USAA : [emoji90] Alert

Nothing is forever, they say. I used to think USAA walked on water, but now they have turned into a huge pile of .

It started about a month ago when they pretended to revamp their website and make what they delusionally termed improvements. In the process they hid the function to manage your external accounts. Sure, you could make transfers, but to add, remove or modify an external account you were SOL. Even their CSRs couldn't find it.

Not that you could even reach a CSR. USAA was always good at having extremely low hold times, usually under a minute. With their website fiasco, millions of people were calling in and hold times were 3 hours. Yes, 3 fooking hours! It took them a week to pull their heads out of their butts and fix things.

But it gets better.

USAA has gone all Stalin on their KYC process. They sent out a mandatory "survey" to all account holders and failure to answer promptly resulted in account restrictions. The big problem, though, was the questions they asked on the survey. They asked about family size, projections on all types of spending and bank function usage (Zelle, wires, transfers) and your budget and total income. Then they asked for your NET worth.

Many members were upset at how intrusive the questions were and complained, but USAA just replied with their usual jumbo-jumbo . I completed the survey without issues. I thought.

Seems that now USAA equates NET worth with income. Let's say that you indicated a NET worth of $1m. You have $1/2m in various banking and investment accounts because you've saved money over the years and because you bought a house years ago that has quadrupled in value. Well, USAA now says you've indicated a $1m annual income and wants tax returns within a week or face account closure. Can't those Neanderthals read or do simple math?

Needs less to say, I know several dozen now that are extremely upset with USAA and are jumping ship. I think I will also jump because sooner or later they will try the same crap with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, it's sad, but you have to stay nimble and move on when need be. I think we've all had this disappointment. 

You are right. Nothing lasts forever except VD.

I don't think USAA should be using the pretext of KYC to accumulate a lot of unnecessary data that they will probably ultimately lose in a data breach down the line.

USAA is overrated IMHO. But then I have no problem sharing financial information with the firms I bank with. Chase has access to all my retirement, savings, and investment balances and activity, most of which is help by vanguard, fidelity, TIAA, etc.

That’s interesting. I have been asked similar questions when opening a new checking account recently (mainly at credit unions), but I haven’t ever gotten the net worth question. The only place asking me that (essentially) is American Express. I do get the money transfers, international wires, etc. ones frequently though. They ask more of these questions when you open a business bank account than when you open a personal account. 

19 hours ago, hegemony said:

USAA is overrated IMHO. But then I have no problem sharing financial information with the firms I bank with. Chase has access to all my retirement, savings, and investment balances and activity, most of which is help by vanguard, fidelity, TIAA, etc.

Agree with this on USAA.  Banking/credit products are subpar.  The couple of times I have quoted insurance from them they have been non-competitive, for both myself and my parents.  

I know Pot has mentioned some conveniences they offered, but none were ever of use to me.

Interesting. I've received no such notice from USAA, by mail or electronic message. 

You were never subject to their mandatory survey?

On 10/27/2021 at 4:33 AM, insolent1 said:

Interesting. I've received no such notice from USAA, by mail or electronic message. 

Me 2. Do I need to go searching my spam folder for such a message?

I doubt they'll shoot me for not doing the survey, if I do get such a notice. USAA isn't anything I rely on. I joined just before they stopped offering limited memberships to anyone.  I'll be on the lookout for the dopey survey.

Me 2. Do I need to go searching my spam folder for such a message?

I doubt they'll shoot me for not doing the survey, if I do get such a notice. USAA isn't anything I rely on. I joined just before they stopped offering limited memberships to anyone.  I'll be on the lookout for the dopey survey.

There is no e-mail involved. It's a pop-up message when you log into USAA's website or mobile app.

They will not shoot you. The will, however, prohibit online access and eventually close all your accounts should you be presented with the survey and fail to respond.

The USAA Community is full of posts on the issue.

A little background ...

USAA was recently slammed with a $85,000,000 fine by the OCC for lax regulatory practices and, primarily, for illegally fooking over military personnel on deployment.

As a result of that $85,000,000 kick to the golf balls, USAA went to the opposite extreme -- complete Gestapo. They hired new personnel to form what they call their MOET Team and so far they have demanded complete financials from over 5,000 USAA checking / savings account holders.

I was talking with a colleague of mine and they stated that over 100 people in their unit received demands for financials and so far 60 have told USAA to FOAD and proactively closed their accounts.

Another colleague stationed in Guam told me how he has just enforced his own $100,000 "fine" on USAA for being turds. After listening to his method of attack, I haven't been able to sleep well for the past 4 days. I repeatedly keep waking up LMFAO.

I've been a USAA customer just about all my adult life, and I've not had any of the issues you report, no survey, no site changes, etc.

Reading is a fundamental skill. Perhaps you didn't understand the letter USAA published to members and / or the announcement by the OCC about the $85,000,000 penalty.

And obviously you didn't read the multitude of posts and comments on the USAA Community Forums.

You may never get the survey. I hear they don't target people on food stamps.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:46 AM, PotO said:

You are right. Nothing lasts forever except VD.

Toss a positive test for Hep-A exposure in there.  25 years ago I disregarded the advice of "don't drink the water" in a certain country.   (Bev was more prudent.)

Toss a positive test for Hep-A exposure in there.  25 years ago I disregarded the advice of "don't drink the water" in a certain country.   (Bev was more prudent.)

Wives tend to be.

17 hours ago, PotO said:

Wives tend to be. emoji28.png

One day I'll deign to embarrass myself here by relating the story of us ocean kayaking in Hawaii and, finding ourselves surrounded by a pod of dolphins, I had a strong inclination to dive in and swim with them ... her admonition was, "Don't get out of the boat, Harry ...". 

