California man, 79, sentenced to 4 years for charging small businesses and charities hugely inflated prices for printer toner

7 hours ago, ubercat said:

I wonder why stories like this are printed.  This is how business is done now.  If everyone was held to this standard we'd have far fewer million/billionaires.  I could list a good number of corporations who behave exactly like this old con artist.

If you and I live in the same dystopian universe, I'm naively optimistic ...

8 hours ago, hdporter said:

If you and I live in the same dystopian universe, I'm naively optimistic ...

I believe most people are good at heart, but they're also really crap at organizing.  Maybe we'll get our ess together someday...

On 9/13/2021 at 6:04 AM, centex said:

How does someone 'take advantage' of groups too stupid to shop prices?  I just don't get the victim mentality that leads to people embracing this sort of sob story...

Ok ... I probably have to concede a point or two to you on this count.  But I think it's fair to say that this guy employed a fair degree of finesse to lull these people into signing on for a service that they neither wanted nor needed.  That someone reasonably on the ball wouldn't fall prey to the ruse doesn't excuse the ill intent of the scammer.

So, on a very lightly related note I'll relate an anecdote involving my wife and myself.  She was loosely shopping the job market and happened upon a website that promoted online tools to help her refine her resume.  It offered access at a low fee and Bev signed on, providing her BA credit card details.  She had a productive session, printed the result, and forgot about it.

As you might expect, more than likely, buried in the details, was the typical advisory that if she failed to call and cancel, she would be enrolled in a monthly subscription to the site at $29.95/mo.  Now, I'm the one who reviews credit card detail monthly and when I saw the charge, it appeared reasonable (aware as I was of her activities).

After seeing a repeat subscription charge for a couple of more months, I got around to asking Bev about it.  She pleaded total ignorance, but after scanning her email account we found a satisfactory explanation.  I don't fault her in this; I might just as easily have fallen into the scam if I were carrying her "plate", although I'm much more anal in hunting for and reviewing "fine print".  I asked her to call and discontinue the subscription and seek a refund of at least 50%.

Well, she didn't follow up immediately, and as I saw additional charges I'd occasionally shoot out a reminder.  When about 8 mo were racked up, she got around to calling.  It was a major PITA (long wait time and a resistant CSR).  Ultimately they agree to reverse the last 2 charges.  Not good enough for me.

Now, in truthfulness, while some "misdirection" may have been employed in setting out initial terms, there likely was no misrepresentation.  I couldn't legitimately claim that any refund was due aside from what had been granted.  However, in substance, there's no doubt that the website was structured specifically to induce behavior such as that of Bev's and that the vendor was dependent upon such behavior for the bulk of their revenue.  As such, I'll suggest that a measure of fraud necessarily attaches to their marketing behavior.

In calling BA to seek a partial chargeback, I was less than confident that Bev would succeed (even in asking for 1/2 the charges to be reversed).  However, to my surprise, relief, and great satisfaction, the BA CSR ran the vendor in their system and without hesitation offered a credit for all charges to date (immediate credit, not a provisional credit). 

Suffice it to say that I'm appreciative that the BA CSR didn't attempt to push back with "to stupid to" reasoning.  (not bashing you @centex; your "how do you take advantage" observation has merit.  But "intent" on the part of the "vendor" bears consideration too.)

5 hours ago, hdporter said:

Suffice it to say that I'm appreciative that the BA CSR didn't attempt to push back with "to stupid to" reasoning.  (not bashing you @centex; your "how do you take advantage" observation has merit.  But "intent" on the part of the "vendor" bears consideration too.)

Any competent small business or charity already HAS a source for toner and isn't ordering off of a cold-call. 

About every two weeks, I get a call about copier supplies.  We HAD a contract on our machine that has expired but we still use the company for some of the supplies.  When a cold call comes in about supplies, I inquire who they are with again, that I missed it when the call was put through...in almost every instance, the response I get is *click* as they hang up. 

I just don't get why someone would be ordering bulk supplies from a cold call and have little sympathy for those that get taken because they chose not to do the due diligence. 

Any competent small business or charity already HAS a source for toner and isn't ordering off of a cold-call. 

About every two weeks, I get a call about copier supplies.  We HAD a contract on our machine that has expired but we still use the company for some of the supplies.  When a cold call comes in about supplies, I inquire who they are with again, that I missed it when the call was put through...in almost every instance, the response I get is *click* as they hang up. 

I just don't get why someone would be ordering bulk supplies from a cold call and have little sympathy for those that get taken because they chose not to do the due diligence. 

The article points out that the con artist was pretending to be their original supplier in many instances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk