Is BMO Harris inquiry-sensitive?

Sidewinder

Since centex has failed to get my new Chase Freedom card to report to the CRA's already, I've had extra time to consider my next move.  I thought it was going to be the AAA Member Rewards Visa, however; some of my existing balances that I want to transfer are already held by BOA.  I'm comfortably certain that as the issuers of the AAA card, they're not going to gib me 0% on a debt they already hold, so... here I am.

BMO Harris is probably where I'll aim now... unless you guys think that having opened 3 new cards already in the past 90 days is a deal-breaker?  It's tough to judge inquiry-sensitivity from the pulls database  : /

Scores are 775 at Experian, 750-754 at the other two; but mind, neither the new $17.2K Chase card nor the $5K increase from BOA ($11K to $16K) have reported yet.  Stoked to find out what effect they have.

(...and whether BMO will like me)

: /

11 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

You heard me. 

You always come in loud and clear ;)

What I haven't pieced together yet (likely because I haven't devoted time to the effort) is your "larger picture" credit strategy.  I'm simply not discerning a cohesive pattern to your credit activity the last few months.  But that's likely on me ...

On 9/20/2021 at 5:47 AM, centex said:

I'm still trying to figure out who the 'he' was that was referenced...

Gulp.

I am guilty of assuming, in the absence of even any slight or infinitesimal hints, centex to be male.

(I take it now that the assumption was wrong?  🥺  )

7 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Gulp.

I am guilty of assuming, in the absence of even any slight or infinitesimal hints, centex to be male.

(I take it now that the assumption was wrong?  🥺  )

You've been here 14 years...it's been discussed.  Many times. 

5 hours ago, centex said:

You've been here 14 years...it's been discussed.  Many times. 

True (and I think it's been 15 years for myself).  But unlike many posters here (myself including) gender evidence (such as discussion of spouse/SO, etc.) rarely surfaces in your posts.  Truth is, I lose track of the "facts" until reminded once again.

This is, of course, diametrically opposed to the former posts of @LustfortheMoment, whose avatar (at one time) was an image of idealized 20- or 30-something female beauty.  Such as overt projection, in itself, raised some question about the person behind it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

(...and whether BMO will like me)

: /

If you are lucky, they won't like you.

There's a reason why BMO reminds me of Bowel MOvement.

A couple of years ago I decided to apply for a BMO checking account as a precursor to applying for one of their credit cards. The application was successful and the account paraphernalia arrived. When I tried to set up online banking, it was impossible. I called and they stumbled for a long time not knowing WTF was wrong. The next day I got a check in the mail saying they had closed my account for security reasons.

I called again and they wanted me to provide a copy of my SS card, proof of address and driver license. They gave me an e-mail address to send the pictures to, but I raised the stupidness of sending these items via e-mail. They gave me a fax number.

I faxed the documents and they reopened the account. I provided then the account details so they could pull the opening deposit again from my other bank. A week or two goes by, another check in the mail and again the account is closed. Called and they requested the same documents again. When I pointed out that this is a repeat, they stated that this time I needed to bring the documents in person to their branch.

No way I was going to drive from California to Utah to their closest branch so I told them what to suck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/19/2021 at 2:14 AM, A Credit Ed said:

Pretty sure it has to do with how pretty/awesome the card's design is, combined with the architectural details of the post office payments get mailed to. Not sure of the exact formula though.

The algorithm is re-jigged every few years in order to stay ahead of those trying to reverse-engineer it.

16 hours ago, PotO said:

A couple of years ago I decided to apply for a BMO checking account as a precursor to applying for one of their credit cards. The application was successful and the account paraphernalia arrived. When I tried to set up online banking, it was impossible. I called and they stumbled for a long time not knowing WTF was wrong. The next day I got a check in the mail saying they had closed my account for security reasons.

I called again and they wanted me to provide a copy of my SS card, proof of address and driver license. They gave me an e-mail address to send the pictures to, but I raised the stupidness of sending these items via e-mail. They gave me a fax number.

I faxed the documents and they reopened the account. I provided then the account details so they could pull the opening deposit again from my other bank. A week or two goes by, another check in the mail and again the account is closed. Called and they requested the same documents again. When I pointed out that this is a repeat, they stated that this time I needed to bring the documents in person to their branch.

