Union Pay like JCB?

I had one of the late, great USA JCB cards, which supposedly cleared on the Discovery network.  But it was very spotty - when it worked I was a rock star; when it didn't I was a deadbeat. There was no in-between. 

So I'm trying to figure out what is going on with Union Pay. I've read through what I  think is the main Union Pay thread, without much illumination, except that it seems things have changed from the thread origination in 2016 until today.

Is there now a USA Union Pay card that you can apply for online? Is it restricted to certain states like the old USA JCB was? Can you use it in the USA - what network does it clear on and what is the acceptance rate?

Any answers or pointers to the right direction would be appreciated. 

14 hours ago, racer7949 said:

I had one of the late, great USA JCB cards, which supposedly cleared on the Discovery network.  But it was very spotty - when it worked I was a rock star; when it didn't I was a deadbeat. There was no in-between. 

So I'm trying to figure out what is going on with Union Pay. I've read through what I  think is the main Union Pay thread, without much illumination, except that it seems things have changed from the thread origination in 2016 until today.

Is there now a USA Union Pay card that you can apply for online? Is it restricted to certain states like the old USA JCB was? Can you use it in the USA - what network does it clear on and what is the acceptance rate?

ICBC USA offers UnionPay. I have one, just because it is there. My JCB card was closed a while ago when they stopped offering U.S. accounts.

I got my UnionPay card when ICBC briefly offered online applications. Now, I believe, you need to be a checking or savings account customer before you can apply. It wasn't the case when I applied, but I opened a checking account afterwards. I did that at their Chinatown branch in San Francisco. I live in the L.A..area, but didn't feel like driving to the branch, which is a distance from me, so I stopped by the Chinatown branch when I was in San Francisco.

I'm unsure if you can open a checking account without going to an ICBC branch. There aren't many in the U.S.

Edited by Burgerwars

About applying for ICBC UnionPay. I found this in an email they recently sent me. If you can't get the card, don't worry about it.  Your Visa or MasterCard will work just fine. No problems for me when I visited Shanghai and Hong Kong.

3 Ways to Apply!
通过以下3种方法进行申请!

1.Email us at Cardinfo@icbc-us.com and indicate which product (Preferred or Premier) you’d like to apply.  Cardinfo@icbc-us.com 

2.Call us at 212-238-8300 Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Eastern Time (except public holidays) and speak to a representative to apply. 212-238-8300

3.Visit any of ICBC USA branches, click here for branch address and contacts.

Important! Only U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible to apply, applicants are required to open ICBC USA Checking or Savings account. We may ask you to provide copy of ID and/or other supporting documents during application process.

Edited by Burgerwars
About applying for ICBC UnionPay. I found this in an email they recently sent me. If you can't get the card, don't worry about it.  Your Visa or MasterCard will work just fine. No problems for me when I visited Shanghai and Hong Kong.

3 Ways to Apply! 通过以下3种方法进行申请!
  1.Email us at Cardinfo@icbc-us.com and indicate which product (Preferred or Premier) you’d like to apply.  Cardinfo@icbc-us.com 
  2.Call us at 212-238-8300 Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Eastern Time (except public holidays) and speak to a representative to apply. 212-238-8300
  3.Visit any of ICBC USA branches, click here for branch address and contacts.
  Important! Only U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible to apply, applicants are required to open ICBC USA Checking or Savings account. We may ask you to provide copy of ID and/or other supporting documents during application process.   Website:  https://www.icbc-us.com

In Hong Kong almost everywhere accepts Visa and MasterCard. In Shanghai perhaps the places you went to would, but the vast majority of places will not. In Beijing, very few places indeed will. In fact, there are more and more places that will not accept any plastic at all unless it is via your WeChat or AliPay app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ICBC USA offers UnionPay. I have one, just because it is there. My JCB card was closed a while ago when they stopped offering U.S. accounts.

I got my UnionPay card when ICBC briefly offered online applications. Now, I believe, you need to be a checking or savings account customer before you can apply. It wasn't the case when I applied, but I opened a checking account afterwards. I did that at their Chinatown branch in San Francisco. I live in the L.A..area, but didn't feel like driving to the branch, which is a distance from me, so I stopped by the Chinatown branch when I was in San Francisco.
I'm unsure if you can open a checking account without going to an ICBC branch. There aren't many in the U.S.

I don't have a checking or savings, but have two of their cards -- the Visa and the UnionPay.

They don't enforce the checking account rule all the time.

Only ICBC USA offers a UnionPay card for now.

The UP card clears generally over the Discovery network, but UP themselves are making some headway entering the US market.

The disadvantage is that the maximum exposure is $30k per customer. Another is that even though it does generally clear on the Discovery network, you still cannot use it in all situations. For example, you can use it on Amazon.com, but cannot use it there to buy gift cards. Also, there are many merchants, especially online, that will not accept it because their system isn't set up to recognize the card numbers.

6 hours ago, PotO said:

Only ICBC USA offers a UnionPay card for now.

The UP card clears generally over the Discovery network, but UP themselves are making some headway entering the US market.

The disadvantage is that the maximum exposure is $30k per customer. Another is that even though it does generally clear on the Discovery network, you still cannot use it in all situations. For example, you can use it on Amazon.com, but cannot use it there to buy gift cards. Also, there are many merchants, especially online, that will not accept it because their system isn't set up to recognize the card numbers.

Thanks. When I've been to China I've traveled as a tourist. If MasterCard/Visa isn't accepted where you're going, ICBC ATMs (and other ATMs in China) did accept my plain old U.S. Visa/MasterCard debit cards to get cash. It's advisable to tell your bank(s) in advance if you're doing some foreign travel so they don't deny your transactions.

The U.S. UnionPay card does work in the U.S., but it's kind of quirky, so don't only carry that card. Start with inserting it in the chip reader. Often when I do that, I'm told to swipe the card, but I can't swipe first. A PIN may or may not be asked for.

17 hours ago, racer7949 said:

I never had an issue with my JCB card and only twice has UnionPay not work at POS and both times the problem was me.

UnionPay ICBC  card is open to new apps. The online management system looks like it is from a 1997 AOL newsgroup and the rewards credit each statement and I usually end up with a negative balance because of the rewards lag. All in all mine has been good for >$1000 cash back per year with its promos alone.

I never had an issue with my JCB card and only twice has UnionPay not work at POS and both times the problem was me.

UnionPay ICBC  card is open to new apps. The online management system looks like it is from a 1997 AOL newsgroup and the rewards credit each statement and I usually end up with a negative balance because of the rewards lag. All in all mine has been good for >$1000 cash back per year with its promos alone.

I heard those hookers down on The Strip were accepting UnionPay. Thanks for the confirmation.