7 years since missed payment, why is it still there?

Missash43

On 9/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, Missash43 said:

I missed a payment for a federal student loan and about a week and a half ago, it hit 7 years. Isn't it supposed to just fall off? When will that actually happen? Do I have to do something to make it fall off?

Thanks for your help!

For starters, it is seven years and six months from the event leading to the chargeoff event that comes into play.  However, a lot of student loans don't charge off. 

Then you also get into private versus federal, which impacts remedies.  You need to be acutely aware that if you kick a federal loan hornets nest, you may find yourself with Administrative Wage Garnishment in the near future.  Ditto the seizure of tax returns.  And, just to make the water as clear as some recent Northeast flood waters, the stays that came about because of the boondoggles of the past year have likely meant no recent reporting on those loans to go along with collection efforts having been stayed.

Unless you have gone through rehab already, I would HIGHLY recommend that you contact the Ombudsman and do so...after some nominal number of payments (used to be six), you can then refinance and the old account tradelines get removed from the reports as if they never happened. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By 127B
      What's the best way to maximize your relationship with NFCU? I have that. With them for almost 10 years. I have 3 Credit cards with them, multiple accounts. Any advice?
    • By Compton56
      Iv been battling this car loan late payment with Ally financial for a year now. Iv called and sent dispute/forgiveness letters to Ally trying to get the 30 days late payment removed but they wont budge. I've always paid a lil more then what's due. Because of Covid I looked up the Fair credit act to see if there's protections for us from having negative marks on our credit during the pandemic but still no luck for me. Does anyone have any suggestion for me this is my only late payment.
    • By Compton56
      I tried a 100 day trial for a mattress and didn't relies I was basically  taking out a small loan. Before the trial ended I refunded the mattress and they gave me back my money and now I have a closed installment account on my report.  All my payments where on time I just want to remove the closed account from my Experian credit report. My original dispute was rejected does anyone have any suggestions?
    • By Speedbird747
      After many years, I’ve managed to reach achieve zero credit card debt (student loans are another matter but, these days, I’ll take any victory I can come by). 

I have two credit cards from Citi. Both are the same “sponsor”, but one is a higher level and affords more rewards (gold vs platinum). Neither card has a balance, however, the lower tiered card has a higher limit. As I’m in now the practice of paying balances in-full each month, the credit limit is only a consideration insofaras its negative effect on my FICO score if I were to close it. It would lower my total available credit, and it is an older account (~10 years). 

Should I just keep it open in perpetuity, occasionally using it for a small purchase to keep it active? Should I close it and deal with the credit score hit? Has anyone heard of a credit card company “consolidating” two cards? Is there another option I haven’t thought of?

My instincts tell me that the first option may be best, as I’d like to apply for a mortgage within the next few years. 

Any thoughtful advice would be appreciated!
    • By lcuervos
      Hello,
      My mother recently sold her house and I am trying to help her figure out what debts to pay off, which to try and settle for less, and which to not bother with now or at all.
      She is looking to get another property (maybe a 15yr fixed mortgage?) and so far has a credit rating of 716, but according to the report I see the bank payoffs after the sale of the house have not been reported. These payoffs came out to about 95K. Her husband died and much of the debt is under his name, however I think due to the state she lives in, the debt is considered hers as well? The debt under his name does not show up on her report.

After the sale, she has about 115K to work with, but with these remaining debts:
      a private loan for 10K, no interest
      ~4000K owed to plumbing company for repairs
      credit cards: ~11K in her name on 3 cards, ~1500K in husband's
      ~1200K owed to hospital

All of the above was her now passed husband's except the 3 credit cards mentioned. In order for her to successfully purchase a new home, get rid of as much debt as possible, but still try and have something saved for emergencies or to use otherwise, what would you suggest?

Is it worth seeking paid professional advice? Is there a better place to post this?

Thanks for any and all help.

L.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    x3782d

Important Information

Guidelines