Is the Citi Rewards+ THE Crappiest CC Ever? A Scam??

PotO

Citi offered my son a Custom Cash SUB for $200 (in the form of 20,000 Thank You Points) so he took the bait and ultimately -- after their security circus -- got approved for $3,800. Could have been worse.

At the same time, my wife (without prior consultation) applied for the crappy Rewards+ card with a SUB for $150 (in the form of 15,000 Thank You Points). Without the security circus, her starting limit was $8,600. In my book, that's really shabby.

So fast forward to the end of the billing cycle and on Friday their statements cut and the TYPs available to redeem. To redeem rewards, ShiattyBank pushes you to their TYP portal. When my son selected the direct deposit option, you have to go through another turd called Plaid. Every account he tried to link failed. Finally, he selected statement credit.

During the check out process, TYP portal, unlike the normal ShiattyBank credit card portal, mandates you have a home phone on file. WTF has a landline these days? We entered my office number. Then, as if it couldn't get any more regarded, they had to send yet another one-time password. In spite of having a cell plumber in his profile, they insisted that the text message could only be sent to the home phone number. WTF has a landline that receives text messages?

Finally he called in and they quickly and easily set up the redemption of 21,000 TYP for $210 and he will see his statement credit soon, hopefully.

With my wife's redemption, we decided to use another cell number as the home phone and it worked. Again, the turd Plaid failed so she chose statement credit. Try as she may, though, her 17,000 TYP only came out to a statement credit of $85. She got scammed for $65.

WTF are some TYPs only work $0.005 and others worth $0.02? How can ShiattyBank give you a SUB offer of 15,000 TYP that they say is worth $150, and then only pay out 1/2?

Better yet, how the hell do they even dare to offer a card that only gives 1/2% rewards? Heck, even here on CB we all think 1% is crappy, but 1/2%????? Seems to me that the Rewards+ is one of the crappiest cards available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh no, that is awful.  Ok can you cancel it (the point redemption) for your wife?  It used to be thank you points could be pooled.  If it still is the case consider transferring to your son and cashing out that way instead.  CapOne Venture I used to have used to greatly devalue points if I tried to cash out for statement credit (I of course never did).  You may wish to try and reverse your wifes cash out then transfer the points then product change her to Custom cash?  What a pain in the ass though huh?  In contrast Chase seems to be making it easier and easier to cash out (and frankly for all the bad press both my WF Active cash and my Propel easily cash out at 1cent/pt although active cash converts it into currency when transfer points from Propel).  I really dont know why banks make some of the crapier cards difficult.  It makes people want to go to a simpler bank.

I used to have the Citi Premier card and I always loathed the Thank You points. I got that card because it had good multipliers for dining, gas, and groceries. No matter how I redeemed the points (cash, gift cards, travel), I always seemed to get less than 1 cent per point. This was back in maybe 2016. Citi can keep those points. I think UR or MR points are the only ones worth investing energy into in terms of flexible currencies. Chase and AmEx have built up many cards that earn those points too, whereas Citi just has a few that may or may not work for a lot of people.

5 hours ago, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

I used to have the Citi Premier card and I always loathed the Thank You points. I got that card because it had good multipliers for dining, gas, and groceries. No matter how I redeemed the points (cash, gift cards, travel), I always seemed to get less than 1 cent per point. This was back in maybe 2016. Citi can keep those points. I think UR or MR points are the only ones worth investing energy into in terms of flexible currencies. Chase and AmEx have built up many cards that earn those points too, whereas Citi just has a few that may or may not work for a lot of people.

Yeah hard to beat UR with MR a close second in my opinion (mainly because without the Schwab card its hard to turn into Cash at a good redemption value).  I still consider that 80K SUB Citi premier has and may take it if it still exists next year with the intent to use it on either Virgin Atlantic or JetBlue points transfers quickly then convert the card within a year to the Custom Cash no annual fee card.  I think with Virgin I could likely use the credit for Delta flights and actually get good award value (mostly because with elite status on delta it makes it a bit easier to get decent upgrades when combining with delta miles after the ticket is booked.  Its probably worth about $1K to me, just opened enough cards for a while so have to wait and it may be gone but oh well.  I do like the idea of the custom cash for groceries.

What is this that the Premier refers too?: "Plus, enjoy an Annual Hotel Savings Benefit

Edited by Wander907

Yeah, Citi sucks.

Even their Double Cash card is a pain in the butt. You have to wait until after statement date and then can only redeem if it's over $25. It seems they count on earning money from people who can never redeem all their rewards.

On the other hand, with PenFed I get the rewards posted to my account as soon as the purchase posts and can redeem as little as $0.01 for a quick deposit into any account I want.

We called Citi TYP. Indeed the TYPs have a different value depending on which card earned them. The Rewards+ TYP is worth 1/2 of a cent for cash redemption and the Custom Cash is 1 cent.

The value of the TYP doubles if you redeem for a gift card, they said. When I checked, their gift card offerings are bleak. I'm not too keen about spending $560 at either StarSucks or Panda Express.