Bank o' the West BNP Paribas Cash Back World MasterCard preapproval

Well here's one I didn't see coming.

I, got some mail today stating that I, Sidey-baby, have been pre-approved for ... well, the Bank of the West BNP Paribas Cash Back World Mastercard.

I used to live in California where Bank of the West offers retail consumer banking.  I'm surprised to see them offering credit cards outside of (what I thought I knew to be) their retail footprint.  I also didn't think they were a Underwriter, I thought that list was limited to the Big Four, US Bank, BMO, 5/3, Key, Regions, PNC, TD, and SunTrust.  And Barclay's.  and FNBO.

The card isn't doing much to entice me (other than by being a new-to-me underwriter), with the exception of a steady 3% cash back on gasoline.  I already get 3% on groceries from AmEx BCE and am in month #3 of 12 months of 5% cash back on groceries from Freedom Flex, but for gas... not much.

Fifteen months 0% on purchases.  It also offers a 15 month BT but I found some fine print that struck me as interesting and maybe odd:  

After the balance transfer has posted to your account, you will also no longer have a grace period on any Purchases you make when using your credit card and we will charge interest on the Purchases on the transaction date.

So a potential applicant whom they can see has $32K in available lines from AmEx,  $36K from Chase, $21K from BofA, $11.3K from FNBO and $12.6K from Barclay's Aviator Red is someone who they think they're going to woo by offering the CreditOne treatment?

OK, so the CreditOne-style interest thing only kicks in if I take them up on their BT offer but is that a strange arrangement, or what?

Also - this part really wasn't made clear in any of the fine print - does BNP Paribas/BOTW actually underwrite this card, or is it a third party (whose identity will only be disclosed after I click "Apply," I'm sure...

I have a Bank of the West any deposit free checking account and a credit card. I'm fairly certain they issue the card. If not, they should get an Academy Award for hiding who does. I pay the card by transferring money from my BoTW checking to the credit card in their online banking site.

Edited by Burgerwars
On 10/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, Sidewinder said:

Fifteen months 0% on purchases.  It also offers a 15 month BT but I found some fine print that struck me as interesting and maybe odd:  

After the balance transfer has posted to your account, you will also no longer have a grace period on any Purchases you make when using your credit card and we will charge interest on the Purchases on the transaction date.

So a potential applicant whom they can see has $32K in available lines from AmEx,  $36K from Chase, $21K from BofA, $11.3K from FNBO and $12.6K from Barclay's Aviator Red is someone who they think they're going to woo by offering the CreditOne treatment?

I sometimes wonder if you're like that gal played by Drew Barrymore, whose character wakes up with amnesia re anything in the past each and every day ...

Loss of your purchase grace period when you carry a balance transfer is a fact of life with almost every issuer.  The only exception of which I'm aware is Barclays.  This is why the general advice is to never run a purchase through a balance transfer card.  Most issuers reserve the right to apply only the respective minimum payment associated with a purchase balance to that balance, and that the residual of any payment will apply to your lowest rate balances first, making it near impossible to repay the interest incurring balance until you're paid the bt off in full first.

That's ok, SW, I love you and I'll be here to remind you tomorrow ... ;)

Now with the NASA FCU offer in the mail and the other thread about American Heritage FCU, I seem to be learning that my Master List O' Underwriters is badly in need of updating (that's assuming that NASA and AH actually do their own underwriting).

10 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Now with the NASA FCU offer in the mail and the other thread about American Heritage FCU, I seem to be learning that my Master List O' Underwriters is badly in need of updating (that's assuming that NASA and AH actually do their own underwriting).

NASA did their own underwriting when I go the card some months back...but the rewards make it a POS, especially when they want everything but a stool sample for approval.  Card looks decent but it gets little use...