No cellphone; no account access

Maybe she relented and got a cell phone. Maybe her husband got her to the nearest branch somehow. Hopefully she will return and give an update.

Threads like this should give us pause, and think about how we should handle our finances when a significant other becomes disabled, or is too hard headed to get with the program when adopting technologies like a simple cell phone to keep household business moving forward.

16 hours ago, NoMoreHate said:

First, not having a phone is not a Choice for some. There are people that do not have the resources to house or feed themselves and I would hardly call not having a phone a choice for them. Actually,  ADA requires access for any one with a disability.  It is called accommodation. As originally posted this is a violation of ADA. Someone later posted that WF gives the option for a voice call, so that likely is their "accommodation." Customers can also go into an office and that is also an accommodation.

Your comments are self-contradictory (first you state that the cell phone requirement is an ADA violation and then you list two ways that WF accommodates someone who doesn't have one).

That aside, what does someone who is disabled do if they can't afford internet service but they want something from Amazon?  Mail Amazon a request for a catalog and then sue them when they don't comply?

Edited by cv91915
7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Your comments are self-contradictory (first you state that the cell phone requirement is an ADA violation and then you list two ways that WF accommodates someone who doesn't have one).

That aside, what does someone who is disabled do if they can't afford internet service but they want something from Amazon?  Mail Amazon a request for a catalog and then sue them when they don't comply?

I never said that a cellphone was a requirement of ADA. Access is a requirement of ADA. The original post said access by cellphone was required by WF. That would be a violation if there were not other methods of access.

I didn't write the ADA law and can't help if it doesn't make sense, but I have spent decades dealing with it (in an Executive capacity) and I can tell you that ADA lawsuits are plentiful and very profitable. The law actually requires the most liberal interpretation when accessing if someone is disabled or if they were denied access in any way.  Further, the plaintiffs attorney is entitled to their fees (paid by defendant). I have personally seen a blind passenger board a heavy rail train and fall when the seat he tried to sit in was in a lifted position. The seat was broken and had appropriate signage for 99% of the population. It even had yellow caution tape. He was awarded $10,000 and his attorney received his fees and cost which totaled $535,000. We appealed and we lost! I was personally involved in an ADA case where the same blind man sued claiming that our website was not accessible to him. Interesting to note that in depositions it was discovered that he did not own a computer and had no intentions of getting a computer. Again we lost.

Bottom line is that businesses need to be sure everyone has access regardless of their disability. The definition of disability is extremely broad!

It's a shame you can't read as well as you can steal stuff from your neighbors.

As for your lame example of Amazon, there are ways to get free internet access. Libraries have internet access, for example.
9 hours ago, NoMoreHate said:

I never said that a cellphone was a requirement of ADA. Access is a requirement of ADA. The original post said access by cellphone was required by WF. That would be a violation if there were not other methods of access.

I didn't write the ADA law and can't help if it doesn't make sense, but I have spent decades dealing with it (in an Executive capacity) and I can tell you that ADA lawsuits are plentiful and very profitable. The law actually requires the most liberal interpretation when accessing if someone is disabled or if they were denied access in any way.  Further, the plaintiffs attorney is entitled to their fees (paid by defendant). I have personally seen a blind passenger board a heavy rail train and fall when the seat he tried to sit in was in a lifted position. The seat was broken and had appropriate signage for 99% of the population. It even had yellow caution tape. He was awarded $10,000 and his attorney received his fees and cost which totaled $535,000. We appealed and we lost! I was personally involved in an ADA case where the same blind man sued claiming that our website was not accessible to him. Interesting to note that in depositions it was discovered that he did not own a computer and had no intentions of getting a computer. Again we lost.

Bottom line is that businesses need to be sure everyone has access regardless of their disability. The definition of disability is extremely broad!

Your comment about rail got me thinking about the problems Amtrak has been going through to make their stations more ADA compliant. 

11 hours ago, NoMoreHate said:

You keep moving the goal.

I am not completely unfamiliar with ADA.  But not having a cell isn't a disability.

Nor is not having internet access.  Or a fax machine.  

Your rail train story would be more compelling if you were asserting that the person was entitled to damages after choosing not to (our not being able to afford to) pay for a ride to catch the train. 

Edited by cv91915

You keep moving the goal.

I am not completely unfamiliar with ADA.  But not having a cell isn't a disability.

Nor is not having internet access.  Or a fax machine.  

I thought he dumbed it down enough, but it seems not enough for you.

Nobody said not having a cell phone is a disability. Learn to read. The ADA issue is when access is only granted to your bank account *only* with a cell phone, which is what the original poster complained about.

Now, if WF were to allow access via cell phone, e-mail, CSR and pink-flowered coats, then the ADA would likely be moot.

Not having a brain is a disability. Sorry you don't have one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk