Requesting advice on how to proceed regarding Experian.

Problem Statement: Experian has frozen my credit file and refuses to unfreeze. Multiple credit applications pulling Experian denied.

Supporting facts: 

Datapoint #1 -  A few months ago, I applied for a Chase credit card in a branch and received a pending message. waited 10 days, called Chase phone line and got to know that my Experian credit file is frozen. Logged on to Experian unfreeze website and figured out my file is not frozen according to Experian website. Called up Chase again and asked agent to re-run my application. No luck again. Called Experian help line. Spoke with 2 agents and both of them confirmed my credit file is unfrozen. Called Chase again. Same freeze message on Chase's end. I gave up pursuing the credit card application.

Datapoint #2 - With interest rates low, I applied to refinance my primary home. The first lender refused to process because they couldn't pull my Experian file due to credit freeze. Second lender was able to pull EQ and TU but not EX. They proceeded ahead with 2 out of 3 credit bureau scores. What was supposed to be an easy process took 2 months to refinance due to EX freeze. I have 2 letters from lender to prove EX freeze is active. First letter, when I initiated application and 2nd one prior to loan closing. Both of them show EX is frozen.

Datapoint #3 - Applied for Chase card again. Same story. Chase cannot process my application because EX file is frozen. Chase sends a letter stating that.

Datapoint #4 - Applied for another card at a different bank that pulls EX. Denied and receive a letter after 10 days stating they cannot process my credit card due to EX credit freeze. 

I submitted multiple CFPB complaints (one for each datapoint) and each time, EX replied my credit file is not frozen and they are not going to do anything about it. Yes, I have multiple written statements (one for each CFPB complaint) that EX will not investigate further.

What do you advise my path here?

I could file FCRA law suit but I'm not an attorney and have never been to court before. Going to court and filing a lawsuit intimidates me but I'll follow thru if needed. I'm sure a lawyer could find multiple CRA violations of Experian. I just want Experian to unfreeze my credit file.

Messages from lenders 

DataPoint #1 : Your credit score is not available from Experian, which is a consumer reporting agency, because they may not have enough information about your credit history to calculate a scrore.

DataPoint #2(Chase): We need to review your credit report before continuing but because of safeguards you requested from the credit reporting agency, we are unable to access it. We tried to access your credit report from EXPERIAN (and Experian address in Allen, TX)

Here's what you need to do now.

1) Contact the credit reporting agency above to allows us to access your credit report

2). [A message asking to call back with phone numbers and available times]

If we don't receive the information within 14 days of the date of this letter, we'll no longer consider your request.

DataPoint #3: 

The credit reporting agency advised us that a security/credit freeze was placed on your report. Unfortunately, due to the freeze on your credit bureau report we are unable to verify your credit history with other credit grantors.

If you still wish to apply for the xxx credit card account, please contact the credit reporting agency below to remove the freeze. Once the freeze has been removed, you may reapply 30 days from the date of this letter.

Experian address in Allen, TX.

• Admin
5 hours ago, MarvBear said:

What is the error message the creditor received from Experian upon attempting to access your file?

Can they show you the message Experian returned when they tried to access your file?

7 hours ago, Mando25541 said:

Messages from lenders 

DataPoint #1 : Your credit score is not available from Experian, which is a consumer reporting agency, because they may not have enough information about your credit history to calculate a scrore.

This just means you have a file too thin to score.

I don't have a solution to your apparent problem with EX but I will say I am sorry to hear about your ID theft.

6 hours ago, hegemony said:

This just means you have a file too thin to score.

I don't have a solution to your apparent problem with EX but I will say I am sorry to hear about your ID theft.

It's not an ID theft. I always keep the files at the 3 bureaus frozen for the last 5 yrs. It's only EX I have a problem with. EQ and TU are golden.  

My file is 20+ yrs old. It's not thin. 

6 hours ago, Mando25541 said:

It's not an ID theft. I always keep the files at the 3 bureaus frozen for the last 5 yrs. It's only EX I have a problem with. EQ and TU are golden.  

I say just sue them. Experian is the biggest bunch of a-holes I can think of. It's not too expensive to file an FCRA lawsuit. My lawyer charges me about $1,000 each time I want to file one. Settlement usually occurs after a few months of arguing between the attorneys, without going to court, because no one wants to go. You seem to have exhausted your other means of getting their attention, so why not give it a try? Even if you do go to court, I am sure a jury will find your case sympathetic. The challenging part will be finding the right statute/subsection under which to sue them.

7 hours ago, Mando25541 said:

okay. good luck.