< this didn't end well, although it's debatable for whom this incident wound up being the greater embarrassment >

One day I'll deign to embarrass myself here by relating the story of us ocean kayaking in Hawaii and, finding ourselves surrounded by a pod of dolphins, I had a strong inclination to dive in and swim with them ... her admonition was, "Don't get out of the boat, Harry ...". 

On one hand, I'd probably think dolphins are cool and cuddly and want to get into the water with them.

But ...

That was before I spent a tour in a Naval ship. On swim call, we have spotters scouring the area to alert dangers approaching the area and also to ensure swimmers are above water. I thought they were only concerned with sharks or other weird creatures, but I was wrong.

During an indoc session, it was explained that dolphins are the prime danger. Yes, dolphins. Contrary to what we see at SeaWorld, in the wild dolphins are aggressive and known to kill even sharks. Just a little nip and they can snap your bones. They also tend to push those near them deeper and deeper into the ocean from which the only way you escape is by eventually floating to the surface face down.

Then there is the issue of bacteria. Dolphins can transmit disease that cause serious issues inn humans.

Listen to Bev! If you want to swim with dolphins, go to SeaWorld.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, PotO said:

During an indoc session, it was explained that dolphins are the prime danger. Yes, dolphins. Contrary to what we see at SeaWorld, in the wild dolphins are aggressive and known to kill even sharks. Just a little nip and they can snap your bones. They also tend to push those near them deeper and deeper into the ocean from which the only way you escape is by eventually floating to the surface face down.

Then there is the issue of bacteria. Dolphins can transmit disease that cause serious issues inn humans.

Listen to Bev! If you want to swim with dolphins, go to SeaWorld.

What I'll share here is that, as things turned out, I never was at risk of disease or infection ... the pod of dolphins, who were avidly swimming along side were evidently hoping for lunch in the form of a handout of tuna, sardines, or whatever.  When I jumped into the water, barren of gifts, en masse they went looking for better feeding grounds, leaving me crestfallen and disappointed.

Perhaps I'll share what followed some other time, but suffice it to say it was an absolute farce (in 100' deep water)!

What I'll share here is that, as things turned out, I never was at risk of disease or infection ... the pod of dolphins, who were avidly swimming along side were evidently hoping for lunch in the form of a handout of tuna, sardines, or whatever.  When I jumped into the water, barren of gifts, en masse they went looking for better feeding grounds, leaving me crestfallen and disappointed.

Perhaps I'll share what followed some other time, but suffice it to say it was an absolute farce (in 100' deep water)!

Lesson leaned: Leave the love & affection to Bev.

You dodged a bullet. Perhaps where you were the dolphins were accustomed to people, but in other locations dolphins are deceptively very dangerous. Cute and adorable, but dangerous.

• Admin
3 hours ago, SecretAgentWoman said:

Well aren't you the charmer. I'll miss you so deeply as a fellow member, I just may vomit.

He does shit like that on purpose. Consider the vile source.

He does *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity* like that on purpose. Consider the vile source.

If someone has never seen the site changes at USAA there are *only* three possibilities:

1. Dishonesty;
2. Cognitive issues;
3. Vision problems.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, PotO said:

Lesson leaned: Leave the love & affection to Bev.

You dodged a bullet. Perhaps where you were the dolphins were accustomed to people, but in other locations dolphins are deceptively very dangerous. Cute and adorable, but dangerous.

I went on a dolphin encounter in the Bahamas. A bottlenose dolphin launched me accross the lagoon with its nose on the soles of my feet. It was invigorating an exciting. Once we all got back to the dock there was a bottlenose dolphin right next to me in the water. I was cautioned to spread out away from the mammal. Their tails are so strong if it decided to turn around and swim its tail could cause massive damage. Oh, and we were warned not to accidentially touch them in their erogenous zone.

I went on a dolphin encounter in the Bahamas. A bottlenose dolphin launched me accross the lagoon with its nose on the soles of my feet. It was invigorating an exciting. Once we all got back to the dock there was a bottlenose dolphin right next to me in the water. I was cautioned to spread out away from the mammal. Their tails are so strong if it decided to turn around and swim its tail could cause massive damage. Oh, and we were warned not to accidentially touch them in their erogenous zone.

Definitely dolphin experiences like that can be very exhilarating. In those situations the dolphins are accustomed and trained to interact with humans.

When you get into the open sea and encounter dolphins in the wild, the situation changes dramatically. I never would have even guessed, but dolphins can easily kill sharks. If they decide to just give you a nip, it can easily break your bones. Their tails are also very powerful weapons.

Larger dolphins eat seals and, amazingly, whales! Dolphins are known to encircle its prey and swim around them in tight circles forcing their prey to the depths of the sea where they ultimately kill and devour them.

I used to think dolphins were cute, fun, friendly and even cuddly creatures until I spent a year at sea on an aircraft carrier. Any time there was swim call, we had to have mandatory observer and security staff on duty. I always thought it was because of sharks and / or poor swimmers, but when talking with the ship CO and XO, they told me that the biggest risk in certain areas is dolphins. They've been known to team-tag inobservant sailors and push them to down to Davey Jones' locker. That is a horrendous way to meet your fate.

Even if somehow you manage to escape, dolphins in the wild have a certain kind of natural bacteria that if you get it in your eyes will cause blindness and / or respiratory disease.

The dolphins you get at places like SeaWorld are ok. They are trained to interact with humans. Hunger is a powerful motivator. And the chlorine in the pools at SeaWorld destroy the natural bacteria that dolphins normally carry. But out at sea in the wild? No freaking way! Even sharks are less dangerous.