Spurred on by the pandemic, more homeowners are selling to iBuyers — avoiding hordes of strangers traipsing around their house

hegemony

It's akin to trading in your car at the dealership vs. selling privately.  Selling on your own you'll certainly get more, but at what cost in time, dealing with people, etc.  

I certainly get the allure, but in a car deal you may leave a few thousand on the table in the worst case.  I'd be willing to bet on a home the risk is much greater.

I'll spare you the background, but my train wreck of a SIL took serious consideration of such an offer and it's apparent that she'd be leaving more than 10% of her equity on the table.

For those averse to uncertainty, such come-ons are appealing.   Nothing more than "sign and move" required.  And, at a time of highly appreciated prices, even an offer that's sub-par by 10% looks quite attractive.

The fact that these firms appear to be flourishing in this market is a testament, once again, that there's a huge need for secondary school systems to incorporate a measure of consumer education into their curriculum; a minimum of 2 semesters worth.  In a world of increasingly complex financial decisions, I'll suggest that most every high school graduate is ignorant of the basic facts necessary to make informed decisions. 

No one should be navigating these decisions without greater preparation any more than we should be sending novice drivers out on the road without prior prep and supervision.

23 hours ago, hdporter said:

I'll spare you the background, but my train wreck of a SIL took serious consideration of such an offer and it's apparent that she'd be leaving more than 10% of her equity on the table.

For those averse to uncertainty, such come-ons are appealing.   Nothing more than "sign and move" required.  And, at a time of highly appreciated prices, even an offer that's sub-par by 10% looks quite attractive.

The fact that these firms appear to be flourishing in this market is a testament, once again, that there's a huge need for secondary school systems to incorporate a measure of consumer education into their curriculum; a minimum of 2 semesters worth.  In a world of increasingly complex financial decisions, I'll suggest that most every high school graduate is ignorant of the basic facts necessary to make informed decisions. 

No one should be navigating these decisions without greater preparation any more than we should be sending novice drivers out on the road without prior prep and supervision.

TL/DR:

Saturn buyers.