7 years since missed payment, why is it still there?

I missed a payment for a federal student loan and about a week and a half ago, it hit 7 years. Isn't it supposed to just fall off? When will that actually happen? Do I have to do something to make it fall off?

Thanks for your help!

welcome to CB!

Are you looking at real reports from each of the four major CRAs or at least at the ACR site for the big three?

It should fall off automatically. Are you sure the tradeline has the correct dates? Oh, and is it still an open tradeline?

On 9/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, Missash43 said:

I missed a payment for a federal student loan and about a week and a half ago, it hit 7 years. Isn't it supposed to just fall off? When will that actually happen? Do I have to do something to make it fall off?

Thanks for your help!

For starters, it is seven years and six months from the event leading to the chargeoff event that comes into play.  However, a lot of student loans don't charge off. 

Then you also get into private versus federal, which impacts remedies.  You need to be acutely aware that if you kick a federal loan hornets nest, you may find yourself with Administrative Wage Garnishment in the near future.  Ditto the seizure of tax returns.  And, just to make the water as clear as some recent Northeast flood waters, the stays that came about because of the boondoggles of the past year have likely meant no recent reporting on those loans to go along with collection efforts having been stayed.

Unless you have gone through rehab already, I would HIGHLY recommend that you contact the Ombudsman and do so...after some nominal number of payments (used to be six), you can then refinance and the old account tradelines get removed from the reports as if they never happened. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CandiedCredit
      I sent out a validation letter to a medical collection on the 1st. today the 17th i got an alert that a new account was added. The account was never removed to my knowledge but it is the same Collection but now the balance says zero.  Why would they do this? I haven't received any response from them.   Should I wait the 30 days to see if they remove, or move forward with another letter?  Thanks for any response 
    • By credithoarder
      Hi All,

I have searched this board to identify a singular thread that nails down the personal experience of members who follow the AZERO but ONE credit card utilization balance strategy  Unfortunately, I have not found any expansive explanation behind who came up with this strategy, how to best implement it, and its success rate among credit card holders.

To my understanding, the gist of the AZERO but ONE strategy is to zero out the balance on all credit cards in one's profile, but carry a balance on one. I do hope I have this right, because I am trying to take put it into practice (along with great payment history and credit limits) to reach the 800+ club. 

What I am not sure about are the following:

Does the balance of the one card have a carry a statement balance (will incur an interest for non-zero APR card)? Does the balance of the one card have to carry a current card balance (money spent to-date) at the end of the closing date? Does the balance of the one card have to be < 30 %?  
      I utilize the spreadsheet from the following site to play around with the card balances - Card Utilization Calculator. Ideally, I like to keep my card utilization between 7%-10% max.  However, when I average out all my cards in the calculator, the total utilization rate naturally comes to less than %1.  At that point, I am not sure if having < 1% is considered to be so negligible to the Fico scoring system that it makes it appear that I really don't utilize my cards at all. 

As an experiment, I plan on carrying a 30% current balance on one of my cards for one billing cycle, out of 7 cards, which will bring my total utilization ratio to about 7%. 

That said, does anyone have any experience or insight to this approach they are willing to share?
    • By Menta33
      I've got Citi AA Miles card from 2019 still with same credit limit I opened with.  Denied again for CLI, reason given was:

However, I wonder if that is the full story since they have BK loss with me that is off my credit reports now?  Are they obligated to cite that in their reasons if part of their decision making process?

My inquiries on Equifax they referred to:

Feb 17, 2021 PENTAGON FCU (Denied CLI, max exposure) Feb 17, 2021 DIGITAL FEDERAL CREDIT UN (Denied card) Dec 29, 2020 CORELOGIC CREDCO CORELOGIC for BACHOMELOANSECOMMDMA (Mortgage approved) Apr 20, 2020 CREDCO/QUICKEN CREDCO/QUICKEN for QUICKEN LOANS INC Mar 07, 2020 PENTAGON FCU (Approved CLI) Mar 07, 2020 DIGITAL FEDERAL CREDIT UN (Denied card) Feb 24, 2020 CITIBANK NA CITIBANK NA (Prior Citi CLI that was denied)  
      Experian FICO: 827 (From Wells Fargo Bank)
      TransUnion FICO: 824 (From Barclays Bank)
      Equifax FICO: 770 (From DCU older version of score)

Thoughts?
    • By racer7949
      I recently received a "score" in a letter from a financial institution. The letter revealed that the data was Equifax, but made no mention of the model, just that "Scores range from a low of 501 to a high of 990." That's an awfully high top end, could this be Vantage 4?

Of the five adverse factors listed, three were of the dunning "How dare you use your credit cards!" type, including the fact that I have too many of them. Then I got "No real estate accounts with a valid credit amount." No I don't have a mortgage; I busted my hump for 35 years to own my home free and clear and now it's a negative on my credit score. Lovely.

Then came the dreaded, infamous, Too Many Inquiries! factor; but look how they have juiced it up to sound less negative: "Number of inquiries was also a factor, but the effect was not significant."

BTW, I had one 14 month old inquiry.
    • By CandiedCredit
      Hi everyone, I am a bit confused about a letter I have received from Wells Fargo. It is an old auto loan that was charged off in 2018 (repo).  I have only removed addresses and frozen lexisnexis,innovis, etc at this point. I received a letter from WF stating that due to the age of my account they are cancelling the balance, and will no longer attempt to collect. This seems strange to me that they would voluntarily cancel a debt before I've disputed anything. What should I do if anything regarding this letter. I'm hoping the credit Gods are just dropping a blessing down on me  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SimplyTrina

Important Information

Guidelines