Starting Over

H20eng

So I pulled my credit this morning for the first time in a while.  The score isn't pretty but on a positive note, there's not much there.  Equifax is at 524 & Experian is at 563, having trouble setting up the account with Transunion but I expect pretty much the same.  I have 5 medical collections on both reports totaling a little under $1000.  1 was paid in full this morning and they agreed to remove it from my file.  3 of the CA's told me they would update the file to reflect it paid in full if I chose to pay it.  That was a big NO.  I contacted the doc's offices and paid those 3 in full and will start the HIPAA process once things update next month.  I disputed the last one.  In terms of credit, I have none.  Average account age and length of history are both 0 years.  Nothing listed for oldest or most recent.  I opened a secured Discover card ($500) this morning.  I'm in the process of getting a checking / savings account set up at NFCU this evening.  I'll probably do a $500 secured card with them tomorrow.  I need to check with AMEX but my brother is willing to add me to his card as an authorized user if they will report me being an authorized user on it.  What else should I do short term to get my score up?  Am I missing anything?  Thanks for any advice.  

it sounds like you are taking some good steps forward. The AU on amex won't help a lot since the open date will be now and not when the card itself was opened. Does your brother have a different credit card from an issuer other than amex he can add you to?

are you opted in?

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

Does your brother have a different credit card from an issuer other than amex he can add you to?

are you opted in?

Oh yea, he has a wallet full of cards.  Does the "open date" on other cards differ when listed me as an AU?  I was hoping it would be based on when he opened the account no listed me as an AU.  Opted in for what?  

Almost any other issuer (BofA, Chase, etc) will give you (as an AU) the same account opening date is the original cardholder. Amex used to do this, but changed their ways a few years ago, and will now give you an account opening date that is the same as the day you were added as an AU. That is better than nothing if you have no other options, but if he has other cards you should consider on (or a couple) of those instead. Also, if you can afford it, keep adding to your security deposit for your secured card(s) as you'll have a bigger limit when they unsecure.

7 hours ago, get.randy said:

Amex used to do this, but changed their ways a few years ago, and will now give you an account opening date that is the same as the day you were added as an AU

Was not aware of this.  Thanks for the heads up.  I do know his primary card is AMEX but he does have a few others.  I should have the Discover Card in a week or two.  Submitted the app for NFCU this morning so I hope to have that approved in a week or so.  I plan on getting one of their secured cards once I get the checking / savings account opened.  Does it make sense to kick up the security deposit up on one card vs the other?  From what I read NFCU does their first review at 3 months then again at 6.  Would it make better sense to kick that deposit up to say $1500 based on the review time?  I then kick up the deposit on the Discover in a couple of months given their 8 month review cycle.