No way I was going to drive from California to Utah to their closest branch so I told them what to suck.

See, they do have branches in Arizona.

I've had a deposit relationship with them for a while and some of their practices are unusual if not baffling.  The way they secure & authenticate account access online and by telephone is not user-friendly (even if I'm satisfied that it also isn't thief-friendly).

Your experience is one of those stories that has me growing convinced that it's got something to do with what star you were born under.  Seems like maybe you just weren't born to be a BMO customer.  Me, I've always had good experiences with, say, all of the airlines except United; I've never had to wait in line at the post office (not that that's really a thing anymore : /  ), never been on hold with the IRS even on April 15th, and always get superior service from Bank of America (yes! Bank of America!)

I was just born under the right star for air travel and IRS-ing and Bank-of-America-ing.

Now, some people - my own sister for instance - seem to have been fated for good experiences with Citibank; whereas I, see, have not.

(It comes down to whether or not you were born for it.)

Edited by Sidewinder

See, they do have branches in Arizona.

I've had a deposit relationship with them for a while and some of their practices are unusual if not baffling.  The way they secure & authenticate account access online and by telephone is not user-friendly (even if I'm satisfied that it also isn't thief-friendly).

Your experience is one of those stories that has me growing convinced that it's got something to do with what star you were born under.  Seems like maybe you just weren't born to be a BMO customer.  Me, I've always had good experiences with, say, all of the airlines except United; I've never had to wait in line at the post office (not that that's really a thing anymore : /  ), never been on hold with the IRS even on April 15th, and always get superior service from Bank of America (yes! Bank of America!)

I was just born under the right star for air travel and IRS-ing and Bank-of-America-ing.

Now, some people - my own sister for instance - seem to have been fated for good experiences with Citibank; whereas I, see, have not.

(It comes down to whether or not you were born for it.)

Maps are really cool things. They show that the distance from San Francisco to Utah and from San Francisco to Arizona are around the same. Anyhow, they specifically told me which branch to go to in Utah.

I seriously doubt it's which star someone was born under. It's probably more genetics. Some people don't know the stench of poop and maybe confuse it with Chinese food.

And I never have problems with Skank of America either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, Sidewinder said:

Welp. Experian is now reporting the 5K increase, but no change in score.  I've a hunch that 5K added to $149K isn't going to make as big of a splash in a 780 score as it might on my 753 from Equifax.

At those score thresholds, there just really isn't anything to be gained score-wise from something that is barely a ripple in the pond.  Both scores tell me you have room to improve with AZEO and by having inquiries fall off. 

AZEO?  : /

Inquiry run-down:  Chase (Freedom Flex, approved 17.2K); FNBO (Rewards Visa, 11.3K); Barclay's (Aviator Red, 12.6K) - all since late June.  Then there's the failed Freedom Flex inquiry from July 2020 and the BofA Cash Rewards from the previous February.  Is that enough inquiries to be measurably impacting my scores?

If so, then : / .

5 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

AZEO?  : /

Inquiry run-down:  Chase (Freedom Flex, approved 17.2K); FNBO (Rewards Visa, 11.3K); Barclay's (Aviator Red, 12.6K) - all since late June.  Then there's the failed Freedom Flex inquiry from July 2020 and the BofA Cash Rewards from the previous February.  Is that enough inquiries to be measurably impacting my scores?

If so, then : / .

All zero except one. 

And yes, five inquiries could be good for ten points.  The age component ALSO took a hit.

A few months back, I had a thread related to direct impact on all zero when I had an 850.  I wanted to see if AXP charge balance would count for the 'except one,' There was also a new account that reported.  The upshot was that, no, the charge balance did not satisfy the 'except one.' I got ~15 points back when I let some nominal amount report.  I took about a ten point hit on the new account. 

6 hours ago, centex said:

All zero except one. 

And yes, five inquiries could be good for ten points.  The age component ALSO took a hit.

A few months back, I had a thread related to direct impact on all zero when I had an 850.  I wanted to see if AXP charge balance would count for the 'except one,' There was also a new account that reported.  The upshot was that, no, the charge balance did not satisfy the 'except one.' I got ~15 points back when I let some nominal amount report.  I took about a ten point hit on the new account. 

Which, is what I said basically.