My 2015 F-150 Lariat with 148,000 miles decided to give me a wrench light recently and the engine shut off. After consulting with a couple reputable mechanics, none of which work for dealerships, and after some googling I found this was a sensor array in the transmission. This part is only available from Ford, and currently is on a 6 month minimum backorder. I managed to use an OBD scanner and time a code clearing sequence with pushing the start button and get it running again.

A local used car store had a 2018 Taurus Limited with just shy of 60K miles. I did some research on KBB and NADA and found the truck was worth anywhere from 19K to 21K on dealer trade. I about fell out of my chair. These are crazy times when a 6 year old truck with almost 150K miles would be worth more than 10K much less 20K. I set my plan in motion to see if I really could get this deal done with no money exchanging hands.

The sales manager looked at my trade, and asked "you're wanting to do an even trade" "Yep" ... goes back in his office and crunches some numbers... "You have the title?" "Yep" "Alright we can do this". I figured it would be even trade for the vehicles, but I'd still have to pay a couple hundred in doc fees and schtuff like that. F&I guy hands me the sales order with zero net cash at the bottom. No doc fees, no BS fees. Sign the papers and the back of the truck's title and hand it over. I was handed the completed title app forms and all the bill of sale forms, and a set of keys.

Three years newer vehicle, almsot 90K less miles on the clock, and no payments. WIN!!

17 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Three years newer vehicle, almsot 90K less miles on the clock, and no payments. WIN!!

How much manure or mulch can you carry in that Taurus? 

Oh wait...it was a Lariat.  It never worked a day in its life ;)

18 hours ago, centex said:

How much manure or mulch can you carry in that Taurus? 

Oh wait...it was a Lariat.  It never worked a day in its life ;)

About four 50-lb bags in the trunk.

Has a massive trunk, almost reminiscent of the Po Po Crown Vics. Then again Indianapolis Metro fleet is about 2/3rds Taurus and 1/3 Dodge Charger currently. Oddly enough the Tahoes and Explorers haven't made their way into the Metro fleet unlike suburban areas which are all SUVs now.

And yes why ding up a Lariat or King Ranch when an XL can get dirty and dented and nobody would notice?