Federal Intervention on Medical Balance Billing

Insurers score a win in new rule to protect patients from ‘surprise’ medical bills (msn.com)

"While all eyes were on Congress, the current administration handed insurers a victory in a much-anticipated rule detailing how to shield patients from pricey, unexpected medical bills. When they unknowingly get care from a doctor out of their coverage network or in emergency situations, where they can be sent to out-of-network hospitals."

• 2 months later...

Posted (edited)

Important to point out is that ground ambulance transport is not included in the new federal law. Air ambulance is included. Many states i.e California already addressed surprise medical billing but again, ground ambulance transport is not included. I sure hope they keep the pressure up to address this gap. Imagine getting a billing from an ambulance service for say over $8K when you think you're fully covered. SURPRISE! You're not covered. I'm going to make a stink about this online to keep this circulating in the news.

Surprise Ambulance Bills: A Consumer’s Guide | California Healthline

$3,660 for a four-mile ride? Ambulances are hitting patients with surprise bills - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Edited by StarkRaven$

We have insurance. When Mrs. Vig was shot, surprisingly the ambulance ride was only around $1800 IIRC. Out of pocket was only around $350 I think.

Ambulance rides are a sore subject in NC. NC allows your wages to be garnished if you don't pay. Can't be garnished here if you screw over a credit card company, but heaven help if you don't or can't pay for an ambulance ride. With that said, here in Charlotte, MEDIC our ambulance service has not been going for wage garnishments. But they are owed a princely sum by many. There was talk about a year and a half ago about that they would start going for garnishments. Local law makers asked them to hold off due to COVID. The conversation is starting to come up again though recently from what I've heard.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, TheVig said:

We have insurance. When Mrs. Vig was shot, surprisingly the ambulance ride was only around $1800 IIRC. Out of pocket was only around $350 I think.

Ambulance rides are a sore subject in NC. NC allows your wages to be garnished if you don't pay. Can't be garnished here if you screw over a credit card company, but heaven help if you don't or can't pay for an ambulance ride. With that said, here in Charlotte, MEDIC our ambulance service has not been going for wage garnishments. But they are owed a princely sum by many. There was talk about a year and a half ago about that they would start going for garnishments. Local law makers asked them to hold off due to COVID. The conversation is starting to come up again though recently from what I've heard.

At least you two walked away out only $350. That would be doable for us.

Unfortunately as the word gets out more on ambulance transport balance billing, it puts a crimp in calling 911 if you think you have a medical emergency. That Life Alert may go by the wayside too which is scary.

Edited by StarkRaven$

12 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

The community I live in provides free ambulance service. Weird benefit. No postal delivery except for (free) POBs but free rides to the hospital.

Interesting. I'm still trying to get some clarification from my insurance Kaiser. Was on the phone with member services and I could tell the rep had no idea what the answer was even though she regurgitated a canned response on emergencies in general that only addressed admittance to a hospital but not the actual transport. I will go in person to speak with member services. 

On a side note, I really don't like having all my documents with Kaiser online. EOB's only adddresses the services I've received. I will bring that up in person too with member services. I want things in writing.

I am just being proactive for the future.