My credit attack thread

pwd847

First of all, this isn't for me, it's actually for my girlfriend.

Have all 3 paper reports in hand.  They are VEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY long.  There are multiple positive reporting accounts, and multiple negative reporting accounts.  There is a recent BK.

Due to the length of these reports, I'm having a very hard time understanding everything in them.  I'm just starting out with some accounts that look familiar to me.

3 questions:

BK shows up with the address of one court on two of the reports.  The third report shows a completely different address (different county in IL).  Should we go pull the court records first to see what is correct, or just send out "I don't recognize" disputes?  Also the attorney name is misspelled on one or two of them.

A somewhat recent auto loan(Tidewater Credit) that ocurred after the BK shows as charged off.  We traded in the vehicle to a dealer and the dealer was supposed to pay off the loan.  Should we call Tidewater and ask what the deal is?  I'm not sure if we want to identify ourselves to them, although since it's supposedly charged off I don't think it would hurt.

I know that deleting addresses up front before disputing can sometimes be helpful.  She has numerous positive, and negative accounts attached to these old addresses.  My thought is, if we remove the old addresses and that leads to positive and negative accounts being removed, who cares?  She already has a BK, and some positive accounts linked to our last 2 addresses that won't disappear.  Should we just clean out her old addresses?

Thanks

You have a couple of things going on that you KNOW the answers to, including the one that clearly went ignored for a period of time.

BK info typically is pulled from one of the conventional outlets, either Hogan, PACER, or LN.  What shows on those? 

You KNOW the BK was filed and WHERE it was filed.  Don't play games.  Go for the heart of the issue, but realize that deletion is not as likely as a correction. 

The post-BK auto would have included notices of a delinquency.  Accounts don't just go current --> charged off.  There were calls and letters that were ignored.  You don't indicate what amount allegedly charged off or what the dealer was paying off, but the difference in payoff amounts can change significantly on some notes in just a matter of days, especially if the third-party (dealership) did not timely send the necessary amount in.  Going forward, however, a delinquency so soon after a BK IS a red flag for other lenders.  Don't play the 'not identifying' game as that is just stupid.  You either want to get resolution or you don't.  It IS that simple. 

An address associated with a positive account is not one you would expect to see removed...and be aware of the law of unintended consequence if the positive accounts fell off as a by-product of the dispute.  That will hurt the score...which defeats the purpose. 

6 hours ago, centex said:

BK info typically is pulled from one of the conventional outlets, either Hogan, PACER, or LN.  What shows on those? 

What is HOGAN?

but realize that deletion is not as likely as a correction.

Yes, very aware of this.  We just want things to be correct.

The post-BK auto would have included notices of a delinquency.  Accounts don't just go current --> charged off.  There were calls and letters that were ignored.

We went back through some old mail, and can't find any notices.  She never received any phone calls.

You don't indicate what amount allegedly charged off or what the dealer was paying off, but the difference in payoff amounts can change significantly on some notes in just a matter of days, especially if the third-party (dealership) did not timely send the necessary amount in.

There is almost no information like this is the TL.  I looked for charge off amount.  Also, yesterday I noticed on 1 of 3 reports, it is a positive TL.  We will contact Tidewater today, and probably dispute as a next step.

An address associated with a positive account is not one you would expect to see removed...and be aware of the law of unintended consequence if the positive accounts fell off as a by-product of the dispute.  That will hurt the score...which defeats the purpose.

Yes aware of this as well.  I was just curious if she already has a recent BK, would it even hurt her that much if she lost a few positive TL's?  Keep in mind she has plenty of other positive TL's left over, and the BK will be around for a long time.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  I think I know how to move forward for these first couple of steps. 

So we actually don't know where the BK hearing was held, since it was during covid it was all over the phone.  Pulled the paperwork we have and the location isn't listed anywhere.  Called the attorney and got that info.  Will dispute this via mail later today.

Tidewater Motor Credit says account is in good standing.  They are looking into the misreporting issue.  Plan on doing an online dispute with CRA's later today just in case Tidewater doesn't do anything about it.

I found out there are some medical charge off accounts so I'll pause on this thread and start WhyChat's process after these issues are confirmed closed.

Edited by pwd847

5 hours ago, pwd847 said:

So we actually don't know where the BK hearing was held, since it was during covid it was all over the phone.  Pulled the paperwork we have and the location isn't listed anywhere.  Called the attorney and got that info.  Will dispute this via mail later today.

Tidewater Motor Credit says account is in good standing.  They are looking into the misreporting issue.  Plan on doing an online dispute with CRA's later today just in case Tidewater doesn't do anything about it.

I found out there are some medical charge off accounts so I'll pause on this thread and start WhyChat's process after these issues are confirmed closed.

BK court and magistrate are easily located on PACER. 

Why would you ignore guidance from so many threads to let a company work things through instead of screwing it up with an online dispute WHILE they are working with you.  Setting aside that online disputes are the worst way to do things, it will almost be guaranteed to cement the current reporting.  You claim to have something going WITH the company, so let that process conclude.  Only THEN should you contemplate a well-WRITTEN and tailored dispute to the bureaus in question...