Credit Card PIN at the Gas Pump

We recently received new World Mastercard credit cards. I went to fuel the truck, and was surprised when it asked for a PIN. Then I noticed "PIN Bypass" had appeared on the contextual menu, so I selected it and went on as normal for a credit card transaction. My spouse encountered the same thing the next day,  but became so flummoxed that a Chase credit card was used to save the day. (The PIN request didn't come up for the Chase card and hadn't with the previous credit card we used either).

Does anyone know why this credit card would prompt for a PIN only at the gas pump? (Inside the grocery store, it doesn't do that, it's just a plain old credit card transaction.)

I thought I was keeping up with EMV, touchless, digital wallets - I have personally used chip & pin in Europe - but somewhere along the way I seem to have missed a step. 

I have some true chip and pin EMV credit/debit cards from non U.S. banks.  Sometimes I'm prompted for a PIN, and sometimes not. This is true even in Europe. I would drive myself crazy trying to figure out the reason for this for each transaction. I do prefer contactless, when that's available, since hopefully there's no chance of any skimming device capturing my card data. 

Edited by Burgerwars
10 hours ago, racer7949 said:

I thought I was keeping up with EMV, touchless, digital wallets - I have personally used chip & pin in Europe - but somewhere along the way I seem to have missed a step. 

Just think of how much harder it would be to steal card numbers if everything went not only tap to pay but also required a pin.  I sure hope this happens soon but I doubt it will.

I ran into this at one of my regular gas stations I’ve been using for years. 

Pump allowed me to bypass pin. 

For personal data point for myself, a week later, filled up at the same station, using the same card. This time around I entered the PIN. Charge posted as a regular credit transaction. In simple language…….no cash advance shenanigans. 

There are some US Banks that do real chip and PIN cards. USAA is one of them, due to the number of members who travel abroad. There are other institutions that offer similar cards. I want to say that they maybe made me request this type of card. I don't think they send it out as the default. I ordered this type of card for a trip I took to Europe. 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, RehabbingANDBlabbing said:

There are some US Banks that do real chip and PIN cards. USAA is one of them, due to the number of members who travel abroad. There are other institutions that offer similar cards. I want to say that they maybe made me request this type of card. I don't think they send it out as the default. I ordered this type of card for a trip I took to Europe. 

Yes, I finally figured out that these cards are "real" chip and pin, unlike most US cards that are chip and signature. I'll make sure to have my PIN next time I'm in Canada, because there won't be any bypassing over there. 

Edited by racer7949
Forgot a word.
On 9/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, racer7949 said:

Yes, I finally figured out that these cards are "real" chip and pin, unlike most US cards that are chip and signature. I'll make sure to have my PIN next time I'm in Canada, because there won't be any bypassing over there. 

The only problem we had getting gas in Canada was when we tried to use my Discovery card, but that's because Discovery declined the charge even after I registered our destination and travel dates well before our trip.  

I try to stay away from pumps that require inserting your card, I normally use samsung pay on either my phone or watch, or even some cards have nfc now, I use that. So far, so good.

I wouldn't insert any card into a pump anymore if I were you, lots of gas stations have very lax security and I've had a number of debit cards get compromised solely by gas pumps.

5 hours ago, redbull71 said:

I try to stay away from pumps that require inserting your card, I normally use samsung pay on either my phone or watch, or even some cards have nfc now, I use that. So far, so good.

I wouldn't insert any card into a pump anymore if I were you, lots of gas stations have very lax security and I've had a number of debit cards get compromised solely by gas pumps.

I try to minimize direct exposure to my cash liquidity by NOT using debit cards.

6 hours ago, redbull71 said:

More pumps now have contactless readers. In my part of the world (San Fernando Valley) the Chevron and 76 stations near me both do.

5 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

More pumps now have contactless readers. In my part of the world (San Fernando Valley) the Chevron and 76 stations near me both do.

Yeah lots here where I live do as well. They're very useful. I don't know if Samsung pay is any more secure than traditional methods, but I've had no issues in the year+ I've been using it.