  We lifted freeze for the moment, maybe they will retry?

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

How many ways and times do they need to tell you to FOAD before you go elsewhere?  :) 

Unless you spend more than $500 a month on gas, just get her one of these and only put gas on it:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/compare/savings-and-cash-back-credit-cards  

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!

I've had their card in my name for ten years now, always PIF each month, not sure why they hold a grudge so long and why they'd cast my bad name upon my wife's.

Edited by Menta33

5 hours ago, centex said:

And what did they tell her when she called to ask questions about what else she needed to do in order to obtain membership? 

That they were unable to share the reason why and she could try again with a new application.

I applied again after unfreezing, so we will see.

Seems like they are super concerned about fraud to the point of not revealing why they said no.

5 hours ago, Menta33 said:

That they were unable to share the reason why and she could try again with a new application.

I applied again after unfreezing, so we will see.

[b]Seems like they are super concerned about fraud to the point of not revealing why they said no.[/b]

Seems like maybe they have a right to be since you are trying to open an account for someone else.  Begs the question of who made the call to inquire about the rejections...if it was you, they have EVERY right not to discuss it with you.

Seems like maybe they have a right to be since you are trying to open an account for someone else.  Begs the question of who made the call to inquire about the rejections...if it was you, they have EVERY right not to discuss it with you.

My DW is the one applying, I used I in the royal sense (we are married).  She is the one who called and spoke to them, she is the one opening a new membership.

My DW is the one applying, I used I in the royal sense (we are married).  She is the one who called and spoke to them, she is the one opening a new membership.

Sounds like it is time for BOTH of you to go in person and sit down in front of an officer...CU's are not exactly noted for good web interfaces and if you, err she is inputting a non-numeric character in the account number (or vice versa) that COULD be the issue.  And if trying to coattail, it makes sense that they won't divulge information over the phone since spurned spouses have played that trick ALL too often to clean out the other soon to be ex...

Sounds like it is time for BOTH of you to go in person and sit down in front of an officer...CU's are not exactly noted for good web interfaces and if you, err she is inputting a non-numeric character in the account number (or vice versa) that COULD be the issue.  And if trying to coattail, it makes sense that they won't divulge information over the phone since spurned spouses have played that trick ALL too often to clean out the other soon to be ex...

Going in person is not practical, it would be about a six-hour airplane flight.  Only thing applied for thus far is share membership savings account.

Then quite honestly, it sounds like THIS small regional CU is not the place for you...apparently they aren't willing to put you in touch with an officer and you cannot get beyond the front line CSR.  NO banking entity is worth that level of nonsense.  Based upon their membership footprint, it seemed as though you were local...which could actually ALSO be the reason they won't approve your wife...she doesn't live in their footprint of operations. 

Then quite honestly, it sounds like THIS small regional CU is not the place for you...apparently they aren't willing to put you in touch with an officer and you cannot get beyond the front line CSR.  NO banking entity is worth that level of nonsense.  Based upon their membership footprint, it seemed as though you were local...which could actually ALSO be the reason they won't approve your wife...she doesn't live in their footprint of operations. 

But the field of membership includes household members of existing credit union members.  So, since I'm a member, she should be able to join.

My guess is it really is just the credit freeze, not sure why they don't want to divulge that.

But the field of membership includes household members of existing credit union members.  So, since I'm a member, she should be able to join.

My guess is it really is just the credit freeze, not sure why they don't want to divulge that.

You and everyone in a 20-mile radius could have been approved for a Citi Custom Cash card by now.  

Yes, aware of that one, but it requires your own paid membership at Amazon and not riding along for free with another member.

Here is another example of an Abound card perk, 7% off outdoor activities (last summer):

Earn with these outdoor activities:

• Zoos and Aquariums
  • Amusement Parks
  • Sporting Goods
  • Bicycle Shops
  • Golf Courses
  • Sporting & Recreational Campgrounds
  • RV Parks & Campgrounds
Edited by Menta33

Here is another example of an Abound card perk, 7% off outdoor activities (last summer):

Earn with these outdoor activities:

• Zoos and Aquariums
  • Amusement Parks
  • Sporting Goods
  • Bicycle Shops
  • Golf Courses
  • Sporting & Recreational Campgrounds
  • RV Parks & Campgrounds

Before that it was:

5% off all restaurant purchases including DoorDash, Grubhub, Uber Eats and Postmates. Limited time offer January 1 - March 31 2021

So another perk of this Abound card is they run promotions.  Current one is 5% off all Amazon purchases through December 31.

Basic Chase cards have that same sort of promo...and the outdoor activities...how many of those are you REALLY using, especially considering that it is not unique to the card. 

You are reaching for reasons to stay with a sub-par CU instead of focusing on the actual world of meaningful rewards.  Why, I have NO idea...

Basic Chase cards have that same sort of promo...and the outdoor activities...how many of those are you REALLY using, especially considering that it is not unique to the card. 

You are reaching for reasons to stay with a sub-par CU instead of focusing on the actual world of meaningful rewards.  Why, I have NO idea...

I am a collector of credit unions and appreciate each of their unique facets.

I am a collector of credit unions and appreciate each of their unique facets.

Then just say that is why you want a CU, but don't make excuses for crappy 'perks' that can be bettered elsewhere...very few likely ever looked at JUST how many CU's are in their local surroundings.  Some have cool logos, some have membership bases that are incredibly small (I was once in a lesbian-owned and operated CU where, at one time, I had a double-digit percentage of the overall asset base)...some have really cool affinity credit cards but the rewards STILL suck.   

Does Chase blacklist for being burned in a BK?

Edited by Menta33

13 hours ago, Menta33 said:

It is a feature specifically offered by Amazon to share your prime membership.

:)  <--  That was supposed to tell you something about my comment.

I'm not the primary on our Amazon account either, my spouse is.  I'm an AU on our Chase Amazon (Whole Foods, actually) card.