WSJ - Amazon Is Doing It. So Is Walmart. Why Retail Loves ‘Buy Now, Pay Later.’ (paywall)

BNPL WSJ Link (paywall)

The top takeaways:

“… ability to buy things even without cash on hand—translating to higher sales for retailers.”

“… spend more at Macy’s when they use [BNPL] … also helping the retailer attract younger customers.”

“Merchants take no credit risk … but the fees they incur can be higher than on credit-card purchases...”

“…[BNPL] companies can create self-contained payment ecosystems…”

“Synchrony will launch a [BNPL] plan in October. Capital One will test out its own offering later this year…”

Every couple of years or so, my employer has us do online discrimination and harassment training. A new module this year was added to the training. "Money Consciousness". In other words when inviting others or noobs out for dinner or drinks, we should be mindful of the place we pick. Don't want it to be too expensive. The person(s) being invited may have money issues.

That training module affected some of us so much, that many of us apologized for get togethers at Waffle House, and all you can eat soup and salad for lunch at Olive Garden.

Edited by TheVig
5 hours ago, TheVig said:

Every couple of years or so, my employer has us do online discrimination and harassment training. A new module this year was added to the training. "Money Consciousness". In other words when inviting others or noobs out for dinner or drinks, we should be mindful of the place we pick. Don't want it to be too expensive. The person(s) being invited may have money issues.

That training module affected some of us so much, that many of us apologized for get togethers at Waffle House, and all you can eat soup and salad for lunch at Olive Garden.

I paid a graduate student to take my "training" for me this year. I'm not sure what she did but I ended up with some stern letter in my personnel file regarding my performance on the (outsourced online) training.

I think I may have to change up my "dream gig": 

Showrunner for the "Hegemony Show" seems pretty appealing right now ...

Exactly!

Imagine having hopefully female graduate students doing whatever it takes to please the professor.

And then, best of all, probably dozens of fresh undergraduates eager to please.

But the danger to you, [mention]hdporter [/mention], is that your wife would slaughter you. It would make all the newspapers and [mention]hegemony [/mention]would start a thread about it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk